Valentino Rossi Injured in Motocross Accident

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Valentino Rossi Motocross Accident 3.jpg

Nine-time World Champion Valentino Rossi has reportedly broken his leg in a sizable Motocross accident in Italy, potentially signalling the end of the Italian hero's top line career.

Rossi, 38, currently sits in fourth place in the MotoGP standings riding his works Yamaha YZR-M1 -recently fighting for the victory at Silverstone before eventually dropping off the leading pack and finishing in third position last weekend.

Although reports from the event remain confused, it appears as though the Italian rider has sustained a serious injury to his and fibula of the leg he previous broke in 2010, almost certainly putting him out for a good portion of the current season and ending any chance of taking a record tenth World Championship.

Speaking to media, Rossi’s father Graziano told ANSA: “Valentino is not optimistic. They fear there is a fracture. To do the radiograph they had to cut the boot, and Valentino told me he feels very bad.”

Further news on the condition of the rider is expected to be released in the coming days, however a recent statement from his Movistar Yamaha team has confirmed the rider has suffered from an injury, with further official word on his condition has yet to be revealed:

“Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Team rider Valentino Rossi was involved in an enduro accident, during a training activity close to his hometown, on Thursday, August 31st.

“The 38-year-old Italian rider was taken to the 'Ospedale Civile di Urbino' for a check-up. A further medical bulletin will be issued in due course.”
Who will replace Rossi for the remainder of the season, and what the accident means to the future career of the firm fan favourite remains open to speculation at this time. At 38 years of age Rossi is undoubtedly towards the end of a spectacular career, and with an injury as potentially serious as a major leg break could very possibly spell the end of the road for one of bike racing and motorsports greatest sportsmen of all time.

I appreciate we don't normally cover bike racing news here at RD, but I suspect this news about a rider of the talent and popularity of Rossi would be of interest to enough of our readers to be worth writing up a short article news piece. My apologies if this isn't something you are interested in reading, it is very much a one off ;)

For more motorsport news head over to the Motorsports Sub Forum and catch up with your fellow community members.

Valentino Rossi Motocross Accident 2.jpg
Valentino Rossi Motocross Accident 4.jpg
Valentino Rossi Motocross Accident.jpg

Do you think a leg break for Rossi could mean the end of his top level professional career? Can the Italian recover in time to fight for the title again next season? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
He shouldn't try to recover in a super fast pace like in 2010.. he should take his time and comeback when he's at 100%.. like Federer did this year (tennis mode on)
Much agreed. I hope this doesnt mark the end of his amazing career. My entire family support Rossi, and the moment I told my parents that he had broken his leg and was out for the rest of the season, they were really upset! As am I. Even if he takes next year out and returns for just two or three more years following. We need a high for Rossi to finish on, and I hope thats what Rossi is hoping for too! Get well soon Valentino!

• Deleted member 6919

Been watching Rossi since his 125cc days, he is simply Mr MotoGP, and as already said, I hope he's doesn't rush back, but it's a real shame as this season is so close for the top 4, if Rossi can't win it now then my vote would go to Dovi, I think this guy so deserves to win the title once in his career, and for me it would piss on Lorezo's fire which makes me happy..

Last edited by a moderator:
Such a sad news.
Although I'm not exactly a Rossi fan, I got more excited when some other drivers are on top spots... I do respect that MotoGP granpa'.
Knowing him, he'll be back on track for the last few races. Mark my words. Or rather not ...but it could happen. :D
You mean Dovi ? :)

He's a motorcycle racer. The doctors will put a million sheets of metal in his leg and he'll be out at the next race. They're crazy like that.

View attachment 209610
Rossi, 39, currently sits in fourth place in the MotoGP standings...
“The 38-year-old Italian rider was taken to the 'Ospedale Civile di Urbino' for a check-up. A further medical bulletin will be issued in due course.”
...At 38 years of age Rossi is undoubtedly towards the end of a spectacular career...

Can the Italian recover in time to fight for the title again next season?

Of course! He grew one year yesterday afternoon, he is probably recovered as we talk!:p

• Deleted member 130869

TT, 500cc and MotoGP riders are much tougher than average and he'll likely still ride injured or recovering. I'd like to find out more information and from credible sources - especially the man himself on social media - before estimating how long he'll be out. Despite his age, he's extremely fit and his body far better conditioned to deal with injuries.

Last edited by a moderator:
if i was team boss I would forbid doing this dumb **** in a race season!
bey bey championship
Haha, guys living on the edge and always taking high risks forbidding taking risks outside the track. Ain't gonna happen since it isn't F1's pussy circus.

Besides that, Rossi's influence on Dorna is greater than meets the eye. Even if this means the end of his carreer as an active MotoGP racer, it will not be the last thing we will hear and see from Vale.

UPDATE

Rossi underwent surgery last night (31/08) on what has been reported as displaced fractures of his tibia and fibula of his right leg.

Rossi said: “The surgery went well. This morning, when I woke up, I felt already good.

“I would like to thank the staff of the Ospedali Riuniti in Ancona, and in particular Doctor Pascarella who operated on me.

“I’m very sorry for the incident. Now I want to be back on my bike as soon as possible. I will do my best to make it happen!”

He shouldn't try to recover in a super fast pace like in 2010.. he should take his time and comeback when he's at 100%.. like Federer did this year (tennis mode on)

I disagree with you, sure it will only him to decide .. for a 38 years guys there is not much time left for continue to race and try to win .. Time ago Lorenzo ran with a broken clavicle the same weekend of the accident, I hope Rossi do the same thing in Misano (-;

Last edited:
I disagree with you, sure it will only him to decide .. for a 38 years guys there is not much time left for continue to race and try to win .. Time ago Lorenzo ran with a broken clavicle the same weekend of the accident, I hope Rossi do the same thing in Misano (-;

That weekend with Lorenzo breaking his collarbone really stands out in my memory in MotoGP. I don't really like him too much, but breaking a collarbone in FP2, flying out, getting it worked on, flying back, getting through the other sessions and then taking 5th place in the race...really astounding stuff.

I'm sure one who is as spritely and determined as Rossi will not want to leave on a whimper of an injury. I had a feeling that the year had already been written off by him with the strange 2017 Yamaha troubles they've been having, still close though. Positive words from him in his update, but we'll always expect to see that

Appreciate the article RD, from those of us who follow multiple motorsport disciplines haha.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back