Upgrading my PC

neesve

Neesve
Hi there,

I want to upgrade my PC because i can only play older racing sims like Assetto Corsa properly, but i want to play ACC. With the current setup i can play ACC only in single mode on low settings.

The current specs of the PC are:
Prosessor: intel core i5 4570
Graphicscard: Asus R9270 2GD5
RAM: 16GB
Power supply: Cooler Master B600
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper B5
CPU Cooling: Zalman cnps5x performa

I want to upgrade my pc with:
Proseccor: Intel Core i5-9400F
Graphicscard: MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC

So i have 2 questions, are there any good in the first place and are these compatible with the current setup i have?

Thanks in advanced!

Another idea could be to keep what you have as CPU/MoBo/RAM aren't bad at all and just exchange the graphics card. This would do the huge difference.
Optionally get a i7 which is supported by your current MoBo (e.g. i7-4790). You can get them used for little money. Your board however does not support overclocking (the i7-xxxxK variants). Nonetheless you can put it in and it will work very well (just can't overclock).

Upvote 0
Another idea could be to keep what you have as CPU/MoBo/RAM aren't bad at all and just exchange the graphics card. This would do the huge difference.
Optionally get a i7 which is supported by your current MoBo (e.g. i7-4790). You can get them used for little money. Your board however does not support overclocking (the i7-xxxxK variants). Nonetheless you can put it in and it will work very well (just can't overclock).
That’s a good option man, thanks! And do you think the graphics card i want works with my current setup?

Upvote 0
Yes, it does. It just needs a PCI 3.0 connection (where your current GPU is sitting) and a 8-pin PSU connection (your PSU should have 2 of them). PSU wattage will also be plenty.

I guess that a switch to the i7 is more cost effective than switching CPU/Board/RAM:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php
says that the 9400F is 90% faster than your current CPU and 10% faster than a 4790(K).The 9400F has 6 cores but no hyperthreading, the 4790 has only 4 but hyperthreading. From all that data I would ASSUME, those 2 CPUs are not a BIG difference.
[but please also note that gaming puts a different stress on CPUs than the CPU benchmark - the numbers however should give a rough but good indication]

ad GPUs: see https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-580-vs-AMD-R9-270/3923vs3149
Looks like the difference in FPS should be around 50% which I have to admit is not the "huge difference" I mentioned in the previous post:-(

The real benefit now depends on the exact application (ACC). I don't have this title so I can't comment on that. To make things complicated, I found this one:
https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-perfor...o-corsa-competizione-pc-performance-analysis/
saying that the game is more GPU-demanding than CPU (at least regarding the number of CPU threads). It also says without trying to proof the statement, that it needs very high-end RAM modules.
Maybe someone playing this title can comment on this specific statement?

Upvote 0
That's helpful man! When i'm playing AC in a room with alot of cars (let's say 36) it gives a warning that the cpu compasity is at 99%. I don't know if AC uses the CPU the same way ACC does, but i think the first step is to upgrade to the i7 you suggested. If ACC is still nog playable on "high" settings, than i can aways upgrade to a better graphics card. The PC is pretty old, so for higher-end RAM modules i need a new motherboard i think?

I now have a Crucial 16 gb DDR3 1600 kit as RAM setup

Thanks for your hulp so far man!

Upvote 0
Much depends on what display resolution/refresh rate you're outputting to (1080p at 60hz needs a lot less graphical horsepower than 4k at 144hz for example) but I suspect you probably need to spend a bit more on the graphics card if you want to ensure good performance in some of the more demanding games.

I'm thinking something around the AMD RX 5700 or NVidia RTX 2060 would be a better bet and although about £100 more than the 580, should come well in budget if you're going for a secondhand i7 and don't need to upgrade Motherboard and RAM etc.

Upvote 0
Much depends on what display resolution/refresh rate you're outputting to (1080p at 60hz needs a lot less graphical horsepower than 4k at 144hz for example) but I suspect you probably need to spend a bit more on the graphics card if you want to ensure good performance in some of the more demanding games.

I'm thinking something around the AMD RX 5700 or NVidia RTX 2060 would be a better bet and although about £100 more than the 580, should come well in budget if you're going for a secondhand i7 and don't need to upgrade Motherboard and RAM etc.
I'm playing on a 4k monitor, but i set the resolution on 1080p. I will buy a better graphics card en a second hand i7. Think thats the best option right now. Thanks for the help so far guys!

Upvote 0
personally, if it were me id get the Ryzen 3600 processor with an AMD 5700 GPU (you can get a lot of free performance with BIOS and power table mods) and a new B550 motherboard (just released) and cheap ddr4 memory the price to performance can't really be matched by Intel. For looking at PC builds use PC Partpicker it will let you see all compatible components in your build its super helpful

Upvote 0
personally, if it were me id get the Ryzen 3600 processor with an AMD 5700 GPU (you can get a lot of free performance with BIOS and power table mods) and a new B550 motherboard (just released) and cheap ddr4 memory the price to performance can't really be matched by Intel. For looking at PC builds use PC Partpicker it will let you see all compatible components in your build its super helpful
Thanks man! That's a good one.

Upvote 0
I would not personally upgrade your current computer. It is sitting on an older architecture with ddr3, furthermore, even going to a 4790 (still not cheap) will not necessarily mean that you won't be bottlenecking it. If you game at 1080p, keep in mind that fast ram plays a huge part on the framerate especially if you are bottlenecking on the cpu side. Like the previous post, a known budget will give some insight on which direction to go.

Upvote 0
Thanks man! That's a good one.

I agree with what this poster said unless you are an Intel faithful. I am the type that doesn't care. I want the best price/performance, and don't care who gives it to me :).

IMO best value would be something like the below:

1. 3600 or 3600X
2. B450 MB (if the X570 is out of your price range), or B550 (I have not read much about them yet)
3. 5700 is a good choice (great price/performance), or the 5700xt if you have a little more $, and up from that the NVidia 2070 super if you can stretch things.
4. 16GB RAM. Lower speed is fine for the Intel, but AMD does like faster ram. 3200 or 3600.

You can probably reuse your PSU, case, and hard drives.

If you happen to be in the US the best "bundle" deals for CPU/MB for both Intel and AMD tends to be at Microcenter, but they only give the good pricing in store only.

Also, you may get a good enough boost by just upgrading your video card for now.

This may help a little.

Edit: If all you do is game, the Intel may be the way to go. The 9400F does as well there, but if you are recording, running SimHub, or multi threaded apps you may want to lean AMD. Either should do you well though. If you just want short term solution...a used 1070 or a 1660 from NVidia may also get you to the point yo want to be. I was running an Intel i5 4670 with a GTX 1070, and it did well with most racing/sims. Including PC2. Not as good as what I have now, but just a thought. Good luck in what you decide.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with what this poster said unless you are an Intel faithful. I am the type that doesn't care. I want the best price/performance, and don't care who gives it to me :).

IMO best value would be something like the below:

1. 3600 or 3600X
2. B450 MB (if the X570 is out of your price range), or B550 (I have not read much about them yet)
3. 5700 is a good choice (great price/performance), or the 5700xt if you have a little more $, and up from that the NVidia 2070 super if you can stretch things.
4. 16GB RAM. Lower speed is fine for the Intel, but AMD does like faster ram. 3200 or 3600.

You can probably reuse your PSU, case, and hard drives.

If you happen to be in the US the best "bundle" deals for CPU/MB for both Intel and AMD tends to be at Microcenter, but they only give the good pricing in store only.

Also, you may get a good enough boost by just upgrading your video card for now.

This may help a little.

Edit: If all you do is game, the Intel may be the way to go. The 9400F does as well there, but if you are recording, running SimHub, or multi threaded apps you may want to lean AMD. Either should do you well though. If you just want short term solution...a used 1070 or a 1660 from NVidia may also get you to the point yo want to be. I was running an Intel i5 4670 with a GTX 1070, and it did well with most racing/sims. Including PC2. Not as good as what I have now, but just a thought. Good luck in what you decide.
Thanks man, really helpful information!

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 215 14.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 115 7.7%