USB inputs and powered hubs

All, this is not a race sim specific question, this is really to do with inputs in general, and stems from me wanting to use one PC to be the heart of both a race sim and a flight sim.

My current setup is that I have one rig (the one in the signature pic) that doubles as a race sim and a flight sim. That also goes for the PC that runs it, my logic being that only having one rig that I have to change from one sim type to another, there is no point in spending double on a redundant PC.

Lately I have concluded that as the flight sim now is so massively complicated to keep disassembling just so I can go racing, I will now look at a dedicated Race rig. I do, however want to try and keep using one PC, as it is an expensive bit and one good PC will do both, and I can't use both rigs at the same time! It also means an upgrade to it benefits both.

The problem comes from the sheer number of USB connections, primarily driven by the flight sim. With over 20 USB connections, it becomes a pain to disconnect and reconnect, and keep all the wiring good. At the moment, I am trying to keep all the USB connections to the main inputs and also the Arduinos as direct to the USB3 sockets in either the motherboard or a dedicated PCIe USB3 card, and use (predominantly powered) USB hubs for all else. I had noticed increased lag on some items with rising numbers of connections, hence the direct connection.

What I would prefer to do is to have all the rig USB connections go daisy chained into one powered hub, and then that is then a single connection into the PC - so only one USB cable to connect each time. My fear is this would lead to increase lag, so want to know what I can do to minimise the number of USB connections I have to disconnect each time, without causing other issues like lag

I hope I explained that correctly - I know some general concepts of USB, but what I know isn't sufficient to help me understand why the lag would occur or how to avoid it

Cheers

Les

Last edited:
I cannot attest to lag, however I encountered intermittent connection / disconnection problems using my 3 daisy chained USB 3.0 monitor hubs.

I've also experienced intermittent connection problems with my USB PCI-E card.

Thus I plug all critical components (e.g wheel and pedals, shifter, handbrake) directly into the motherboard's USB ports, motion platform into the PCI-E expansion card and less critical peripherals (e.g. keyboard USB receiver, mouse USB receiver, button boxes etc.) into my various USB hubs.

I have everyday power ( to save power ) and a dedicated sim tower

One of the best purchases I have ever made was this hub

This HUB powers down individual ports when not used unlike all towers and all most all other hubs that are constantly powered, that includes most that have dedicated power

I swap it between 2 towers never had a issue along with display hubs I swap in a few seconds

If I had 2 expensive towers dedicated to driving and flight that needed more then 13 USB ports I would buy 2 of these and split up to 26 devices per tower , then you would never need to swap a lead
between towers ;)

That is a better way then daisy chaining imho like I said tried that and was never 100% reliable for all devices at the same time

Using low powered everyday tower when not simmng or flying will pay for itself

P.S. I also use best USB extension leads as short as possible

Last edited:
Great video above which lays out the issues and how difficult it can be to solve the problem. TLDR = AMD and/or adding additional USB controllers to handle/balance the traffic. In addition to the one shown in the video, I've linked 2 more quality cards with integrated controllers if you are having USB issues/need to increase the number of controllers available:

Dual 3.2 Gen2 controllers/4 ports: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...usb3_pro_4p10_e_allegro_pro_usb.html/overview

Quad 3.1 Gen2 controllers/4 ports: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1386012-REG/highpoint_rocketu_1344a_4x_10gb_s.html/overview

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 350 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 243 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years