V-WTCC by SimBin Studios and Eurosport Events

vwtccrelease2.jpg

Eurosport and SimBin Studios are proud to announce V-WTCC, the Virtual World Touring Car Championship.
A unique motor sport concept combining the best out of two worlds: the FIA WTCC and the SimBin game RACE 07 online and on site.
During five semi-finals held at the European WTCC events, gamers will fight on site for a seat in the Grand Finale at the FIA WTCC race meeting in Monza.
Just like WTCC the virtual counterpart V-WTCC will be broadcast on Eurosport within the youth-oriented programme BUZZ.
Each round will kick off with an online pre-qualifying period and all current and future RACE 07 owners will have instant access from the game menu to the in-game registration for V-WTCC.
Make sure to stay tuned for more information about pre-qualifying and opening of the virtual paddock.

Source: FIA WTCC

Just re-read the announcement on the home page and realised its actually just a big hot lap competition.

That's made me very sad - its not really "racing" then. Also, to call it Virtual World Touring Car Championship 2012 isn't really correct, maybe it should be called Virtual World Touring Car Hotlap Championship 2012.

Anyway, will still keep an eye out for further information, but I hope they can incorporate at least some racing into the championship. Shame that the FIA have also taken out the British stage of the championship, so would have to compete from home. :(

They just posted this on the RaceRoom forum.. let's look forward to V-WTCC 2013? =P

MarcusJaeger said:
We had to make a hard decision with regeards to the V-WTCC project, but the decision was not taken lightly.

It is very busy times for SimBin and we are focusing very hard on our upcoming project(s). For that reason we have decided it is wise to postpone any continuation of the V-WTCC project up until a later date.

We have taken this decision in order to maintain focus on new game technologies in development. With our development teams hard at work building our next generation of games, the scope and vision of the V-WTCC series compelled us to postpone the V-WTCC concept as it is now. It is our belief that such a series deserves to be done utilizing our latest game and web technologies. We've got a big year ahead of us, and while postponing this project was a difficult decision to make, we believe the road ahead will reveal that it was done for all the right reasons.

Pfff, is this really posted? Then for god sake let them outsource it to RD and we'll do a competition for them. Can't be that hard. You don't need all the new tracks to do a V-WTCC. Just a proper budget and a few man hours.

Ofcourse there might be other ways of doing a v-wtcc, and believe me we have looked at plenty, but it would always have been a compromis.

This was going to take a lot of time and effort from our production team, and that time and effort we like to spend on other, far more important, things right now.

An alternative would have been better than nothing Jay. As said you don't need all the new cars and tracks for a proper competition to entertain the customers.

Imo if you promise something you have to deliver or then at least properly announce it being cancelled. Its that people reported about it otherwise nobody would have noticed it as the forum announcement is locked for replies and tucked away :)

Now please do surprise us with something really cool then in August. That project must be finished by now as the holiday season started now I guess? Will come by for sure at GC to have a look.

Well the decission we made is an alternative option, maybe not one you or anyone else (or us) would prefer, but that is sometimes how things go.....FYI It says nowhere that you are getting nothing, you are just not getting it now. It being a change of plans IMO it does not require a major press release if you ask me.

I hope you come along on the press day @gamescom, it gets crowded (hot and sweaty) really fast, you have my number so let me know when you are in the area!

Edit:
I do agree on that the announcement could have been made earlier, but since we are opimists that sometimes bites you in the ass.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back