Using Plugins with Steam Gtr2

After the smart guys from Crew Chief, 'The Iron Wolf' and 'Spartan' discovered that the Steam version of Gtr2 can import rf1 plugins and made Crew Chief available for Gtr2.

Have tried a number of rf1 plugins in gtr2.
Fare from all rf1 plugins works so it is likely only a part of the Rfactor 1 API is available in gtr2

First only the Steam version of Gtr2 are able to use Plugins so you need that.
Now it got some annoying things that is easy to fix.

Fixing grayed out Porsche and Ferrari's
Open Steam version of gtr2.exe in a hex editor
Find PORSCHE.FERRARI and replace with XXXXXXX.XXXXXXX
Just overwrite with X or anything else for that matter
Save and you are good to go.

To apply the 4gb fix ether use the 4gb patch app or open the .exe in CFF explore or similar and set the + 2gb flag.

To get Changing weather in race to work. Apply the Changing weather patch by JSTN.
Fortunately since the Steam gtr2 are unprotected you can do it to the .exe

Find in hex: 54, 65, 73, 74, 44, 61, 79
In text: Testday
And replace with 52, 61, 63, 65, 00, 00, 00
In text: Race...
But make sure the '.' are 00
There are two instances do not change PrivateTestday or you lose the ability to practice on your own.
Save gtr2.exe and you now have changing weather in gtr2.

The Iron Wolf might/ Will make this patch with his crewchief plugin so make sure to pay attention to that.
Lastly the Steam version of Gtr2 do not use or need steam so make a copy from the Steam folder to anywhere you want and run gtr2 from there.

Last it looks to me that the Steam version are using feet to measure clip plan distances where the older gtr.exe are using meters.
Find ClipPlanes=(0.17500, 500.00000)
replace with
ClipPlanes=(0.500, 500.0) ~ ClipPlanes=(0.570, 1500.0)
This will stop the most of the texture flicker
The best value depends on the FOV value you use.
And in your .plr file
Find Rearview Front Clip="1.00000"
And replace with Rearview Front Clip="3.50000" again try 3.0 to 4.0 what ever is best for your setup
This will limited/ eliminate the steering wheel from the rearview mirror.
Sometimes you will still see the driver arms.

Plugins that works.
The most important is off course Crew Chief so get that and read the instruction.
The VR they have made are nothing short of fantastic and has made Gtr2 my favorite VR race sim.

RealFeel:
Works I use a older version from 2007 that is about 120kb.
Find it very nice with bumps and do not get the slightly damped feeling I sometimes get with AMS

LeoFFB:
Works but since it is part of realfeel I only use RealFeel.

GID:
Works but you have to hex edit Gtr2.exe into the d3d9.dll
Download this one from here on RD
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/gid-patched-for-ams.9349/
Open the d3d9.dll in a hex editor.
Find AMS.exe, believe there are 4 of them and replace AMS.exe with GTR2.exe
save and you are good to go.
Have not been able to get TrackMap to work but if important use Simhub.
Have tried to contact Fazerbox a few times the last months but doesn't looks like he checking his email anymore.

Simhub:
Great app works via the RfactorSharedmemoryMap.dll
The best is for me the Bass speaker output. Got a set of $20 small amps and some daytona tactical transducers.
But also most widget works and are very easy to convert and change.

Second Monitor:
Works with same plugin as Simhub.
It is a Motec like app you can run on a second monitor or even on another PC on same network.
Only the suspension data is not collected which is a bummer for setup.

Got SpotterAddon, Dave F1 to work by moving Fmodex.dll from the plugins folder to root folder
But kind of pointless as Crew Chief are a much better option and gets updates for Gtr2.

If you have issues with getting any of the hex edits to work you can PM me for a solution.

Would be nice with a download section for Plugins that works with Gtr2?

Bjarne - really nice summary here, thanks for doing it :)
Are you 100% sure RealFeel does work with GTR2? That would be really great, because that plugin was bringing rF1 much closer to rF2 level. Do you know what is the exact version you tried - 0.92?

Last edited:
It is one of the old one, The one in AMS do nothing for me.
Mainly the bumps are much more realistic.
Link for the version I use
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgPo4qFW57tfm2VpW3bC74oLPfAA?e=poYhe8

I do not think all is working and have no luck with the keypad.
So edit manually for each car but most i just leave on 1500
Using smoothing levels on twitchy FFB cars. otherwise i leave it at 0

The strange thing are i am not a huge fan of Realfeel in AMS as I feel it dampens the weight transfer feel.
Since FFB in rfactor and AMS got some more values that we was told was fixed in Gtr2 I assume only parts of it have effects.
But I like it what I get from it in Gtr2.

I've tried this with GTR2 and an AccuForce. I'm pretty sure it's working. I thought RealFeel would be a whole new FFB implementation based on telemetry but that doesn't seem to be what it's doing. It seems to be mixing in new effects on top of the game ffb. I can tell because my effects like steer vibe and brake vibe are still there.

To me it primarily introduces what feels like a dampened steering column, reminds me of AMS1 FFB (also RealFeel so makes sense).

What I hope it's doing is mixing in gyroscopic forces from the rotation of the wheels to generate that damped feeling (think AC1's experimental gyro effect).

I think I like the feeling. At least enough to try to tune in some damping on my FFB mod. This is a good contrast, actually, because whereas my damping feels static the RealFeel damping feels dynamic in some ways.

It might be mixing in other effects but they're subtle and difficult to feel.

Last edited:
I've tried this with GTR2 and an AccuForce. I'm pretty sure it's working. I thought RealFeel would be a whole new FFB implementation based on telemetry but that doesn't seem to be what it's doing. It seems to be mixing in new effects on top of the game ffb. I can tell because my effects like steer vibe and brake vibe are still there.

To me it primarily introduces what feels like a dampened steering column, reminds me of AMS1 FFB (also RealFeel so makes sense).

What I hope it's doing is mixing in gyroscopic forces from the rotation of the wheels to generate that damped feeling (think AC1's experimental gyro effect).

I think I like the feeling. At least enough to try to tune in some damping on my FFB mod. This is a good contrast, actually, because whereas my damping feels static the RealFeel damping feels dynamic in some ways.

It might be mixing in other effects but they're subtle and difficult to feel.
Thanks. Do you happen to know if it only works if game is running as Admin? I tried Admin, don't think it helped, but normally I do not run Admin as it breaks several things in my setup. Also, do you get any output in Console or Log?

Maybe effect of this plugin is very subtle, or depends on what FFB settings are used in the .plr file.

Last edited:
Did a lot of googling - there are hints that effects should be on "Low" for this to work, and some other settings should be at some specific value, but it isn't clear exactly which, as they use rF1 names. Anyway, hopefully more people share their findings :) I think once I set effects to low, I notice the difference - FFB is slightly more dynamic. But I am not 100% sure still.

BTW, since this is plugin thread - if someone is using SimTools, make sure to update GTR2 plugin, it now provides full support :)

I always run as admin. Will try without.

I noticed I wasn't getting any output from the console, not sure about log will check.

Do you have any links talking about Low ffb effects and the rf1 names for other settings?

Last edited:
I always run as admin. Will try without.
Would be really grateful. I know this is not how majority of people runs stuff, but admin mode causes complications with accessing desktop in VR and requires more tools elevated as a chain reaction.

The link:

I am looking forward to your findings, and thanks for all the work you've put into GTR2! :)

Would be really grateful. I know this is not how majority of people runs stuff, but admin mode causes complications with accessing desktop in VR and requires more tools elevated as a chain reaction.

So, I tried without Admin or Compatibility, and I think it felt the same whether Admin or not. I tried enabling/disabling RealFeel via the ini, too. When enabled it audibly says "RealFeel is enabled" and it says "RealFeel is disabled" when I disable it in in the ini, as I jumped into the cockpit..

It's not a huge difference. Just some lesser strength around center and a more damped feeling. I was also looking for the AC1 gyro feeling but I couldn't quite sense it. Something about this damping feels better than the PLR "FFB steer damper coefficient" param, though, I just can't quite put my finger on it.

The link:

^ I definitely notice what that guy is talking about: " I followed all the steps yet in every car I use there about 90 degrees to each side before I get any resistance." On my AccuForce I do get some strength but it's much less than what I'm used to with my ffb and I can imagine on a G25 like that guy has it would feel like a center deadzone.

Last edited:
^ I definitely notice what that guy is talking about: " I followed all the steps yet in every car I use there about 90 degrees to each side before I get any resistance." On my AccuForce I do get some strength but it's much less than what I'm used to with my ffb and I can imagine on a G25 like that guy has it would feel like a center deadzone.
I think I noticed oscillation to be gone around center (that might be related to the above). I am currently driving 94s F1, so there's not much steering range.

Thanks, really appreciate Admin test. I hear message with admin off as well, but differences are so subtle that it is questionable if something is happening.

Well, let's keep sharing our findings around this. There might be some hidden potential due to how plr settings interact with the plugin. Also, I couldn't find any detailed explanation about what plugin settings do, especially those two:

MaxForceAtSteeringRack=1500.000000
SteeringDamper=2500.000000

so if you learn anything, please share.

No promises, but I am planing some FFB related fixes later down the road... (my Holy Grail goal). At that point I will have a look whether RF values are being ignored by GTR2 internally, or not. If they are, I might try to fix the wiring.

Last edited:
Just tried doubling those Max FOrce and Steering Damper settings and it didn't feel any different.

Took a look at the log, nothing in there at all. Nothing in my console as I recall.

Apparently, if you have speech enabled in the ini file you should be able to hear something when you change values according to these shortcuts but I don't think I've ever heard anything.

1606177583472.png

Just tried doubling those Max FOrce and Steering Damper settings and it didn't feel any different.

Took a look at the log, nothing in there at all. Nothing in my console as I recall.

Apparently, if you have speech enabled in the ini file you should be able to hear something when you change values according to these shortcuts but I don't think I've ever heard anything.

View attachment 422177
yep, all those things that make me suspect that nothing is happening at all...

Last edited:
I am not so sure it is placebo.
Playing with the AMS version of RealFeel right.
AMS do not have console output nor speech nor log ether but clearly it works and works better then in Gtr2.
Have newer got MaxForceAtSteeringRack to work
But even on my entry level g27 steering wheel I can feel the difference on curbs and with smoothing levels.
I can deal out the gear grinding (G27) with smoothing levels.
Maybe it is just the LeoFFB that works maybe it is just placebo.

Hope Iron wolf can figure out some FFB improvement.

One easy way are with Simhub and some tactical transducers.
My setup are less than $100 and makes Gtr2 a different experience with just bumps and great shifting effect
Will highly recommend trying out Simhub even just for the HUD.
Serious thinking about adding some rev controlled fans to my setup.
Could be a nice feature in VR

I'm back! Picked up a plain 1080 which is pretty much on par (+10% maybe) with my 980 ti. Found it locally, used for a good price. I just needed a replacement cheap-ish so wasn't worried about getting an old card. My computer's too old to be spending too much money on it right now.

I'm actually really, really happy about this new card because I now realize my old card was (1) causing instability (literal hard crashes and reboots at random; now everything is so nicely stable), and (2) it didn't like DirectX 9 in GTR2 so I always had to set DX8 lol! Now all that's solved.

It's such a pleasant experience having a stable computer. I put up with that 980 ti for like 5+ years.

Last edited:
I'm trying out RealFeel again, spamming experiments with config, simhub, keyvoard shortcuts, console/log tricks, checking rF1/AMS1 configs for hints, etc. Just to see if I can get something.

Will let you know if I discover anything.

Can I confirm these steps are sufficient?

1. Install stock GTR2 with Steam.

2. Copy rFactorSharedMemoryMap.dll and RealFeelPlugin.dll to GTR2\Plugins\

3. Start GTR2: Once in cockpit you hear "RealFeel is enabled" through speakers

Is that all? There was some talk of .exe file names and maybe hex editing files. Is that needed?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 107 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 148 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 281 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 407 39.9%