Vandoorne F1 Career On Hold with Formula E Move Confirmed

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Stoffel Vandoorne Formula E Drive 2.jpg

Struggling McLaren Renault driver Stoffel Vandoorne has signed to race with the HWA Formula E team next season, ending a largely disappointing start to his Formula One career.

Many believed Belgian driver Vandoorne to be something of a star of the future following his runaway GP2 success in 2015, leading the much sought after driver to sign with the recovering McLaren squad as replacement for outgoing 2009 World Champion Jenson Button.

Fresh off of a record breaking GP2 season and an outstanding Grand Prix debut in place of the injured Fernando Alonso during the 2016 Bahrain Grand Prix, Vandoorne would have to shoulder plenty of expectation from fans and team management as he went about the business of learning his trade in arguably one of the most difficult seats in Grand Prix racing – alongside double champion Fernando Alonso whist strapped into a struggling McLaren Honda car.

With the British outfit having opted for an all new line-up of Lando Norris and Carlos Sainz next year, Vandoorne would find himself struggling to find a suitable drive to remain in Grand Prix racing, the only realistic outside chance at Sauber having closed off thanks to the Swiss team securing the shock signing of Kimi Raikkonen alongside Ferrari junior Antonio Giozinazzi next year.

Without much chance of a race seat in 2019, and keen to rebuild a reputation that has taken something of a battering in recent seasons, Vandoorne has jumped at the chance to re-establish himself in the ever expanding Formula E category, signing for the HWA Mercedes team alongside newly crowned 2018 DTM champion and long-time Mercedes man Gary Paffett:

"I am honoured that HWA have signed me for their Formula E programme," said Vandoorne.​

"HWA are such a great team with a long and successful history in motorsport. All the people I've met so far are really passionate about racing.

"Also, it´s great to work alongside such an experienced driver as [HWA FE teammate] Gary Paffett. I am pretty sure that we will benefit from each other during the season.

"Although we are all newbies to the series, I have no doubt that we will have a steep learning curve.

"However, it won't be easy. My objective is therefore to become competitive in the series as soon as possible and to make a good impression."

It is expected that Vandoorne will get his first taste of car and team during the pre-season test at Valencia this Tuesday (16/10), sampling the car before heading off to continue his McLaren Formula One commitments at the United States Grand Prix in Austin, Texas.

Stoffel Vandoorne Formula E Drive.jpg

For more from the world of Grand Prix racing, don't forget to check out the Formula One forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved in the conversation.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Do you think a move to Formula E is the correct one for Vandoorne? Can the current McLaren driver make it back to Grand Prix racing, do you think? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Formula E: The series of failed F1 drivers.

I think failed is a bit too strong my friend...

Vandoorne hasn't had a chance to shine at all in F1. The car was bad, the whole team is still in a bit of a mess. He did the best he could in a troubled situation, and with money mattering more than ever in F1 he's probably decided he needs some rest from the mental battering that his time in F1 has caused.

I don't blame him at all, and I don't envy the two new drivers for next year. I think McLaren unfortunately will be mid-field for the force-able future.

It's probably just me having watched F1 for most of my life, but I always think some talented drivers are throwing millions of their sponsorship and backing into season after season of misery in frankly rubbish cars. Unless you are in the top three teams you stand no chance now. If after three years it's not working, get out and enjoy life again. Race WEC, F-E, Indycar, whatever makes you happy.

In the 80's and 90's F1 was the ultimate goal, it isn't now. There are other top series that are just as technically superb and frankly provide better entertainment.

I'm surprised he didn't try the jump to Indycar, but maybe he wanted to stay in a FIA sanctioned series. Maybe with all the manufacturers getting involved drivers see it as a way of getting themselves noticed.

Good luck to him, some drivers just bow their head and walk away, at least he's still fighting.

Failed .......his new team mate, DTM champion, Williams test driver @ 37 years old
What a life :)

Formula-E will be huge in a decades time, he would be just 36 years old
Happy for him at least he has a chance of becoming a World Champion
Not F1 where only 1 or 2 drivers and teams can ever win

Formula-E............. 4 years 4 winners 4 teams :geek:

Formula E as with everything that is Electric is nothing more than a stop gap. Well that is until we find an alternative to fossil fuels that will benefit all not just the middle classes.

Hopelessly failed, totally outclassed by 'old man' Alonso. Sometimes a series doesn't fit to a certain driver. F1 didn't do it for him, maybe the move to FE can help him start shining. The best of luck for him.

Manufactures are coming into E they have long term plans
Mercedes-Benz and Porsche who else will come
E is the foremost advertisement for electrics, why would they want to lose that ?

Cars are getting faster every year, few years time they will make circuits wider, more open
Good thing is E circuits are disposable and easily replaceable year to year

Formula E sounds like a cool club.

Honestly though, Formula E is looking more and more like the real future of "F1" class racing. Even the halo looks cool on those cars (I still have no desire to sim race with that thing on the car though)

Formula E sounds like a cool club.

Honestly though, Formula E is looking more and more like the real future of "F1" class racing. Even the halo looks cool on those cars (I still have no desire to sim race with that thing on the car though)

Yeah the cars look pretty good, my only two complaints about the series are maybe try and create better street track layouts (I know the stop start nature is required for re-gen but just something wider with more variety maybe), and go to slicks. I still think the cars look too road car on treaded tyres.

Yeah the cars look pretty good, my only two complaints about the series are maybe try and create better street track layouts (I know the stop start nature is required for re-gen but just something wider with more variety maybe), and go to slicks. I still think the cars look too road car on treaded tyres.
There is another reason they use grooved tires, less friction. Because if the tires would be slicks they could only be 2/3 of the width, any more rubber on the car would actually slow it down.
But having a top-tier formula class on such narrow tires would look seriously uncool.
They only drive with about the same laptimes as an F4. But this year they should be a bit faster.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back