v1.38 Micro-stuttering

Chris

Premium
Hello there :)

I seem to be getting a lot of micro-stuttering on v1.38. They seem to be at one second intervals. It's not a gamebreaking issue as they're quite small, but they're just noticeable enough to be a nuisance.

I've tried an array of different things like lowering graphical settings, altering refresh rates etc. etc. and so far, only the only thing that has fixed it was when I turned V-sync ON, but, in doing so resulted in a huge amount of input lag, so it's not really a solution.

My specs:
  • Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
  • Intel i5 4460
  • 8gb RAM
  • MSI GeForce GTX770 Twin Frozr

Any help would be appreciated. :)

On a side note, I do seem to also be having issues with a huge amount of shadow flickering that seems to develop and get worse as the session goes on, and does make the game unplayable.

If you're using f.lux try turning on its Safe Mode. Occasionally it will interfere with games I play such as GSC and CS:GO by causing stuttering every second, because it polls every second to check that nothing has changed the monitor colour profile.

What Msportdan says should help with the microstuttering.

There's also a temporary fix for shadow flickering: please add "-fullproc" to the game's command line. It's not ideal, but it should work until we develop a definite fix.
Just confirming, is it really "-fullproc", as I've always thought it was "+fullproc". Any way to check my set parameter is working?

Just confirming, is it really "-fullproc", as I've always thought it was "+fullproc". Any way to check my set parameter is working?

Yes, it's -fullproc because what it does is set the game to use only one core instead of all your processor cores. That's why I said it's a temporary fix - it does fix shadow flickering, but it means you might lose overall performance.

What Msportdan says should help with the microstuttering.

There's also a temporary fix for shadow flickering: please add "-fullproc" to the game's command line. It's not ideal, but it should work until we develop a definite fix.
Thanks! That fixed the shadows going crazy :)

But the stuttering still remains. It's not as noticeable at some tracks like Montreal or Spielberg, but at others like Buenos Aires it's very very noticeable.

But the stuttering still remains

Chris try the alternate video timing available via this PLR flag.

Code:
Max Framerate="-61" // 0 to disable, for regular exe only, see multiplayer.ini for dedicated server framerate, new: use negative values for alternate timing

I have a 60Hz monitor... I set monitor refresh +1 frame, and with my system the alternate timing shows improved performance. Many users report improved (micro stutter) performance by using vsync.

Do not add 1 frame to your framerate or you will have a constant stutter over and over and over again because the game is outputting 1 more frame than your monitor outputs, constantly, over and over again. Set that number to the same number the game's refresh rate is set to. Make sure to put the negative sign in front of the number (e.g. -60, not 60, or -100, not 100, etc.). It may be different in Gringo's case (regarding the extra frame) because he is using vSync, but without using vSync, it will add a constant, non-stop stutter/hiccup/frame-skip. Speaking of vSync, I highly advise against the use of vSync or any form of "sync" for simracing (but I love it for just about every other game) as it adds input lag, on top of that, as others have suggested, make sure to set max pre-rendered frames to 1 as that will lower input lag further.

I've also noticed that my configuration tool doesn't appear to save the settings that I give it.
For example I tried setting the resolution to 1920x1080 and then the refresh rate to 59Hz, then clicked okay. I then opened the config tool again just to check that it had saved, and it had reset to 800x600 at 56Hz

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 107 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 148 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 281 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 407 39.9%