(V8)Supercars @ Newcastle Finalé *may contain spoilers*

That final race though, not sure I've seen anything like it in my life of watching motorsport! If the conspiracy about the PLP wasn't bad enough the following events just resulted in me shouting at the TV so much the neighbours thought I was watching football!

Not shouting through anger but shear excitement at what was unfolding before my eyes, I was glued to watching something so bizarre and at the same time great that I didn't know what was happening....all the while screaming at Simona De Silvestro to "make that same pass again FFS" as she was on fire in both races, just damn unlucky at the same time.

Then after all that there was still THAT twist at the end, I mean you couldn't script that, not in a million years, incredible stuff. (I won't spoil it for others as some may be waiting for the highlights)

As for the track my initial thoughts when I first saw the layout were "meh...another street circuit" but my god was I turned around, those sweeping downhill turns overlooking the harbour, the run into the hairpin, the climb up to Turn 2, I'd give anything for a proper simulation representation in any of our beloved Sims for that track. It makes Adelaide look tame in comparison it's that good, an absolute beast of a track.

Probably one of the best seasons I've had of watching the Aussie V8s (12 years now) and next season could be better, DJR-Team Penske will be fired up, the Andretti gang will try and make their mark and Simona will get her first win....mark my words!

Yup, what a cracking final weekend! The end of the last race was something not even the wildest script writers could make up. I do think a certain driver with 3 digits milked what happened for all its worth though, where the car went after 'it'.....definitely forced (look like he flicked it through the box to me to aim for payback).

A season finale for the conspiracy theorists that's for sure. Especially the timing from the stewards, very iffy if you ask me. I must agree with you though, Simona was great at this round, the first level playing field, hopefully that's a good sign for her next year. Enjoyed her return of serve on Slade in race 2, think she needs more aggression going up/down the gears though, she seems a bit Sunday driver compared to others.

I hope next year they get a better camera in those sweeping downhill bits though, and maybe one low angle camera between T1 and T2 to get a better idea of the elevation.

Wouldn't say it was my preferred result, but....a real classic race. Almost needed a lay down afterwards with the way it all happened :roflmao:
I really think it is the gold standard for racing. What other series do you get the top fifteen within 0.3 of each other in quali and the top 23 within 0.8 seconds!?

I live literally on the other side of the planet, in a country without any proper racing traditions whatsoever, and, being vintage cars enthusiast, I don't give a single F about modern auto-racing... except for V-8 Supercars series, which I've been following with great interest since Bathurst 2006 :D. The Sunday spectacle only proved it's worth it.

The track - I'm not excited about limited number of passing places, which puts too much emphasis on quali and strategy. That being said, with this flowing layout, very unusual for street circuits, plus a spectacular background scenery, it's a very nice addition to the roster. A mix of perpendicular straights plus esplanade and some elevation changes - reminds me the good old Long Beach, back from the times, when F1 used to drive there in the '70s.

And it they ever decide to name the corners rather than giving them numbers only, one of them just MUST be named "De Silvestro" :D.

As for the Sunday race, it's difficult to talk about it without spoilers (though whoever really wanted to watch it, probably already did, and whoever still wants to do it, probably avoids RD anyway ;) ). Let's say that even though I was keeping all my the fingers firmly crossed for the man who ended up being very unhappy, after the race I thought he did not deserve a better result after all. One might question the whole pitlane entry debacle, but he still had plenty of laps left afterwards to do the right thing. Yet, he had a sloppy race with too many sloppy situations he shouldn't have put himself in. In my opinion, on that day, an experienced cold head prevailed over ambitious hot head, cracking under the pressure. One must learn to deal with such pressure properly to get his hands on THE trophy (I believe the day will come, however).

Looking forward to the next season! I'm sure It's going to ba a hit. God/Vishnu/Spaghetti Monster/Whatever bless the Aussies, Kiwis and their Touring Car racing!

**Possible Spoilers**

Just watched back the end of the race....

The penalty they can't appeal because "it was during the race" is quite a grey area, as the winner had crossed the line and taken the chequered flag BEFORE the penalty was given. Is the end of the race from the first car who finishes or the last car? As the penalty wasn't given during the race for half the grid. I'd argue that point anyway :p

Penalty was given about 3 car lengths from the line....definitely a rush job!

Well as someone who literally lives on the circuit in Newcastle East this was one of the most entertaining events I’ve ever witnessed in Supercars and I got to watch it from my balcony!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 86 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 322 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 456 39.3%