V-sync? what is it

Vertical synchronization (v-sync, vbl-sync) refers generally to the synchronization of frame changes with the vertical blanking interval. Since CRTs were nearly the only common video display technology prior to the widespread adoption of LCDs, the frame buffers in computer graphics hardware are designed to match the CRT characteristic of drawing images from the top down a line at a time by replacing the data of the previous frame in the buffer with that of the next frame in a similar fashion. If the frame buffer is updated with a new image while the image is being transmitted to the display, the frame buffer gives it the current mishmash of both frames, producing a page tearing artifact partway down the image.
Vertical synchronization eliminates this by timing frame buffer fills to coincide with the vertical blanking interval, thus ensuring that only whole frames are seen on-screen.
Computer games often allow vertical synchronization as an option, because it delays the image update until the vertical blanking interval. This can cause lowered frame rates due to latency (the period of the refresh rate at maximum), which might be undesirable in games that require fast response (e.g. first person shooters).
VSYNC is also the name of the signal indicating this frame change in analogue RGB component video.

• Edward Leake

I use vsync for several reasons, firstly using a TFT you are stuck at a refresh of 60 or 70Hz (depending on screen) and therefore your screen is locked to refershing 60 times a second, no more, no less.

So why have you graphics card working flat out to push 90-100... 120 fps? All it's doing is generating heat and using power, applying vsync makes my 4870 run much cooler and is therefore much more stable.

In addition not using vsync can create screen tearing on your TFT, some people aren't sensitive to it but myself I can see when a TFT is tearing or not working at optimal refresh.

Unfortunately you may find vsync doesn't work perfectly with your graphics card and/or driver, you may get anomoly or crashs because of it. For me it works fine, so I use it.

It should be noted that my system can easily handle a constant 60fps at full detail and perhaps that's why I don't get any problems:

AMD 5000 BE @ 3.35GHz, 2GB DDR2 @ 900MHz, ATi 4870 @ 800/2GHz 1024MB.

Actually V-Sync should lower your frame rates significantly as Vsync will sync your frame rate to the refresh rate on your monitor.

For Example when I run GTR Evo with VSync off I get 120 or so FPS when I run with Vsync on I only get the 60 FPS that is the Hz rating on my monitor. While 60-75 is all that the human eye can really distinguish why artificially limit your FPS?

If you have a pc configuration which gives you enough fps with VSync off, with enough i mean 100 or more then i would suggest you to to turn on VSync. Better picture quality and frames are in sync with the refreshrate.

Just try it and if it does not work good turn it off.

I suggest you run D3DOverider too then you have the best picture quality and speed.
This is added with Rivatuner.

If you have a pc configuration which gives you enough fps with VSync off, with enough i mean 100 or more then i would suggest you to to turn on VSync. Better picture quality and frames are in sync with the refreshrate.

Just try it and if it does not work good turn it off.

I suggest you run D3DOverider too then you have the best picture quality and speed.
This is added with Rivatuner.

Read more about Riva Tuner here

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 235 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%