RACE 07 Racing Club (Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hya all

As a start lets kick some WTCC cars after the pause period. :)

Time: 19.00 GMT / 20.00 CET
Practise: 30 min
Qualy: 30 min
Race: 2*10 laps
Weather: Dry

Track: Istanbul
Cars: WTCC 06 and 07

Server name: RSC # RPMnet.org
Password: spa

Server 1 - RSC @ RPMnet.org #1
  1. Attila Domján - Chevy
  2. Gareth Hickling - Peugeot
  3. Pauliebhoy Harrigan - Seat Leon
  4. Gregory Degreef - BMW E90
  5. Mehmet Arikan - Seat
  6. Jerome Benard - Alfa Romeo
  7. Cristian Haba - BMW E90
  8. Christian Deparis - Seat 07
  9. Jens Hoeppner - BMW E90
  10. Patrick van Driel -Seat Leon
  11. James Yates - BMW E46
  12. Jari Vinnari - BMW E90
  13. Marcel Hulsbergen - Alfa 156
  14. Peter Böszörményi - Seat Leon
  15. Kent Karlén - Chevy 07
  16. darron miller - Peugeot
  17. Michael Herrmann - Alfa 156
  18. Nico Major - BMW E90
  19. Rami Kaukola - BMW E90
  20. Christopher Aponte - Seat LEon
  21. Simon Trendell - Peugeot
  22. big daddy Morpheus Lightning McQueen - car tbd
  23. Baron-Rouge[NO-B] - Seat Leon
  24. ingemar petersson Seat Leon
  25. Nevermind - Seat Leon
Server 2 - RSC @ RPMnet.org #2
  1. Driver
  2. Driver
  3. Driver
  4. Driver
  5. Driver
  6. Driver
  7. Driver
  8. Driver
  9. Driver
  10. Driver
  11. Driver
  12. Driver
  13. Driver
  14. Driver
  15. Driver
  16. Driver
  17. Driver
  18. Driver
  19. Driver
  20. Driver
  21. Driver
  22. Driver
  23. Driver
  24. Driver
  25. Driver

As I like the Castelet circuit much, when I first saw the weather forecast for the race I was a bit disappointed; something of the likes: “Such a nice track wasted with water all over it”.

After a few practices sessions to select the car I noticed that a few of them were quite fun & demanding to drive in these conditions, on top of that the constantly fast changing track conditions were a very nice and welcome new challenge for a medium distance race.

So I went to the event with a good idea of what likely would come (I “fully” read the 2nd post and prepared accordingly by practicing a bit in the Tobias server in the 1st & 2nd practice sessions) and knowing this event would be a very good one and a fine different challenge.

The Porsche
I’ve to admit it, I liked them a lot in GTR2 (many Km in them), and I like them in the mod…
I like the predictability of its “rebel” behavior. RWD, big engine in the back, the rear gives away first, when it does, it takes some fun to keep it under control if not it will bite the light front, spin and send that engine into a wall. A very refreshing behavior when compared with most heavy understeer cars that populate Evo.

With the Porsche (or any other car) it was all a question of balance as the rain implied soft suspension settings (early grip). What was different in it was that softer (and higher) suspension settings implied dangerously hitting the tarmac with the rear (heavy engine in the rear, different from most cars) in the fast S implying a possible high speed spin even with max wing. So in this event I could do the fast S in certain wet conditions flat out, but not most of the times...

I would gladly take the full version (non modified mod) race it among the GTP. I would have no chance of top spots, but I assure you I wouldn’t do a bad show either :wink:

The Event

Qualifying
- Like many of you, didn’t do any prepared qualifying setup, just removed the fuel, wing, lowered it a bit and went for a quick lap immediately after Tobias (if the administrator exits early for its quick lap, you better do the same :rolleyes:). Did a 58 wish is ok when compared with 00 the race pace was capable of in the ideal wet situations.

Race - I knew in race I couldn’t reach above 8000 rpm if I wanted to finish the race with a healthy engine, so the 8350 rpm of the lowest rpm limiter setting were only to be reached in sporadic situations. The meaning of the above is that I knew the quicker C6 would have a race pace about .5 of a second quicker per lap if they “wanted” and importantly would be faster in the big straight. So it wasn’t to my surprise that after a typical “heavy“ (fuel) Porsche error (overshot the S entry) in the 2nd S (slow ones) I found myself in a "sea" of C6, 2 or 3 in front and 2 or 3 in the back… I guess me and Tobias really gave a lot of publicity to the car faculties regarding endurance racing in the forum in the last months. But that is thinking too much of it, I guess people just experienced with it and found out by themselves that the C6 & C6R are very honest machines and excel in long distance races.
Followed Andreas (1st) &Tobias (2nd) early on, always keeping an eye on my early "shadow" :cool: (Stefan) and in the fast arriving Xavier.
After Tobias troubles, near the end of the 1st stint the track was too dry for my setup, so was just happy by following at some distance the fight for first between Andreas & Xavier (both C6) and was “secure” from behind as my “shadow” had some trouble exiting a turn (as he already explained in his post).
Andreas was really in difficulty, spinning those wet tyres too much (I bet above 120º) so the rear was all-over the place and with it he was slowing Xavier wish made me catch them. We both overtook him at same time and after that my race was kind "tied" with his until the finish.
The first stop came (2 stop race), with it my biggest and funniest "mistake" of the race. On the first stop I had one of those, let’s call it… “Nature call”, I guess I drunk too much water before the event :eek: So I really had to go… when I got back not surprisingly the Porsche was waiting calm and soundless. The result is that my under 5 seconds difference to Xavier jumped to about 15 seconds after his pit-stop. This distance would sometimes diminish a little or grow a little, but essentially would go until race finish. I knew if I pushed the Porsche to the limiter I would have a pace similar to Xavier, but not only that would be more risky but also similar isn’t sufficient for bridging a 10 to 20 secs deficit down.
So the 2nd stint in the end was all about securing 2nd (with the other s problems, it was more than a minute away) and keep Xavier in a distance of being able to profit of a "possible" mistake from him.
Did a quick final stop, did a few quick laps to test Xavier’s pace for the 3rd and final stint, he lost 2 or 3 seconds, not more, “gave in” and circulated in pace (so I don’t lose concentration) but not risking it until the end.
Came 2nd with the proud achievement of only “losing” the rear of the Porsche once when exiting the pits in the first fast S (X in the track, 90º), even that only meant a 2 second and no "proud" lost as no one was around to see me “looking” for the rear :redface:

Congratulations to Xavier (WellC to the club btw), he did a quick & “brain” race and was a more than a fair winner (starting to the back of the grid also). Congratulations to everyone who finished the event as alone this as always (in this conditions more) was an achievement in itself.
For those who DNF due to that bad luck, misfortunes, at least you had the courage to attempt this very interesting event (my first in this aspect, requiring fast adaptation to W, H, W, AP, W, H, W, AP, W situations), in all a very demanding & refreshing situation, cheers.
Regarding my race, had no troubles giving laps or whatever, everyone did and excellent job balancing speed (self interest) and overall simulation security, thanks:smile:
A final word to Thomas & his Sun Red as it’s a car I practice a little for this event. I was unsure about taking the Porsche or the SRed, as both love to spin and were fun to do turn after the big straight in the rain in slight power slide. The SRed was really a handful, in this conditions, but I guess, all others were a bit too.:wink:

Obviously, Tobias, as usual, impressive "work" organizing this one, thanks :smile:

Regarding a few questions/observations made previously in this topic.

How to see the amount of water on track (in race line & off line)!?

• The most “complete” & easy way is with MotecAdd – On top of a lot of useful weather information, it gives you even the % of water in race line and off line. This tool can be found in the mod forum of the race series and has (or had) a small "symbolic" activation fee (I don’t use it nor have I tested in a long time so I don’t know for sure how it is now).
  • The “old” XD tool from rF and GTR2 (fully compatible with Race ON) – Fully free tool that has all the important weather data together with a code of letters that displays the amount of water in the race line (D; H; W; AP). For instances, from dry (D) to “Aqua planning” (AP) the letters are easy to guess what they mean and like the above tool, it also has many useful other information.

In games ways without the mod tools

• Visual effects – For those of you (like me for instances) who play with maximum details and visual effects the track environment changes specifically for each situation. In AP situations the track looks like mirror all over its wide. In W conditions the amount of water (in & off line) can be judge by the size of the spray the car (or cars) lift of the asphalt. In H situations the car will have no or little spray on line and a small spray off- line.
  • The in car original SimBin Hud (the LCD one) – After pressing enter for 2 or 3 times, there is a display with the tyre temperatures. Knowing that either “rain” or “dry” tyres have the same usual working temperature (ie they both should work around the 90’s Cº), one can judge the amout of water on track by how the wet tyres gain temperature. If the tryres are very cold (60º, 70º), AP or (very) W conditions. If the tyres are around 80º/90º, W conditions (implying you prepared a correct W setup in practice). Now the important bit; if the wet tyres gain temperature going straight, the line you are taking is too dry for them (need to cooler them off line if possible). This situation happens when the rain has stoped, the track is a little W (yet) and is going to H situation where there will be a dry race line and a wet off line situation. Finely, for the H situation, the best tyre is the “dry” one (as a matter of fact, the “dry” tyre of Simbin “works” until 40-50% wet).
  • The FFB response - For those of you that like me who play with high effects & strength, the all dynamic of the wheel (g25 my case) changes and responds in a different manner accordingly with the amount of grip we obtain from the track.
  • The car response – Obviously this is generic; each car has its own dynamic, on top of it, it is setup in certain way you know (assuming you practiced & did your setup) and it is expected to give “warnings” before all goes “wrong”. For instances, many times a “hard” setup is quick for a couple of laps and useful for that qualifying session but will “snap” very quickly in a changing grip situation without much "warning".

A final thing… as more than repeated hundred times:redface: Don’t use Auto-pit stop in any form in an add-on track. Don’t use it ever even… I think there is (or at least there was) a good FAQ in the forum regarding this and other matters (how to pit-stop in Race).

My biggest scare was when Ross was coming up behind me going into the chicane and I caught the kerb on the inside and tapped the barrier on the left and thought my race was going to be over but I managed to catch it with a side impact so escaped with no damage.

I almost forgot about that! That was probably my biggest scare too, fortunately i eased off well in advance., good job as well as i already had 2 warnings for corner-cutting and didn't fancy doing a high-speed swerve across the chicane. I also had terrible lag for about 30seconds halfway through the race, so i was all over the place. Fortunately no-one else was nearby.

[*] The “old” XD tool from rF and GTR2 (fully compatible with Race ON) – Fully free tool that has all the important weather data together with a code of letters that displays the amount of water in the race line (D; H; W; AP). For instances, from dry (D) to “Aqua planning” (AP) the letters are easy to guess what they mean and like the above tool, it also has many useful other information.
[/LIST]

Where can i get this "old" one ? Is it still compatible with the actually steam version ?

My race report.

Qualification was OK, medium lap but 3rd spot in the grid. :)

With the race start, I was very happy to have a similar pace like Joao and Andreas, without driving at the limit in these hard weather conditions.
Luckily for me Joao made a small mistake in 5th lap, so I went by without taking to much risk. After that I was able to close the gap to Andreas very fast and sitting behind him for a couple of laps. Wasn't trying to hard to overtake him, because I felt after a few attempts, that a overtake was very difficult when you are at nearly the same pace and the overtaking spots are rare and you find it very slippery when driving beside the ideal racing line.
On lap 12th I saw a chance to overtake Andreas at the end of the long back straight, because he had not the optimal acceleration at the turn exit.
Unfortunately we were in the process of lapping Caramidaru Andrei Bogdan at the end of the straight and he was braking hard on the inside to let us through. I wasn't aware of that situation, because I didn't see any of that in the water trail of Andreas, as I followed him in his slipstream. As soon I step out to the left to start the overtaking attempt and had a free line of sight, my pants changed their color.
I wasn't able to reduce my speed that much, to circumvent the impact - a big sorry for that Caramidaru Andrei Bogdan. :frown:
With a heavy engine and suspension damage, I limped back to the pits to repair the damage, after this stupid error I got only 29% engine health left and a slightly trickier car than before. Nearly 1:30min down on Andreas, my plan was nurse the engine and see what pace the others doing.
The weather starts to clear and it was fun to drive and a good time to get the frustration out - making every round steadily ground to cars in front of me. Got 7 positions to 5th until my 2nd pitstop. :)
After the pitstop the weather was getting worse, lots of puddles around the racing line and growing. :eek: Got Ross and Stefan in sight after a few laps and got the 3rd position very easy in the first place because both had trouble with the grip.
Great this was easy, I thought and was badly wrong. It was easy to make ground to Ross and Stefan, mainly because I followed them and they were cleaning the offstanding water from the track.
In the following laps, I had great battles with Ross and Stefan, had really to fight car when I was in front with a big gap to the front runners, so Ross was able to close the gap very fast when I hit a puddle and drove the car off the track several times. We exchanged the positions a lot and due to my weak engine it was very demanding for me to keep up the lap times through slower parts of the track.
With the last, 3rd pitstop at lap 52, I was back in the 3rd position and the exhaustion kicked in very fast - made a silly attempt to follow a lapped car in the water trail, through the first chicane, without knowing his line and pace. Sorry Patrick, for the hit - luckily you could catch your car after the 360°. :wink:
After that incident and the damage the car was even more nervous, so I throw the car shortly after in the wall and close destroy the car completely. The engine health was around 2% after that, not enough to get the car over the last 23 laps. Deeply frustrated with my silly mistake and the knowledge of not finishing the race with that sick engine, leaved the race directly.

This was the hardest race in a meaning of physical effort (I was never sweating this much at these low temperatures) and the level of concentration in these conditions.

Congrats to all race finisher and especially the podium. Great drive guys. :thumbup::thumbup:

I hope we see each other in the next endurance race.

As in the past here is a small race statistic created with Autosim Analyzer. Open the "index.html" file in link to view the pages in your browser.
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=2342

It really was the hardest race i ever participeated and also a very physical one! But i can't say that i didn't liked it...it was great,awsome,this race really tested my nervous sistem and patienty(also driving skils) !:thumbup:
Qualification: I enterd the server in last 2 minutes of quali session and haven't time to make one lap at least so started from P16.:frown:

Race:After i enterd the race grid,i realised that i have gas for only 2 laps as i seted up for the quali.I overtooked 2 guys in first lap but i pitted right after for refueling.I exit the pits with a gap between me and P15 of allmost 30 seconds.After 4-5 laps i catched the guys from P15 and overtooked him(he was my partner from Romania,was having trouble driving on very wet).
-After that,it started to rain like HELL and the grip was rapidly decreasing.I made my first pitstop when i was on P9.After that i pushed to catch others but in the same time i was very gentile with the steering and acceleration.I have to say that FERRARI didn't dissapointed me as i was expecting but i was hard to keep the car on the road after a low speed corner because of the huge power under that hood.
-I didn't spin only 3-4 times during the race and did not hit anything.I don't know why but i was going in a good pace with the track and with me.:smile:
-With allmost 13-14 laps before FINISH,i catched P4 from behind and overtaked him but right after that i was announced but the team that i had to do a STOP&GO for cutting.I admit that in last corner i cutted 3 times because my car was sliding sideway when i switch the acceleration pedal with the brake one.:biggrin: So,i pitted right after my overtake and on the road to my pit place i pressed ENTER to confirm my STOP&GO but the reaction was totally different as the computer CANCELED the STOP&GO and gived me the chance to change tyres and refuel wich i didn't need to.(after that i realised that i shouldn't press ENTER and i should just drive to the pits without pressing anything to do my STOP&GO as he was doing itself).So i was having to make another lap and pit again for my STOP&GO penalty.
-After penalty pitstop i was having a gap of 37sec to the P4 and just 10 laps untill finish.I tryed hardly to catch him but i couldn't.He finished 10 seconds before me and 5th place remains for me after 76 laps of stress and sweat! :smile:

Great racing experience for me and for all of you i think.Also was the HARDEST! Liked it alot but i hope it will not be any full wet enduro races in the future :biggrin:.

Thank you Tobias for organising this awesome race and RaceDepartment! :thumbup: Cya on next one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 315 27.7%