URD T5 2018 - audio popping

Dirk Steffen

Porsche Factory Jackass™
Premium
I just bought the URD T5 2018 (DTM 2018) mod and installed it.
So far I only tested the BMW M4 DTM 2018.

I found that for the first time since I can remember I have distinct audio popping issues - my own engine audio has popping sounds like when there is a bad audio sample.

I have not experienced this issue with any other car with this installation so far.

I remember having seen a thread regarding this topic here on RD but don't seem to be able to find it any longer.

Is there any advice regarding this issue? Is it a known issue with this mod and being worked on? Are there any recommended settings one should check regarding this issue? What is the cause of this issue?

This is just quickly to confirm what I hear in @CreamyCornCob video compared to the sounds I hear in my setup.
In the video I DO NOT hear any of the crackling / popping issues I hear with my setup.
In the video there is a beautiful "exhaust crackling" sounds when off throttle which sounds really nice - that IS NOT what I refer to as the popping / crackling sounds I experience though.

The issue I refer to sounds like the sound of two mismatching sample loops, shortly cutting out (we are talking millisecond occurences here). I will attempt to make a recording of the issue.

Also I have done the steps regarding sound optimization in Windows and Assetto Corsa as recommended. have rebooted after each change ... and the issue can still be heard (I only tested with the BMW so far but will have to do a good listen to all three cars and attempt to record.

I tested all three cars extensively with full fields, alone on track and found that the sound issue is most apparent and easiest to reproduce in the Audi.
Here is a recording of the Audi accelerating from a standstill to top speed on the 2000m Kunos dragstrip.
The sound is from the cockpit camera.

It is most apparent when listening to the second half of the recording while the car is in 6th gear.
These sounds are actually more obvious during an actual race - in this recording these audio issues appear more subtle and appear less distracting as if one is actually racing, battling on the track.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fexr8zb97abareu/URD T5 2018 Audi.mp3?dl=0

Last edited:
Eliminate full fields, its easier in process of elimination of trouble shooting. And cockpit or replay, the crackling will be the same. Just go to practice, single car, short pit out track (less time wasted) and enter and exit the first turn on throttle.
Then watch and listen to the short replay (you'll hear it). Its a time saver.

Before my fix, each Audi, Merc,Bmw had the crackling one more or less then others. Once completely fixed, all three will be fixed. So it doesn't matter one of the three when testing. Been there, done that.

We'll get there soon :D And the reason this was important to me overall - The DTM from URD was #1, over RSS, VRC mods of any car, from anyone, the car is accurate and a pure joy to drive.

And as a former driver in Formula Toyota Atlantics, 250 Superkarts, a few NASCAR cars etc, this car is king.

Cheers

I tested all three cars extensively with full fields, alone on track and found that the sound issue is most apparent and easiest to reproduce in the Audi.
Here is a recording of the Audi accelerating from a standstill to top speed on the 2000m Kunos dragstrip.
The sound is from the cockpit camera.

It is most apparent when listening to the second half of the recording while the car is in 6th gear.
These sounds are actually more obvious during an actual race - in this recording these audio issues appear more subtle and appear less distracting as if one is actually racing, battling on the track.

[arrrgh turns out I cannot share a less than 1MB sound file !@#$%]
If I were you (and I'm imagining you've spent A LOT of time on this), I'd cut my losses and just replace the sounds using Content Manager, replace with sounds from another similar-type car. That could be a very quick solution.
Have you got the DTM 2013 mod from URD? If so, perhaps you could use those sounds.

So there it is guys - the way these patterns look and sound points to an issue with the car audio files. The popping sound sound is just a looping issue which I hope can be fixed in the mod (look and listen at the center spike of each loop - the marked spikes are very easy to hear).

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 19.10.42 .jpg

The recording quality is very much compressed (I used the standard out of the box Audacity mp3 export plugin settings without any tweaks). The pattern and characteristics of the popping sound though are audible.

I think what happens during a race may also be that with many AI around those sounds multiply and are audible in a much more irregular fashion. I think it is best to setup the test the same way I did - single car on the 2000m Kunos drag strip, accelerating from standstill to the end of the track).

@alless if you need any further input, files or tests you would like me to perform, please let me know. I am more than happy to assist if it can help to fix the issue.

@Billy Pilgrim I understand your point but I would be much more happy if a little bit of effort can help to fix the issue for everyone rather than using a patch job workaround ;-)

These 2018 DTM cars are good fun and apart from a couple of small early bugs:

- mirror resolution and upside down image in Mercedes,
- missing wiper animation in all cars,
- rear light textures of the Mercedes,
- missing daylight light effects (a workaround for that could be to enforce all AI to run with headlights on at all times),
- slight stuttering issues when DRS is deployed for the first time in a session

… it is a really high quality mod with fantastic online racing potential I am very happy to have purchased.

So there it is guys - the way these patterns look and sound points to an issue with the car audio files. The popping sound sound is just a looping issue which I hope can be fixed in the mod (look and listen at the center spike of each loop - the marked spikes are very easy to hear).

View attachment 284236

The recording quality is very much compressed (I used the standard out of the box Audacity mp3 export plugin settings without any tweaks). The pattern and characteristics of the popping sound though are audible.

I think what happens during a race may also be that with many AI around those sounds multiply and are audible in a much more irregular fashion. I think it is best to setup the test the same way I did - single car on the 2000m Kunos drag strip, accelerating from standstill to the end of the track).

@alless if you need any further input, files or tests you would like me to perform, please let me know. I am more than happy to assist if it can help to fix the issue.

@Billy Pilgrim I understand your point but I would be much more happy if a little bit of effort can help to fix the issue for everyone rather than using a patch job workaround ;-)

These 2018 DTM cars are good fun and apart from a couple of small early bugs:

- mirror resolution and upside down image in Mercedes,
- missing wiper animation in all cars,
- rear light textures of the Mercedes,
- missing daylight light effects (a workaround for that could be to enforce all AI to run with headlights on at all times),
- slight stuttering issues when DRS is deployed for the first time in a session

… it is a really high quality mod with fantastic online racing potential I am very happy to have purchased.
Wow, what an analysis!
Great :)

@alless
I really really like this mod. I find the physics a big improvement on the 2013 one (and i rather enjoyed that one too). Thank you for your work on it.

But there's one thing that I find strange: the cars look quite matte, not as glossy/shiny as other cars in AC. I wonder if others have noticed this. That said, I have deleted all the original skins and am using the skin packs available here on RD (by Dead End, I think)

thx, forwarding this to our sound guy.

For the things you mentioned, i will do some work on the car as im planning to do some shader settings and textures updates to.
That is really nice to hear ;-)
It would be amazing if this mod would see the few fixes and maybe future updates it deserves to make it outstanding!

There are two features I would really, really love to see with this mod as it makes a big impact on actual DTM racing:

rain:
- a new rain tire
- working wiper animation (it is already implemented and fully functional with the current dynamic lights shader build with full button mapping and rain textures)

brake bias:
- the DTM cars have nicely modeled brake bias adjuster flags and meters in the cockpit - please implement a gauge linked to the set brake bias and also link the rotation of the brake bias flag to the gauge (you could make it a gauge needle practically)
This would immensely impact the quality of the mod and I am sure VR users would be ecstatic ;-)
Just by the blink of an eye you could see what brake bias you are set and when you change brake bias with a steering wheel button the actual modeled gauge and flag will rotate properly!

This would be top notch stuff!

Wow, what an analysis!
Great :)

@alless

But there's one thing that I find strange: the cars look quite matte, not as glossy/shiny as other cars in AC. I wonder if others have noticed this. That said, I have deleted all the original skins and am using the skin packs available here on RD (by Dead End, I think)

I recommend anyone who is using mods and ESPECIALLY content creators such as @alless to at the very least run Content Manager in DEVELOPER MODE (to enable, go to the about page and click several times on the current version number, then enable DEV MODE when asked).
Then use the ANALYZE feature of content manager (with extended functions in DEV MODE) and see if any usual problems show up in a mod car.

The reported lower reflectivity on the DTM 2018 car skins is an issue with some material settings that Kunos at some point had updated.
Content Manager can fix this actually but will alter the files which can cause online mismatch - hence it should be something fixed at the source ;-)

If you just use the mod offline you can use CM to fix this without ill effects should you be impatient ;-)

lower reflectivity on the DTM 2018 car skins is an issue with some material settings that Kunos at some point had updated.
Content Manager can fix this actually but will alter the files which can cause online mismatch - hence it should be something fixed at the source ;-)
Thanks a lot for this tip. :) I'll use it (as online doesn't bother me at the moment anyway).

@alless
I'm noticing that the DTM cars are having big problems on hairpins. They're finding the hairpin on Hockenheimring very hard and crashing badly etc. Pity to not be able to race at Hockenheimring (especially with these DTM cars). I've tested with other cars which manage the hairpin fine.
Is the steering lock needing a look at?
Norisring seems to be impossible for them too (but the AI line may need work for that track too)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back