V8 Supercars: Volvo Plays Down Rumours

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
Speculation has grown in recent days that Volvo is intending to join the V8 Supercar championship in 2014. However, the Swedish manufacturer has denied links with the category, stating that they have “no plans to go into motor racing”.

Late on Thursday night, numerous Australian news websites reported that Volvo was in negotiations to provide factory-backing to Garry Rogers Motorsport for the 2014 season and beyond. In spite of this, Volvo Cars Australia and team owner, Garry Rogers, have firmly hosed down speculation about their alleged negotiations.

In response to the conjecture, a Volvo Australia spokesman told Speedcafe; "Volvo Car Australia is constantly looking at a range of partnerships and, like a number of automotive manufacturers, is fully aware of V8 Supercars Car of the Future strategy, but we have no plans to go motor racing".

Further fueling the rumours, Volvo Australia recently commissioned a limited production run of high performance S60 road cars to be sold in Australia in the coming weeks. The S60 model is currently contesting the Scandinavian Touring Car Championship, and many believe that the chassis is similar to that of the newly introduced Nissan Altima that entered the category at the beginning of this year.

Garry Rogers was similarly staunch in his denial of the speculation, telling Speedcafe that he has “just about given up on that [2014] because it’s probably too late”. Rogers suggested that he “takes absolutely no notice of any paddock chat because that’s exactly what it is”. His Melbourne-based team has campaigned Holden Commodore’s since 1996, and currently receives no financial support from Holden. The veteran team owner has however confirmed that he is seeking to negotiate a factory deal for 2014.

Volvo already has an Australian Touring Car Championship to their name, with Kiwi Robbie Francevic successful in 1986 at the helm of a dealer-supported 240 Turbo. The Swedish manufacturer also supported a tilt at the Australian Super Touring program in the late 1990's using an S40, which propelled them to victory in the 1999 manufacturer’s championship and the 1998 Bathurst 1000.

Volvo would be the fifth manufacturer to compete in the series under the new “Car of the Future” regulations, alongside the recently joined Nissan and Mercedes marques. Chrysler is also rumoured to be in talks to join the category next year.

Image: TenTenths
View the Post on the Blog

I hope they will enter. Would be great to have a Volvo touring car racing again in one of the premier tintop series.

Not sure what kind of engine they would use as V8 is not really their thing :)

I hope they will enter. Would be great to have a Volvo touring car racing again in one of the premier tintop series.

Not sure what kind of engine they would use as V8 is not really their thing :)
The rules require it to be naturally-aspirated 5.0 litre V8. So it would be a V8. However, it doesn't matter if the road car doesn't use a V8 (I'm guessing it doesn't), or at least not anymore - that was one of the changes made with the new COTF rules. A sensible move I think, seeing as V8s are dropping in popularity in 'normal' (i.e. non-super-/sports-/muscle-) cars.

But does Volvo build V8 engines at all? I think even the US models are max a 5 cylinder. Or maybe a purpose build racing engine just for the series?
i believe V8SC were looking at getting a company to produce a 'generic' V8 engine of sorts, so companies can bring a chassis and a (hopefully) top engine is already available to them for usage

i think Volvo would be a great addition, on another note last year safety car was Nissan GTR and they are in the serie today. this year safety car is a Chrysler so i'm wondering if they will join the serie next year and its the best kept secret so far :rolleyes:

i think Volvo would be a great addition, on another note last year safety car was Nissan GTR and they are in the serie today. this year safety car is a Chrysler so i'm wondering if they will join the serie next year and its the best kept secret so far :rolleyes:
maybe both? Volvo tomorrow, Chrysler in the next 6 months? (although they are running out of teams to work with...)

maybe both? Volvo tomorrow, Chrysler in the next 6 months? (although they are running out of teams to work with...)

i did a little exercise and here's the 2014 teams and manifacturers as of now.

Holden
-Triple Eight Engineering (2 cars)
-Holden Racing Team (3 cars)
-Tony D'alberto Racing (1 car)
-Tekno Autosports (2 cars)
-Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport (2 cars)
-Brad Jones Racing (3 cars)

Ford
-Ford Performance Racing (4 cars)
-Dick Jonhson Racing (2 cars)

Nissan
-Nissan Motorsport (4 cars)

Mercedes
-Erebus Motorsport (3 cars)

Volvo
-Garry Rogers Motorsport (2 cars)

so we have the 28 drivers but as you can see many teams still use the Holden so one of them could easely go to Chrysler for next year, the three last team in the list using the Holden now could have a huge benefit to switch to Chrysler.

what i would like to see is an almost even number of cars by manifacturer, so if Erebus would take Tony D'Alberto Racing under its wing and one other team could be tempted to go with Volvo lets say Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport and lets say Tekno Autosports and Brad Jones Racing would go for Chrysler it would look like this

Holden 5 cars
Ford 6 cars
Nissan 4 cars
Mercedes 4 cars
Volvo 4 cars
Chrysler 5 cars

that would be an awesome picture :) but i ever doudt that my scenario will ever come close to be realize :roflmao:

that would be an awesome picture :) but i ever doudt that my scenario will ever come close to be realize :roflmao:

I reckon Brad Jones is the next to jump ship to a new maker, they might get Chrysler (they have also worked with Audi...), otherwise D'Alberto is in with HRT/Walkinshaw, and both LDR and Tekno have Triple Eight, so they wouldn't move, they have great cars and no real facilities for a new car.
so that leaves the ford cars. they're losing the falcon in 2016, and Ford in Aus is making no sudden movements to attempt to reassure anyone that they'll continue beyond (fusion perhaps?). FPR were rumoured to be getting BMW lined up, and Dick Johnson has mentioned they'll move manufacturers if Ford pull out.
all in all, there may be no privateers in a few years :O_o: (I think I'm assuming too much :roflmao:)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 360 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 180 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.2%