Valencia GP under threat

Chris Jenkins

Driving til the wheels fall off
The future of the European Grand Prix at the Valencia circuit has come under threat after the local government confirmed it would seek to renegotiate a cheaper deal with Bernie Ecclestone.

The event, which has been held around the Valencia street circuit since 2008, is costing the government too much money, according to Jose Ciscar, vice-president of the Generalitat Valenciana.
"The big events are under full and absolute review. They are not viable as they have been until now," he said.
"The big events have had an important value up until now but the circumstances force us to prioritise."
It's expected that Ciscar and the government will approach Ecclestone, who usually takes a hard line against contract re-negotations, in an attempt to reduce the hosting fee.

"With contracts signed, we can't be imprudent because the penalty could cost us more. We have to find balanced solutions," he added in regards to Valencia's contract which doesn't expire until 2014.

Ciscar admitted that "nothing can be ruled out", but didn't go as far as to say the event could be axed if savings couldn't be made.

Source: The F1 Times

If Bernie agrees to this, I will be less than impressed.
Especially as Turkey had they're request to have their race fee kept the same rejected (Fee was $13m per year, Bernie wanted to increase it to £26m per year. Turkey said no, Bernie said bye bye).

No body cares about the Valencia race, so Bernie should show some consistency.

I actually think Bernie's too greedy. Doubling the race fee in 1 year is absurd - in 8 years, when all the traditional races have been out-priced and the richer(read oil) countries are bored with their new toy - for which they never had any passion to start with - Bernie will be begging countries to host a few races.

I could be wrong, but it feels like that's what's going to happen...

I agree with the comment from Dewal about the oil money. We are losing some nice tracks for desert disneyland style theme parks and trophy tracks. If they lose interest it would tilt the balance of power in the negotiations.
I would not miss Valencia at all however. It is in my view quite an ugly track that produces poor racing and the TV camera angles make it very hard to get a sense of the whole of the race.

If this is happening to Valencia, what will this mean to Barcelona "Spanish GP".

Nothing. Its in a different part of Spain. Funding will be separate for the Catalunya region.

I agree with Dewald that Bernie is a greedy little troll, but if he's going to adopt that attitude towards Turkey, who didn't want pay more than their agreed fee (they were happy to pay the existing fee), then he should adopt the same attitude toward Valencia, who want to pay LESS than their agreed fee.

Nothing. Its in a different part of Spain. Funding will be separate for the Catalunya region.

I agree with Dewald that Bernie is a greedy little troll, but if he's going to adopt that attitude towards Turkey, who didn't want pay more than their agreed fee (they were happy to pay the existing fee), then he should adopt the same attitude toward Valencia, who want to pay LESS than their agreed fee.
geography was never a strong point for me:oops:

I agree about Valencia being a bad track and shouldn't have been built.
I will continue to urge Bernie that if he wants street tracks look and the Americans and Canadians because they are the only ones who can build good ones like Long Beach, Denver, Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal.

I wouldnt really care if the track was dropped from the calendar... Personally, i dont like it, its too much like a wanna-be monaco, but turned out like a car park. Also i dont think any of the Drivers are that in love with it either... Its the one GP i wouldnt go to.

I actually think Bernie's too greedy. Doubling the race fee in 1 year is absurd - in 8 years, when all the traditional races have been out-priced and the richer(read oil) countries are bored with their new toy - for which they never had any passion to start with - Bernie will be begging countries to host a few races.

I could be wrong, but it feels like that's what's going to happen...

It´s not about being greedy. It´s about the whole world wanting F1 to come to their country.
So what happens when you can´t supply enough countries? You increase the price of course.

Funny you mention oil-countries... how many races is in the Middle East next year? 2 i believe... And how many races are there in a season? 20..
So only 10% of all races next year will be in the middle east, or "oil-countries" as you mentioned.
there seems to be some kind of myth going on with middle east and F1.

Some facts. Percentage of races on continents or parts of the world.

40% - Europe - Catalunya, Monte Carlo, Valencia, Silverstone, Hockenheim, Budapest, SPA, Monza
30% - Asia - Kuala Lumpur, Shanghai, Singapore, Suzuka, Yeongam, New Dehli
10% - North America - Austin, Montreal
10% - Middle East - Sakhir, Abu Dhabi
05% - Australia - Melbourne
05% - South America - Sao Paolo

That´s for 2012. OMG Bernie has forgotten Europe!!

I agree about Valencia being a bad track and shouldn't have been built.
I will continue to urge Bernie that if he wants street tracks look and the Americans and Canadians because they are the only ones who can build good ones like Long Beach, Denver, Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal.

Yea, Macau, Monaco, Pau all suck... :)

Makes Long Beach and the rest look like proper racetracks in comparison.

It´s not about being greedy. It´s about the whole world wanting F1 to come to their country.
So what happens when you can´t supply enough countries? You increase the price of course.

Funny you mention oil-countries... how many races is in the Middle East next year? 2 i believe... And how many races are there in a season? 20..
So only 10% of all races next year will be in the middle east, or "oil-countries" as you mentioned.
there seems to be some kind of myth going on with middle east and F1.

Some facts. Percentage of races on continents or parts of the world.

40% - Europe - Catalunya, Monte Carlo, Valencia, Silverstone, Hockenheim, Budapest, SPA, Monza
30% - Asia - Kuala Lumpur, Shanghai, Singapore, Suzuka, Yeongam, New Dehli
10% - North America - Austin, Montreal
10% - Middle East - Sakhir, Abu Dhabi
05% - Australia - Melbourne
05% - South America - Sao Paolo

That´s for 2012. OMG Bernie has forgotten Europe!!

Seems you are assuming that I am worried about Europe - when in fact I am from a continent who hasn't had a race for nearly 2 decades.

And your point still doesn't disprove that Bernie would rather take a host with the most money, even if it's at a cost of a host with little money, but with lots of passion for F1, e.g. my country.

Don't get me wrong - I actually like the Gulf races and the tracks - but in the long term they could be bad for the sport, regardless how excellent the facilities might be.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 302 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 211 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 203 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 152 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 269 13.6%