V8 Supercars Championship in RFactor

Recently MJQT shared an old V8 supercars mod. Much to my surprise V8 supercars suit's RFactor. The door rubbing action lends itself perfectly to the game and makes for some fun racing. However, there is no track pack or championship for the game, and I think It would be fun to begin collecting all the tracks together into a package and creating a championship for everyone to enjoy. If you are interested in helping out, then please say hello. I will upload and update a file with the tracks as things progress.

Would love to help out with this!

For others' reference, links to tracks to use with V8 Factor can be found at this post:

One small set of changes I've already made for myself to the AIWs was to the FuelUse values at some tracks (some of which were far too small – especially the XR tracks IIRC). Can test this by running a moderately long races (or better, a race as long as a full fuel stint) and watching out for when the AI pit. If they pit too early, bump it up. I changed the values to something 1000 or so above the value suggested by the guitarmaen AIW editor, seemed to work.

EDIT: for a formula for the FuelUse value, see this thread
https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...it-one-lap-before-the-end.220139/post-3491297 where Bjarne Hansen says
Fuel_Use should be ~ 16 times Lap length in Race 07.
I start with (15.5 X Lap_Length) and it works for the most with the cars I prefer in Race 07.
Always a good idea to add fuel for a couple of laps more than needed as driver fuel use depend a little on how aggressive you drive.
The fuel use ~ 16 times lap length are more for the Ai not to run out of fuel but also not handicap them self with way to much fuel.

Last edited:
A suggested PLR tweak from the original mod README:

AI Limiter="0.00000" -> Default is "1". The V8Factor AI race better when this parameter is set to zero. Otherwise you occasionally get one or two cars having an extremely slow lap, which tends to cause collisions.

I've also been using Shovas' PLR AI-related tweaked values from his GTR2 mod and having a good experience. This may give poor results or may not make much difference, though, we'll have to see.

EDIT: spelling

Last edited:
Another thing to make sure of is that downloaded mod tracks are entered into the config file which auto-determines fuel cell size, differential setting, and so on for each track. Might have a bearing on AI default tyre selection (i.e. Sprint versus Enduro) as well, but I'm not sure. All real-world tracks have a preset in the file, but the specific modded version you have of that real-world track (such as the XR tracks or FVR 2012 Hamilton track) might not. For the track name in the config file, you use the TrackName in the mod track's GDB file.

Last edited:
Hmmm, to which config file are you referring. Is it the championship file?
With the fuel calculation in the AIW, I believe the correct estimate is track length x 16. This works well in Race07. I presume it is the same for Rfactor.
I think the way to proceed and keep things organized is to create the file structure like in the game. E.g.: rFactor/GameData/Locations. Then, place all relevant files, Tracks Talent files, and championship files in their correct locations. This way, as we modify things, we can upload the complete set of files, and people download and paste them into their game folder, updating everything we have changed.
I think the first thing to do is agree on the tracks we will use and get them all together, and start testing and fixing any AIW problems, there are several variations over the years, but for a start, I will list all tracks from 2007.

Adelaide Street circuit. Adelaide 2011
Barbagallo
Pukekohe
Winton
Eastern Creek
Hidden Valley. FVR_HiddenValley W2P 190113A... Another FVR track they let me download.
Queensland Raceway
Oran Park
Sandown
Mount Panorama BathurstORSM
Surfers Paradise Street
Bahrain
Symmons Plains
Phillip Island

I have put in the tracks I know are good. I will test more tracks and add them to the list as I get more time. And also work out the variations for the different years. Lots of AIW work to be done. This will take a while :)

This is just ideas so feel free to tell me what you think.

Hmmm, to which config file are you referring. Is it the championship file?
No, it's somewhere in the Vehicles directory, I think. I don't remember what it's called at the moment. It lets you auto-configure the correct fuel cell, differential, and stuff like that for each track. ORSM included an impressive number of mod tracks in the file, so many will work out of the box, but some will have to be added in.

I think the first thing to do is agree on the tracks we will use and get them all together
Yes, 100% agree!

Adelaide Street circuit. Adelaide 2011
Barbagallo2013
XRPukekohe
XRWinton
XREasternCreek
Hidden Valley (I had the RSM version, is okay, but updated FVR track probably better)
XRQueensland
Oran Park LIDAR
Sandown 2012
Townsville 2012 (there are two, I don't like the one from FVR as much)
Homebush Sydney Telstra 500 (two versions, one from RaceFactor converted from rF2 and one from FVR)
Mount Panorama BathurstORSM
Surfers Paradise Street (GoldCoast, 2012 version)
Bahrain (WCP 2015 version)
Symmons Plains (the one here on RD)
Also can't forget the gorgeous Hamilton 2012 by FVR converted from rF2 you uploaded (layout of the track is slightly different in 2012 versus 2008-2011, though)
PhillipIsland2013
Have added clarifications above about the track versions I thought were best – please let me know if you had similar thoughts, or prefer different versions. :)

One thing we'll have to watch out for are the different layouts of Bahrain and Abu Dhabi that Supercars ran in these years. In particular, in Abu Dhabi, they ran a cool layout chopping off the part of the track leading to the big hairpin. I've never seen this layout simulated in a mod myself, but I've read there might be a 2009 version of the track for rFactor that contains that layout – haven't found it on the web, yet, though.

P.S. An invaluable resource will be that Supercars has posted the full races for many of the 2007-2012 seasons on YouTube! Have been enjoying watching some of them for fun recently, but may also be useful reference material.

Last edited:
Ok, I will see If I can figure out this config file when I have spare time.
I am playing catch-up for the moment, downloading the versions you mentioned and testing how they work (to ensure I have the correct versions).
I had some strange version of Winton yesterday that was only 8Mb. I wasted some time searching for a better version and completely missed the XR version you mentioned. I got that fixed now. I cannot find the Homebush-Sydney Racefactor track.
Yes, I haven't forgotten the Hamilton track, it just wasn't raced in 2007. That will be one of the variations when I work out which new tracks are raced each year.

In order to really appreciate this mod, I think you need to watch several V8 supercar races on youtube :) Otherwise, you may not appreciate just how much they bump and rub in real life.

Ok, I will see If I can figure out this config file when I have spare time.
Okay, just booted rFactor and checked... for each year, there's a different config file. So for 2012, look within GameData\Vehicle\ORSM\V8factor12 and open the text file TrackconfigV8SC12. For other years, it's the text file TrackconfigV8SC__ in folder V8factor__.

I am playing catch-up for the moment, downloading the versions you mentioned and testing how they work (to ensure I have the correct versions).
Yeah, of course! It's a lot of stuff to find, and you kinda have to dig around for it all. Be sure to PM me if there are any tracks you can't find – although all the Aussie and NZ tracks should be available at the links in my post from before.

WCP 2015 Bahrain and Abu Dhabi can be found at akosfodi wixsite com fodiakos/rfactor-tracks . I think these are the best versions of those two tracks available, but if you find a better or more appropriate option, please let me know!

I cannot find the Homebush-Sydney Racefactor track.
A RaceFactor version of Homebush for rF1 is actually here on RD:
https://www.racedepartment.com/down...racefactor-modding-team-and-frosty-888.27107/ Pretty sure this is the exact mod one I have on my machine.

Yes, I haven't forgotten the Hamilton track, it just wasn't raced in 2007. That will be one of the variations when I work out which new tracks are raced each year.
Gotcha.

One nice solution for the other years would be if a track modder (or one of us) added a new layout for the 2012 Hamilton mod with the one additional wall and some different ads to reflect how the track was in previous years?

Similarly, Pukekohe was raced without the chicane on the back straight (and with pretty multicoloured kerbs) in 2007. Just found a rFactor mod for this era -- was extremely hard to find though, so I've uploaded the copy I found here on RaceDepartment.

In order to really appreciate this mod, I think you need to watch several V8 supercar races on youtube :) Otherwise, you may not appreciate just how much they bump and rub in real life.
100% agree. Had forgotten how spicy the racing is! :roflmao: Has been so much fun watching the races recently in my spare time :) For anyone who's wondering, the Supercars YT channel has put up playlists: 2011 season is here, 2012 season is here, 2007 season is here.

Last edited:
Screenshot (20).png

We have been working on that behind the scenes. If you are interested, you could join in on the private conversation, download the file with all the tracks, give it a bit of a look, make suggestions, or even help with updating AIW files. We welcome all input. There is a lot of work to do.

As per the suggestion from @M1GHTY M4VS I've started an XLS spreadsheet with 2003-2012 real-world V8 Supercars championships and info about track mods. File is attached. Have filled in most of 2007, and some of 2008. Hopefully this proves helpful!

Attachments

• Supercars Championships.xls
    56.5 KB · Views: 109
The not-to-be-linked TrippTeam server has track packs for V8 Supercars, at least for olden years, and IIRC more than one general Australian track pack. However, RaceDepartment likely has newer versions of some of those tracks.

The not-to-be-linked TrippTeam server has track packs for V8 Supercars, at least for olden years, and IIRC more than one general Australian track pack. However, RaceDepartment likely has newer versions of some of those tracks.
Cheers aasasd, Yes, I have been going over the tracks on Trippteam, trying to find any versions we may not have, and downloading some of those packs just in case they have a different version I haven't seen before.
MJQT has been sorting out and tuning the 2012 season, and It seems he is almost finished and has all the correct tracks. I have been working my way through the 2007 season.
One elusive track we have been looking for is FVR Gold Coast 2009. It's the extended version of the Surfers Paradise track.

extended version of the Surfers Paradise track

Didn't know that there was such a thing. Was it very different, though? On racingcircuits.info, the only change I can spot is the new pit lane, which was kept in later years on the shortened circuit. However, the site might've missed a variation of the track specifically for Supercars.

Last edited:
Didn't know that there was such a thing. Was it very different, though? On racingcircuits.info, the only change I can spot is the new pit lane, which was kept in later years on the shortened circuit. However, the site might've missed a variation of the track specifically for Supercars.
I believe by "extended" Speednut just meant the original layout, which is longer than the version they run today (since 2010). IIRC the track stayed almost the same from the 90s up to the new layout in 2010. Kerbs got a little less severe (and the pit lane change I had never noticed, honestly) but I see little else different between CART in 1998 and the V8s in 2007, for example.

There's a version popular in rFactor, GTR2, and AMS for the long original layout, but it's kinda cursed IMO – a little wide, and flat kerbs. So we've been looking for an alternative. FVR 2009 looks most promising, but no luck yet finding a version available to download for rFactor 1. If there are GTR2 versions, then there must have been an rF1 version too... hopefully someone can find it eventually.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back