What is with that insane oversteer and twitching in that video?

What is the approach? Simulator or esports game like TrackMania?

If simulation is the approach, that physics needs some work for sure. But it is something new so i welcome it. But the competition is fierce...

Probably one of the first gameplay. Very early build.
If someone have any question feel free to ask.
Isn't that a bit too much input lag?
The physics seems to be on the hardcore side, which is good, but the surface seem to be very loose again. It's almost a curse of the majority of the modern sims (the most notable example here is rF2).

As for the track generation itself, not sure if it's at that point already where it's worth showing it to a wide audience yet. The track is pretty bland and uninteresting without much height differences... A narrower, twisty hillclimb track would sure spice it up much more, in my opinion.

Nope, to be honest feeling is quite good I must say if we remember that this is simcade for fun.
In terms of track elevation, Luca said it would be in the final version.
BTW. I can imagine rally stages using this procedural technique :inlove:
I see.
Yes, rally stages are for the win! :D

The physics look interesting, but not right for an F1-style car! The tracks... well, they look like some turns connected with straights, rather than anything with any real flow or interest. Of course, many real tracks recently, designed by supposed real humans, have the same problem! Elevation changes will surely help...

Lots of oversteer and sloppiness although it's difficult to say if it's a physics engine problem, car-specific physics problem (rather than a core physics issue), or weird setup or what, HOWEVER, the oversteer does not behave weird and darty and tip-toe sensitive like in many sims' physics engines which is very positive to see. When/while the rear steps around, the car does not behave like the front-end is turning sharply across the track, but instead, the majority of the overall vehicle's momemtum continues forward (or towards the outside of the track during a turn) in the original direction of travel from before the slide began just like in real life (except extreme cases) but unlike many sims including some with the very best overall physics around. This is also an area which Live For Speed excels at as-well relative to most sims.

Hello guys,
I'm Fabio from Vae Victis.

We finally released Racecraft on Steam Early Access last weekend. Here's the Steam page, if you need more info: http://store.steampowered.com/app/346610/

I'm also giving you some details on the contents of this first Early Access release:

• Procedural generation of tracks with different tortuosity and length
  • Cloud saving for tracks and lap records
  • Race Mode vs. 100 progressive AI levels
  • HotLap Mode with Ghost or AI training.
  • Advanced Driving Menu: tune your car while you are driving without losing focus
  • Track Analysis Adaptive Control: controls adapt according to the track shape
  • Support for keyboard, gamepads and Thrustmaster and Logitech wheels
The main features we’re adding within the next 6 months are:
  • Career mode
  • Asynchronous multiplayer
  • VR support
  • Multiplayer
Let me know what you think of the game and if you like it, spread the word around! We need to make virtual racers aware of it.
default_smile.png

Have a good day, guys.
default_smile.png

@Fabio Cristi - Vae Victis

Can you comment on how much or whether we can adjust the frequency and severity of elevation change found on procedural generated tracks? Will they ever feature corners that have a character akin to the more famous and dramatic types such as Eau Rouge or the Senna Esses? How does your procedural track system create balance and flow if any? Can we instruct the system to banish nearly all hints of Tilke-esque design or ask it channel nothing but him?

@Fabio Cristi - Vae Victis

Can you comment on how much or whether we can adjust the frequency and severity of elevation change found on procedural generated tracks? Will they ever feature corners that have a character akin to the more famous and dramatic types such as Eau Rouge or the Senna Esses? How does your procedural track system create balance and flow if any? Can we instruct the system to banish nearly all hints of Tilke-esque design or ask it channel nothing but him?

Hello P*Funk,
the automatic procedural generation will never be as advanced. However, we'd like to create a track editor to allow people doing what you're asking.

Vae Victis Games have released the new "procedural" sandbox racing title Racecraft via the Steam Early Access program.

The Italian developers behind the classic Victory: The Age of Racing have created something a little bit different with this new title, bringing to our shelves a racing game that allows players to utilise an innovative procedural generation of tracks with different tortuosity and length, giving games literally infinite different racing layouts to enjoy.

In an increasing trend in the video game department, Racecraft is now available in a state of Early Access and contains a hotlap mode with ghost or AI training, however over the next 6 months the developers intend to include many updates and features such as a full career mode, Asynchronous multiplayer, Virtual Reality support and multiplayer.

The current version of the game lets players create and save tracks via Cloud, however sharing amongst friends has not yet been implemented but should come in future releases.

Racecraft currently supports keyboards, gamepads and Thrustmaster and Logitech wheels. Although unsupported wheel manufactures may work within the title, future updates are sure to add further support in the coming months.

Keep your eye out right here on RaceDepartment for more news and information on this new title and an upcoming interview with the team at Vae Victis Games in the coming weeks. Racecraft is available to purchase now via Steams' Early Access program for £14.99.

A free demo is also available to download for those interested to try the title but unwilling to commit to the Early Access program.

Will you be trying this new title in Early Access? Do you have it already and want to share your experience? How do you feel about the Procedural generation of tracks feature? Let us know in the comments section below!

RacecraftEA01.png RacecraftEA02.png RacecraftEA03.png RacecraftEA04.png RacecraftEA05.png RacecraftEA06.png RacecraftEA07.png RacecraftEA08.png RacecraftEA09.png

Totally depends on how satisfying the driving is at the end of the day. I don't think the procedural thing is enough on its own, heck, it may not even be a plus. I think a lot of people like racing real tracks. But if the driving is good, and the game gains the ability to randomly generate elevation and banking, then I'm more interested.

Perhaps, however it does seem to be a bit rough around the edges at the moment, and I'm not entirely willing to fork out the money now and hope that it gets better.
If, and probably when, it does get better, then I'd have another look at it for sure.

This is a perfect concept for A.D.D. racers especially since the reason many are A.D.D. racers in the first place is that they don't go deep. So I think it could theoretically catch on with the very casual crowd. I think trying to make it too serious might be a drawback since most serious sim racers aren't combo bingers.

I personally never grow tired of combos and only spend significant time with a new combo when it knocks another combo off of my short list (a very rare occurence after 10 years of sim racing) and that only happens if it is a superior combo and never simply because it is new.

Last edited:
I do like the idea of being able to run championships on level ground (2 hours practice before the race and that's it, nobody's spending 60 hours learning the course a week in advance) but I'm not really interested in open wheelers. Also curious what sort of physics they'll end up with as the concept reminds me a lot of trackmania.

if they could use this idea but make a semi-realistic rally game it would be awesome. all rally games tend to die after your first couple runs on a track.

rally to me is really all about being fast on an unknowable track in all sorts of conditions.

even if the driving was rbr level the tracks would make it beat dirt any day... provided they felt semi realistic. (non of this super clean sci-fi stuff)

Last edited:
If only this were an offroad game with decent physics.

Point to point stages.
Big desert.
Support for long stages.
Trucks and buggies.

Instead it's a circuit racing game. Off road or rally would have made the game something unique, instead... why should I care?

(srsly, someone give us a proper Baja game...)

I do like the idea of being able to run championships on level ground (2 hours practice before the race and that's it, nobody's spending 60 hours learning the course a week in advance) but I'm not really interested in open wheelers. Also curious what sort of physics they'll end up with as the concept reminds me a lot of trackmania.

Id say it sits in between trackmania and pcars, if victory is anything to go by it will be quite fun with a wheel or a controller although not what i would call a sim it can still be very rewarding.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 360 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 180 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.2%