v1.07 any advice, tips or tricks for faster lap times?

Tl;dr: any advice, tips or tricks for faster lap times in ACC V1.07, with the aim of getting closer to the real world lap times? I'm looking for those marginal gains.

I'm enjoying the latest V1.07 tyre model and traction control, my lap times are far more consistent, even a single change in TC level is often noticable and there is an overall more connected feeling in all the cars. In most games, I can usually match the real world lap times after a bit of effort. I'm no alien and I'm not looking for those seemingly impossible times but squeezing a bit more from ACC would be good. Oh and this is almost certainly about me and my abilities, not the game so don't think I'm knocking the game in any way.

However, after a few days of practice, I've hit a performance plateau. I'm slightly faster in all the cars since V1.07 dropped (although there are no in-game lap times recorded the fastest personal best ghost is there for each car in Hotlapping mode). I've improved by between 0.3 to 0.5s a lap for the cars I'm fastest with (AMG, R8, Lexus, Bentley, Aston, 650).

Taking Brands Hatch as the example I'm stuck at a consistent 1.24.5 where the real cars are closer to 1:23.2. I've seen videos with people matching and exceeding the real world times at various builds of the game so it seems the times are more than possible.

Here are a few of the things I've done to try and find the time:

Car Control - I've used the in-game rating system car control feedback on-screen during lapping to see what the game is saying about my cornering - currently around the 80 mark. It has been extremely useful to see where I was pushing too hard and fast into corners or taking the wrong angle of approach and steering too much. That said trying to both go faster and keep a smooth wheel action without pushing to understeer is tricky.

Consistency rating - with the consistency rating I'm over 90 pretty much all the time with the V1.07 tyres. I can lap at the same speeds in qualifying and the race which means somewhere I'm not able to take advantage of the lower fuel and greater grip of the tyres in hotlapping/qualifying. This puts me mid-pack vs 100% AI or able to compete effectively with 90% AI.

Wheel weight - I've adjusted the wheel weight to get as much feel as possible with the TX 458 wheelbase and 30cm FXX rim. Turning up the weight of the wheel any further results in the 'too much steering' response in Car Control. I matched the same times on both a Logi G29 and TS-XW wheel so it seems this is the nut behind the wheel related rather than hardware.

VR vs 2d - my ties are consistent in both, usually, VR helps find a couple of 10ths but now I've reached this consistent level both are pretty much the same with the VR laps rated slightly better in terms of car control (for me it seems easier to open the wheel earlier after the apex with the extra visual perception of VR).

Setups - generally I'm slightly quicker (0.5-1s) with the aggressive setups and lower TC. I've used a few of the setups from the threads here to gain up to another 0.4s. Nothing has been truly transformative in terms of the way the cars handle but no doubt they are small gains that help.

External replay cameras - watched back my laps on the external cameras to make sure I'm using all of the track. I seem to be but ACC seems so sensitive to exact turn-in points that I think I'm probably still entering corners too quickly and pushing wide rather than maximising the speed at each point. ACC does feel like it has almost one groove it wants the player to follow and is much less forgiving than some other games.

Graphics and game performance - I don't think there is much to be gained here as it's all buttery smooth up to 4k 60fps or fixed at 45fps in VR but if there are settings that make a difference I'll give them a try. I saw an earlier thread about v-sync on and off :) and that definitely makes no difference.

Any suggestions welcome and no doubt a few 'git gud' quips along the way. :)

Last edited:
Hi Mark,

Given what you have said, I would think its just the 1%-ers that are holding you back.
CN rating sounds good, though may suggest you aren't pushing the boundaries too hard. CC seems a little low (then again, mine may just be high!) so it might be the setup. That may sound odd, but let me explain.....

As the CC rating measures loss of control/over-driving it is measuring tyre scrub. If your setup is inherently understeery then it might be causing the CC rating to drop as you have a lot of scrub angle. You also mentioned that none of the setups you used "Nothing has been truly transformative in terms of the way the cars handle but no doubt they are small gains that help"....which sounds to me like you need a slightly different setup to reach the full potential of speed. I had the same thing with another member on here, he felt that the car was good, the setup was stable and did what he wanted, but just didn't have that last bit of speed. Eventually we managed to dial in a bit more of what I could see the setup needed (plus a couple of technique/line changes) and its made a big difference!

I reckon I can adjust an FR car ok, so if you need a hand let me know. :thumbsup:

I agree, I think I'm getting too excited, pushing too hard and scrubbing the tyres too much. I am going to focus on improving my technique and CC rating first. I think I may be leaning on the TC too much too which in turn is allowing me to get away with poor technique. I ran a few laps with TC off and it was easier than I remember in v1.06 and before.

Thanks re the setup help too, will do.

I wouldn't trust the Car Control rating much, it's heavily biased towards a certain driving style, doesn't seem to take into account what car/track you're driving and overall doesn't say much. (though it's much better now than it was at the beginning of early access) Mine was recently murdered by the SRO Esport qualifier at Nurburgring with the AMG GT3, but hey guess anyone able to reach top 12 pace has poor car control since we're all "overdriving" like crazy according to CC rating... :roflmao:

Usually easier to tell someone what they're doing wrong with a video and telemetry :)

I wouldn't trust the Car Control rating much, it's heavily biased towards a certain driving style, doesn't seem to take into account what car/track you're driving and overall doesn't say much. (though it's much better now than it was at the beginning of early access) Mine was recently murdered by the SRO Esport qualifier at Nurburgring with the AMG GT3, but hey guess anyone able to reach top 12 pace has poor car control since we're all "overdriving" like crazy according to CC rating... :roflmao:

Usually easier to tell someone what they're doing wrong with a video and telemetry :)
Overdriving is trying to let you know about your excessive front tyre scrubbing. Maybe that's what is preventing you from getting closer than half a second off per lap?

Overdriving is trying to let you know about your excessive front tyre scrubbing. Maybe that's what is preventing you from getting closer than half a second off per lap?
On the run I registered it was a small part of it aye, but most of it was due to my line through the first sector which was wrong (and had been for a long time apparently)

@speedyx56 that's an impressive result and thanks for the suggestions, once I get a bit closer I will do with the video and telemetry if I can't figure out the answer for myself. I wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something more obvious first. I'm doing this just for the personal satisfaction of matching the real-world times.

I did look again at Car Control and I found:

- changing the DOR back to 900 (from 540) in the Thrustmaster control panel gave me much better Car Control Ratings in-game, with an immediate jump up to 86 (and CN 96).

- This also gained me a consistent 0.2s so I'm getting closer, ever so slowly but at least it is a consistent improvement I can repeat lap after lap. I can also run lower TC settings without upsetting the car but it hasn't made me faster.

- I agree that ACC seems fussy over the use of one particular line and it's almost a game in itself of finding that line. This is quite unusual to me as real-world instructors often have different ideas about how to approach certain corners. I agree CC can be a harsh judge in races where lines have to vary and also the wet when some sliding is almost inevitable.

- As soon as I start pushing I am scrubbing the tyres and I am losing time.

On with the search for that elusive second!

May I ask you on what conditions you are practicing(ambient/track temp, grip level) ?
I am on similar situation, driving the porsche, I am even slower low 1.25s on Optimal track 16-20 degrees and low 1.26 on a fast track 27-30 degrees. Can't seem to get faster, tried many setup experiment, different approaches, telemetry, but laptime doesn't change. CC is staying around 85 and CN varies between 96-98.

It seems we can't gain those last 0.05-0.1 per corner which only aliens can gain :)

Sure, I'm using Optimal in Hotlapping mode and I've tried both 1pm and 3pm but that didn't seem to make any difference to my times. Maybe I need to try a cooler time of day with the optimal track?

I struggle with the Porsche, it's much better since the v1.07 update but is still one of the more difficult cars to handle on the limit for me - at Brands my fastest is a 1.26.3. I tried all the cars in safe and aggressive setup and then narrowed it down to the few I felt most connected to.

Definitely, a challenge to find that last bit of performance. On the upside, I'm more consistent in my lap times on ACC than any game before but finding that last bit of speed is eluding me so far.

In hotlap mode, there is a big gap between 1:25s and aliens. There is something wrong with the setup or the racing lines if you can't get into the 1:24s.

For sure, I'm at a consistent 1.24.3 in the cars I feel connected to and trying to match more like real-world 1.23.2/3 - definitely not trying to match the aliens I've seen a couple of YouTube videos of ACC various builds running 1.22s!

I'm just challenging myself to get a bit more time from ACC which has a remarkably lifelike feel to the cars.

With a 'fast' strack condition and 30L of fuel I can hit 24 flat in the AMG. But theres still a bit of setup work to do as it has a tiny bit too much understeer.

What would be handy is to see one of your setups for brands (especially for me, the AMG or lexus) just to see if there is anything obvious...

Thanks, my fastest times have been with the tune available in the ACC setups thread:

https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/mercedes-amg-gt3-setup-brands-hatch-1-23-265.169238/

I can consistently lap between 1.24.3-5 and all green on the CC rating but I haven't been able to find any more time. I accept it's likely that I'm the limiting factor and I've reached my talent limit!! All the same, it's fun attempting to improve.

With the Lexus I've just been using the aggressive setup, that car and setup have the most natural and real feel in the game to me.

I agree that the Lexus feels very natural to drive. But for me, there's a lot of small tweaks from the original aggressive setup to get it faster.

That AMG setup has a bit more camber and TC than I'd use, but that's mainly because I focus on race setups.
Suspension seems understeery, but then it looks like there's a lot of rake to compensate (just looking at the json in notepad at the moment so don't know exact values). It seems its set for oversteer and high speed and understeer at low speed, which could make it hard to be consistently fast. Personally I usually try and have a car that's throttle balanced, but then I'm quite odd when it comes to driving I've been told :roflmao:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 81 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 314 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 446 39.4%