v0.7.9.0 Beta testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendon Pywell

Bob's Track Builder
Hi Guys,

Beta testing of the next version will start very soon. If you wish to participate, please read on.

Preparation

BACKUP - You should be doing this anyway, but make sure you backup your project before using the new BETA version. I test this on my own projects first but it still pays to be safe.

If you wish to keep your current version of BTB running, make a copy (do not just rename the current one) of the folder and name it something obvious like BobsTrackBuilderv0_7_0_6.

Uninstall BTB v0.7.0.6.

Installation

Download here --> http://www.bobstrackbuilder.net/pro_users/beta_test.aspx

Download and install as usual. Copy your existing license to the folder.

Known Issues

- Opening Materials window causes error : still waitying for more feedback on this from people experiencing the problem.
- AIW paths are messed up in some circumstances : fix in progress.

Reporting Problems

Only report problems with the Beta here. This is not a thread for "what I want to see .." ideas.

Please check the manual (press F1) first before asking for help.

When sending me a project please zip the entire contents of your project (eg. The entire folder C:\Program Files\BobsTrackBuilder\My Projects\My Project). You could omit and XPack.zip files that are the standard ones downloaded from the BTB website.

Changes

Check out the videos in this thread to see the major changes ...
http://forum.racedepartment.com/bobs-track-builder/20052-progress-update-aiw-editing-video.html
http://forum.racedepartment.com/bobs-track-builder/18599-progress-report.html

Added/Changed
• Cross-sections
- Editing of cross-section for track and walls now performed through the 3d window, although 2d window can still be used.
- Added Cross-section template support to XPacker. Different shaped roads and walls can be defined in an XPack allowing the BTB user to quickly use a standard shape.
- In BTB Right-click to open the popup menu and select a new cross-section template when editing the track or walls. (Tip: in the 3d view the opening of the popup menu is delayed because the right mouse is used for looking around. To have it open immediately you can right-click-left-click).
- Copy/Paste of cross-section shape and materials.
- Sped up track cross-section editing with huge improvements for large tracks with lots of objects.
• XPacker - Added ability to categorise Materials so that some are not shown in some windows. Eg. Materials applicable to Objects are not show in Track’s Material selection.
• Material selection now performed through popup window instead of always being in the surface/wall window.
• Insertion of Track Nodes performed by holding the Control key when you click on the Track (instead of having a separate tool).
• Road edge transition now a straight line instead of the smoothed interpolation used for height shape transition.
• Objects, when in rotation edit mode, can be rotated by holding the Y key instead of clicking the circles. X and Z can also be used for other axis but Y will be most popular since it controls the Yaw.
• Old method of creating Driveline made with a lot of points is now replaced by new Curve method.
• AIW editing allows adding/editing of:
- Centreline path
- Pitlane path
- Fast path
- Corridors
- Grid / Teleport positions can be attached to Centerline or moved independently.
- Garage / Pit positions can be attached to the pitlane or moved independently.
• Drag Pacenotes around by clicking on them instead of grabbing them by their balls.
• Positioning of everything (Cambers, widths, cross-section surfaces) along the track made more accurate. This also applies to walls.
• Evo export lowered to make horizon start at a better position.

Fixed:
• SObjects not being named when created.
• Alpha textured objects were not receiving light in rF, and Evo games.
• Rotation/resizing whole track was not affecting the SObjects.
• Bug in terrain Fill (under some circumstances).
• Crash when Projects folder is deleted by user and then BTB started.

As stated in the video I do not intend to support every possible AI feature, oinly the basics needed to get working AI paths. If you wish to add/edit the AI futher I suggest you use one or more of the tools here ... http://forum.racedepartment.com/bob...-beginners-guide-making-rfactor-aiw-file.html

I just wanted to post about the possible static camera bug in btb. There was no mention of any camera stuff in the release notes.

So I assume the possible bug still exists in this latest version. I've posted a description of the problem here with necessary files to go with it:
http://forum.racedepartment.com/bobs-track-builder/20171-cameras.html#post356988

Great to see btb growing and getting more complete step by step. Defenately a dream app for us who have no access and skills for 3max and such!

• Spencer Battersby

I don't have that exact version of the track any more but I will try and replicate the error on my end on a track and then zip it up and upload it.

• markfaz

Cross Section Error:

I build a new Cross-Section

I also have this error..
I built a cross-section in X-Packer, added materials and zipped to BTB.
Upon loading, BTB alerts me with the error, and again when trying to select my X-Pack.

Cheers,
Mark.

--- i've had immediate crashes each time i've tried to move terrain anchor points in an existing project.

--- could you please include an option to export a 'nude' aiw file like the old versions? i can't change the new exported aiw file with the 1255 editor without it crashing rfactor, and to make a new aiw file from scratch is faster for me.

i've tried using my aiw files that worked with the last btb version (including a 'nude' aiw exported from the previous btb version and a fully made 1255aiw, but now it seems the aiw waypoints, pitspots, garage etc have moved about 5m to the side and 1m down, so it's all goofed. i've tried creating new aiw files. i've tried deleting parts from the new aiw files and re-doing them, but whether it's new or old, any time i text-edit the aiw files (apart from racegroovewidth) it corrupts the aiw.

--- it would be good if we could select multiple nodes for corridors because shifting each on a long straight takes so long. also if we could manually select non-line node corridor sections to edit when needed.

i initally tried deleting superfluous centre-line points so i didn't have to move so many corridors but that de-linearised the waypoints and caused the cars to wander off the road. i guess that's an rfactor thing. this time i didn't delete any points in the centre or fast line but only moved them left/right and the cars follow the road well.

--- the race groove normally starts at the start of the braking zone, but with a btb aiw it only seems to start at turn in. it's possibly more realistic, but not the norm for rfactor. is it a bug or feature? the width and lightness/darkness feature is nice though.

--- imo, the btb aiw facility is good in theory. it would be worth it alone if i could manage to copy/paste garage/grid/pit spots into existing aiw files. i don't know if that works for other people but it doesn't for me. the centre line is much easier to get right in btb, but the race groove is for me much faster to do and generally better/more natural when done in game. the pit extensions are critical for many people so it's a major handicap that you can't get them working. it wouldn't be so bad if i could then fix one up ingame, but as i said, it mucks up the file.

i've followed DDawg's text editing/deleting tips in the aiw beginner's guide thread but even that mucks it up for me. so the (seemingly) simple solution (for me atleast) is the additional option of exporting the old type 'nude' aiw as with previous versions and then having to go to the bother of spending an hour (or two if i'm unlucky) in making a new aiw file ingame.

edit: i should add that i also tried clearing the aiw data and exporting a 'nude' file from this beta but for whatever reason it also crashed after using the 1225 editor.

I have this problem with AIW editor, I don't know if it's my mistake or if it's a bug of the BETA...

Attachments

• GRAB_179.JPG
    GRAB_179.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 276
Hey, not sure if this a 7.9.0, thing but I have started several new tracks with the new beta, and apart from some of the problems that have already been covered all works great.
Tonight I completed a track and packed the mas files, then opened it in simmed and can only select the startlights (rightclick selection) no matter where I click on the track.
In the original BTB format ( loose files ) I can select anything normally.

I have tracked it down to the fact I had 3 start light objects along the grid. I have deleted 2 of them in BTB, reexported and repacked and can now select every thing again.
( side note, all the cars are bouncing on the road when I load the not right packed version of the track. haven't tried the new version in game yet )

I had i think 3 on another track I did, but they where added with simmed. All worked ok in that instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 285 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%