USB compatibility 3.1

RCHeliguy

Premium
I was curious if people with newer computers have had any issues with Fanatec and Heusinkveld equipment running on USB 3.1 ports.

I noticed that my CS 2.5 wheelbase seems to work best on a USB 2.0 port and when I put it on a USB 3.0 port I can't pull up the configuration manager for it.

Have any of you run into similar issues?

Some devices have problems on USB 3.0. I can't run my Leo Bodnar DD off USB 3.0 for instance. It's possible a different motherboard with the same equipment wouldn't have that problem.

• Deleted member 197115

Never had any issues with 3.0 or 3.1 ports on two ASUS ROG motherboards.

Pretty sure it was related to some early faulty USB controllers.

My Lenovo Explorer WMR headset does not like USB 3.1.
If I so much as 'look' at a USB 3.1 port, it states not recognized.
I absolutely have to use USB 3.0...despite the 3.1 being labeled as 'VR Ready'.
I've gone as far as to label the cables, simply as a reminder to never plug them there.
The original Fanatec Clubsport pedals (v1.0) don't seem to care for them either.
Over time, the throttle pedal will develop the dreaded downward drift, similar to what is reported as a bad sensor.
The only thing required is to unplug and reconnect the pedals.

Last edited:
It does seem like some devices and some motherboards don't play nice. I recently realized that I actually have just enough ports that I won't need a USB hub which is great.

However, I've also read that some MB's are overwhelmed when you have a bunch of active USB ports and I would have every single port with an active device plugged in.

This does make me wonder if there is any CPU advantage to unplugging the 3rd Rift Sensor in back that I use for room scale. I wonder if having one less sensor takes a bit of the load off the CPU. It might be interesting to check.

If found the following link interesting. It states that if you have 3 Rift sensors, make sure they are all connected to USB 3.0 ports. If one is on a USB 2.0 port it will utilize compression and eat up additional CPU resources. On his system he said the CPU usage dropped from 20%-30% down to 12%

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/ap20vp/ovr_service_and_usb_performance/

However he also mentioned a huge difference in how the CPU handles USB devices much better on Generation 6 and newer with DMI 3 vs. DMI 2.

Just read another post that suggests each sensor took only about 2% CPU, interesting. I'm guessing this has a lot to do with firmware, mother boards and implementations.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

I've seen some reports from Rift users experiencing better FFB on OSW when switching to WMR with inside out tracking. Suspect was it was due to relief on USB controller as WMR is using only one port.

@Terry Rock, most likely the issue with AsMedia driver. You need to remove that, reboot and let MS install its own.
https://forums.hololens.com/discussion/9650/mixed-reality-will-not-recognize-my-usb-3-0-or-3-1-ports

There is step by step instruction, search for "7-12" or "2181038087-12"
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...t-guide/troubleshooting-windows-mixed-reality

Some likely older USB 2.0 devices do not like to share controller with other devices.
If you got issues try this program.
https://softfamous.com/usbview/
it is USBview from MS but from MS it is part of a larger package.
Got a golf simulator with 2 high speed Usb 2.0 cameras. They have no issue with Usb 3.0 or 3.1 ports but do not like to share the controller with other devices even on a USB 3.1 controller!

@Terry Rock, most likely the issue with AsMedia driver. You need to remove that, reboot and let MS install its own.
https://forums.hololens.com/discussion/9650/mixed-reality-will-not-recognize-my-usb-3-0-or-3-1-ports
Would agree with that on old MB I had nothing but trouble with Asmedia drivers until I let MS install usb 3.0 drivers

I wonder how that will work with the USB-C port on the RTX cards. My understanding was that the graphics card operated in it's own dedicated area for I/O. I wonder how that will work with positional information and whether it will pull other processing away from the graphics card.

Keep in mind that a Vive only has one USB port for the headset and the base units are passive emitters, so I imagine there are differences in USB bandwidth there too.

This is likely related to the quality of the USB3 ports or (more likely) problems with the drivers.

Those of my computers that do serious USB (including my gaming machine) all have a dedicated USB PCIe card, with a known-good chipset that has known-good drivers. I can post the link to the one I'm currently buying if there is interest.

"Good" USB Hubs regulate power to each port separately
Motherboards run 4.5v to 5.5v all day
Even if expensive motherboard had good regulation a good hub is way cheaper

Better option then those old ugly USB boards recommended for VR
BTW they don't regulate power either

P.S. We all heard about someone blowing USB ports on motherboards
With cheap hub the same is possible
With good hub impossible :)

Last edited:
This is likely related to the quality of the USB3 ports or (more likely) problems with the drivers.

Those of my computers that do serious USB (including my gaming machine) all have a dedicated USB PCIe card, with a known-good chipset that has known-good drivers. I can post the link to the one I'm currently buying if there is interest.
I'm interested :)

I just came across this and it seems a bit relevant to this discussion.
stupidUSBNames.jpg

So if I've got this right, some physical devices will use up a number of USB ports. A single Rift Camera uses 7 ports.
There is a maximum of 127 USB ports on a USB bus.
There are typically two USB buses on a motherboard, one routed to the front or side panel and one routed to the back of the motherboard.
It shouldn't matter if a device is registered on a high quality USB Hub or a direct port as long as your hub is connected to a USB 3.0 port with 5Gb/s throughput.
A Hub running USB 3.0 will introduce a latency in the 100's of nano seconds.
Sound right?

Last edited:
So if I've got this right, some physical devices will use up a number of USB ports. A single Rift Camera uses 7 ports.
There is a maximum of 127 USB ports on a USB bus.
There are typically two USB buses on a motherboard, one routed to the front or side panel and one routed to the back of the motherboard.
It shouldn't matter if a device is registered on a high quality USB Hub or a direct port as long as your hub is connected to a USB 3.0 port with 5Gb/s throughput.
A Hub running USB 3.0 will introduce a latency in the 100's of nano seconds.
Sound right?

No, almost none of that is really true. Where mainboards route USB buses if they have several, is a matter they can decide freely. You have to look at the manual.

There is plenty of USB3.0 garbage out there that ends up getting you down to 2.0.

No, almost none of that is really true. Where mainboards route USB buses if they have several, is a matter they can decide freely. You have to look at the manual.

There is plenty of USB3.0 garbage out there that ends up getting you down to 2.0.

Any chance you can correct each item you see as incorrect with correct information?

I recently read that someone had very good luck with this 7 plug USB 3.0 hub, so I ordered one in the name of consolidation of cables and quick setup for my mobile rig. So far I've noticed no change in performance after plugging everything from my rig into this hub rather than directly into my computer. It uses one 3.0 port on the front of my computer. I will shortly have pedals, hand brake, and sequential shifter drawing USB power along with my button box and since this hub has an external power supply this shouldn't be an issue.
The 3' USB connection cable is a great length for connecting my rig and computer together.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072TW79NY

I recently read that someone had very good luck with this 7 plug USB 3.0 hub, so I ordered one in the name of consolidation of cables and quick setup for my mobile rig. So far I've noticed no change in performance after plugging everything from my rig into this hub rather than directly into my computer. It uses one 3.0 port on the front of my computer. I will shortly have pedals, hand brake, and sequential shifter drawing USB power along with my button box and since this hub has an external power supply this shouldn't be an issue.
The 3' USB connection cable is a great length for connecting my rig and computer together.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072TW79NY

I use the exact same hub and it's been very reliable for me too. I also ordered a 2 meter male to male cable from the same company as my rig is a little too far away from the PC to use the 1 meter cable that's supplied with the hub. Nice quality stuff that I'd buy again if needed.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 392 40.0%