URD T5 2018 - audio popping

Dirk Steffen

Porsche Factory Jackass™
Premium
I just bought the URD T5 2018 (DTM 2018) mod and installed it.
So far I only tested the BMW M4 DTM 2018.

I found that for the first time since I can remember I have distinct audio popping issues - my own engine audio has popping sounds like when there is a bad audio sample.

I have not experienced this issue with any other car with this installation so far.

I remember having seen a thread regarding this topic here on RD but don't seem to be able to find it any longer.

Is there any advice regarding this issue? Is it a known issue with this mod and being worked on? Are there any recommended settings one should check regarding this issue? What is the cause of this issue?

I just tested the Mercedes - no audio popping in this car and the Mercedes sounds indeed delicious in every way ;-)

There is another issue though in the Mercedes - the rear view mirror has 3 problems:
1) it is mirrored upside down
2) it is of extremely low resolution, too low in fact to see anything
3) it behaves abnormal compared to cars where it is intact in the BLM car app from @Blamer as it is not recognized as mirror number 2 (as in other cars with a total of three mirrors) but it registers as a second right wing mirror

EDIT:
Just tested the Audi - this car also has the Audio popping issue :-(

Last edited:
I've had audio problems with various modded cars' sounds recently (Fonsecker and Audioloids especially). After a lot of mucking about and swapping out cars' sounds for others (which was a non-optimal solution), I think I found the solution with this:
https://www.howtogeek.com/285429/how-to-fix-crackling-or-popping-sound-on-a-windows-pc/
That fixed it for me. I changed audio quality and Exclusive mode. I'm not sure which of those did it for me. But my sound are good now.
I hope it helps.

Thanks, I will look into the link!
What is strange is that I do not experience this issue with other cars and in my quick testing (just 5-10 laps with each car around Paul Ricard WTCC and Nurburgring GP) I found:
BMW - bad audio popping
Audi - a little audio popping
Mercedes - no audio popping at all

very strange indeed

Thanks, I will look into the link!
What is strange is that I do not experience this issue with other cars and in my quick testing (just 5-10 laps with each car around Paul Ricard WTCC and Nurburgring GP) I found:
BMW - bad audio popping
Audi - a little audio popping
Mercedes - no audio popping at all

very strange indeed
Yes, for me too, it wasn't that consistent. And I think it had something to do with there being other cars around too.

I could not get rid of the popping sound :-(
I also found that the Mercedes has audio popping sounds as well - these for some reason do happen less frequent / are less obvious as with the BMW and Audi.

I will look into this some more.

i guess you've got max channels = 512
I tried but that also made no difference :-(
What I find so strange really is that with no other car I am regularly driving I have this issue - it is just this URD T5 2018 mod.

I found another thread about sound crackling / popping issues from 2017 I was involved in (back then with an entirely different computer). With this computer, built in 2018 I do not recollect ever having those issues and certainly never recognized these issues within the last couple of months with driving an extensive range of Kunos and mod cars.

Nothing of my setup has changed hardware wise since the build of this computer and I checked that no driver / software updates have been performed (whcih also would hardly explain that the sound issues are only with teh URD T5 2018 mod).

I am going to test next if I have these same sound issues with the URD Ford GT LM GTE mod to narrow the issue further down.

Dirk try here. Started the thread because even videos with the 2018 Merc/Audi where crackling...
Theres a how to geek link I found in it.

https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/urd-is-to-blame-100-crackling-audio.162802/
Thanks for sharing! It is the same link Billy shared earlier - unfortunately the tweaks mentioned in the How to geek link did not remove the audio crackling / popping sounds I hear in the URD T5 2018 cars :-(

Again, what is so strange is that those are really the only cars I can hear these issues with which makes it so perplexing.
Could someone who is knowledgable how the Assetto Corsa Audio engine works comment if this is even possible? Perhaps @alless or @Fonsecker or @ACFAN could comment if what I am experiencing is even technically possible or if the URD T5 2018 mod uses such highly detailed audio files that those are the only ones triggering an issue that hides on my system which is otherwise not showing?

I am really stumped.

Maybe more detail will help:

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

Maybe @RasmusP has an idea - you have helped me onto the right path so many times with the most obscure PC related questions I could ever come up with ;-)

Here is another question regarding the "MAX_CHANNELS=512" audio tweak - I tried to set this in:
...\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\system\cfg\audio_engine.ini

It did not fix the problem I am hearing with the URD T5 2018 cars.
On the web there are several other audio related ini files mentioned, non of which had the "MAX_CHANNELS=512" entry on my system.

Could someone point me to an explanation of these files? Am I tweaking the correct audio related file?

Thanks for sharing! It is the same link Billy shared earlier - unfortunately the tweaks mentioned in the How to geek link did not remove the audio crackling / popping sounds I hear in the URD T5 2018 cars :-(

I know, Billy basically used what I wrote earlier... :D :D
If you didn't restart your pc after the change, you wouldn't hear a difference.

Posted this issue twice I think here - the exact same thing as your having. 512 channels, 2 different audio cables, new RealTek HD audio and drivers install, all audio settings flat, reduced master volume to 4, engine volume 4, all audio enhacements off -on and on and on. Its the only mod doing this. BUT its not to blame.

Watch the vid in the thread I posted, even the damn replay does it. BUT my fix was "disable exclusive mode" THEN rebooting. Jumped in the Merc, crackling gone in-car and replays. Curiously, I went back to the video that even crackled before the change - and wudda ya know, the crackling disappeared there too.

Again, what is so strange is that those are really the only cars I can hear these issues with which makes it so perplexing.
Could someone who is knowledgable how the Assetto Corsa Audio engine works comment if this is even possible? Perhaps @alless or @Fonsecker or @ACFAN could comment if what I am experiencing is even technically possible or if the URD T5 2018 mod uses such highly detailed audio files that those are the only ones triggering an issue that hides on my system which is otherwise not showing?

I am really stumped.

Maybe more detail will help:

View attachment 284078 View attachment 284079 View attachment 284080

Maybe @RasmusP has an idea - you have helped me onto the right path so many times with the most obscure PC related questions I could ever come up with ;-)

Here is another question regarding the "MAX_CHANNELS=512" audio tweak - I tried to set this in:
...\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\system\cfg\audio_engine.ini

It did not fix the problem I am hearing with the URD T5 2018 cars.
On the web there are several other audio related ini files mentioned, non of which had the "MAX_CHANNELS=512" entry on my system.

Could someone point me to an explanation of these files? Am I tweaking the correct audio related file?
No idea, sorry Dirk :(
But the post above me looks helpful! :)

im following this and will ask my sound guy to give it a look for sure.

Thank you very much ;-)

I will report back what I find out, following @CreamyCornCob and @Billy Pilgrim advice with PC restarts in-between.

Maybe your sound guy or anyone sees anything out of the ordinary with the computer spec I posted above?
I am not up to speed on the latest in PC tech and perhaps the combination I am running is problematic in terms of sound?

Back in the 90's when I was into PCs there was NOTHING over buying the most ridiculously expensive mega sound card when it came to gaming and it was considered an insult to run even Doom on a measly onboard sound card ;-) I assumed though those times are over?

Indeed these times are over! While recording quality (micro in, line in etc) is still shabby, the playback quality is good enough for basically everyone.
I have a dedicated recording interface soundcard and I don't hear any difference to my Realtek onboard from 2010 or direct hdmi playback over my gpu.
Recording quality though is night and day :)

im following this and will ask my sound guy to give it a look for sure.

Thank you very much. As I said above about the other video, what blows me away is, once I exhausted everything possible, then trying the last thing left - disable exclusive mode - it even fixed the video I posted.
So with the mod and video doing it, that told me that its not on the fault of URD, its effected on the OS side..

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 356 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 497 39.1%