US Grand Prix boss favours artificial rain

A couple of points from me, When it is a sunny race, and sprinklers come on, drivers will have the sun in their eyes AND water going all over the place, Hot wather going alongside cool rain, it doesn't mix, their is a reason God didn't give us rain as boiling water, surely this will affect the tires, and make them behave differently, because after being thrust into the air at such a pressure to get above the cars, the sun on track will just start heating it up. I think, mother nature should be left to do her job, and should be left in peace to do it........

If you were a serious F1 fan you would still have enjoyed the Ferrari era winning the championship way before the end of season. Lets leave it as it is and enjoy it.

Given that the race will have to be early or late season (summer in southern Texas is not a good idea) there will be at least a fair chance of rain anyway (spring storm season or fall tropical storm leftovers).

Definitely agree on the light refraction, and also that the average humidity there is so low that a lot of water would have to be used to keep a dry line from developing almost instantly in the sun...

Don't think this one will pass the practicality test.

F1 is considered the pinnacle of motorsports because they put the best drivers in the most advanced cars, which requires silky smooth surfaces and big runoff areas. Rain pretty much spoils this combination. Of course an F1 race is a major event so they cancel it only for major rain, so they gut it out with their rain tires, but imho rain generally turns the race into a bit of a crapshoot. Sure, I'd agree that there are some drivers who are better than others in rain, but in general nobody likes varying grip levels, cars running with a dry setup on wet and drivers who watch the clouds more attentively than their opponents (remember 2010 Spa?) There's really no point in putting a speed wizard in a wonder car, a combo which can brake and turn and fire away at impressive G's, and then put it on a surface where this all goes to waste.

The upside of a crapshoot is that the leading car just spun out and the guy who's consistently been finishing in the top 8 is now heading for a podium finish. Austin, we got drama.

If Bernie ever watched some Nascar, he'd know that there's a much cheaper way to manufacture artificial drama. Just throw in some "debris" cautions later in the race, bunch the field up, and some will inevitably run into one another after the green flag while gunning for a position, which brings out another caution. In the end you've got a reasonably shuffled top 6.

If Bernie ever watched some Nascar, he'd know that there's a much cheaper way to manufacture artificial drama. Just throw in some "debris" cautions later in the race, bunch the field up, and some will inevitably run into one another after the green flag while gunning for a position, which brings out another caution. In the end you've got a reasonably shuffled top 6.

Bernie knows that already, and that's exactly where F1 is going.

Just have a look at the 2010 British and Hungarian GPs.

In my opinion, I think it will cause even more arguments about the organisers fixing races/ assisting some teams to win all the time, Alonso for sure will make out he is being screwed over every time the fake rain comes and mclaren overtake him.

It a stupid idea, and needs washing away.

Bernie loves coming from the outfield with this stuff, always trying to spice the racing up somehow. I wonder what ideas his daughters are gonna come up with when they run the business( if they do).

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back