Upgrading monitor(s)

race_fanatic_

If you want to win, hire a...
Hi,

Been using a single 23.6 inch monitor - I also own a rift, but don't find it comfortable to use regularly and got an eye issue which also lessens the experience.

Would like some help regarding what I should go for. I don't find single screen bad but understand 3 is a lot better.

PC Specs:
i7-8700K
GeForce GTX 1080
(got 3 display ports) (pls ask for more specs if needed)

Firstly, I have gotten the impression that 27" is the way to go both for single or triple, especially as the monitors will be close to me.

What I don't know is what kind of specs on monitor I can buy to be able to use the performance with the PC I got. Am I right in saying I should go 1080 if I do triple and go 1440 for single? 144hz for both.

What panel type is prefered for simracing? I understand IPS is better, but is it worth the money, will it make a big difference? Also for G-sync, does it make much of a difference?

Highly appreciate some help! Thanks

I have a gtx1080 with 3 display ports and bought 3 IIYAMA freesync 27 inch 1080p monitors non ips.
I had a limited pot when building and I'm very happy with following exceptions:
1 I would get bigger screens if doing it again so you could see a little more of the dash.
2 If going freesync with an Nvidia card then the freesyne compatibility will only work in triple surround with the 20 series cards
3 If money no object I would get 1440p monitors. 1080 isn't bad but 1440 much better if you can run them but that's the hard part.

Upvote 0
I have a gtx1080 with 3 display ports and bought 3 IIYAMA freesync 27 inch 1080p monitors non ips.
I had a limited pot when building and I'm very happy with following exceptions:
1 I would get bigger screens if doing it again so you could see a little more of the dash.
2 If going freesync with an Nvidia card then the freesyne compatibility will only work in triple surround with the 20 series cards
3 If money no object I would get 1440p monitors. 1080 isn't bad but 1440 much better if you can run them but that's the hard part.
Hmm yeah, 1440p is pretty much why I consider single screen again, would imagine pc would struggle with 3 of them. But also guess I'm used to 1080 so wouldn't bug me in that way, except for more visible pixels at a bigger monitor. It's not easy, I guess 32 inch 1440p single also could be an option.

Upvote 0
triple 27 inch 1080p 144hz is what I'm thinking so far. (this shouldn't be any issue for my PC, right?)

Guessing I'm not gonna bother with g-sync or IPS unless someone objects...

Quite good options I'd say for nice prices - 1440p gets expensive so even if PC could handle it I don't think I would ;)

Upvote 0
Yeah you will be happy with 27inch and they have freesync so if you ever upgrade your gpu to a 2080 or something you should get freesync working too via gsync comparable in Nvidia settings.
The monitors I have are 75hz and I can just about get that in most Sims with decent eye candy. If you want 144hz you would have to drop the visuals a good bit to get it. But if you got the 2080 it should solve a lot .
I will get a 2080 myself whenever I can.

Upvote 0
Definitely go for 144hz - the difference is night and day. Ideally you would want a monitor that can run VariableRefreshRate. Mine does run in the range 48fps-144fps (AOC C27G1) so as long as you stay within that range everything is synced and fluid. Note that I have an AMD card.

IPS vs MVA vs TN - IPS has longer draw time so will be generally a bit slower and more prone to ghosting and the blacks won't be deep but will have the best viewing angle off center and potentially best color reproduction; MVA has great blacks so the contrast is also higher, better than TN viewing angles and colors and is usually faster than IPS; TN is the quickest and shittiest tech in this regard, viewing angles off center are bad (you'll get color shift etc) but it's the only option when going 240hz.

Those are obviously rule of thumb - a 500€ TN screen will still usually be better than a 150€ IPS. Don't forget to consider your eyes too - you've only got a pair of those so if u spend hours daily staring at those screens be sure to go flicker free and blue light filter.

1 vs 3 I'd say for simracing 3 is always better than one. And don't go overboard with the resolution - 3x 1080 is a proper workout since you're pushing more than 6m pixels (4k is around 10m for comparison)

Upvote 0
Definitely go for 144hz - the difference is night and day. Ideally you would want a monitor that can run VariableRefreshRate. Mine does run in the range 48fps-144fps (AOC C27G1) so as long as you stay within that range everything is synced and fluid. Note that I have an AMD card.

IPS vs MVA vs TN - IPS has longer draw time so will be generally a bit slower and more prone to ghosting and the blacks won't be deep but will have the best viewing angle off center and potentially best color reproduction; MVA has great blacks so the contrast is also higher, better than TN viewing angles and colors and is usually faster than IPS; TN is the quickest and shittiest tech in this regard, viewing angles off center are bad (you'll get color shift etc) but it's the only option when going 240hz.

Those are obviously rule of thumb - a 500€ TN screen will still usually be better than a 150€ IPS. Don't forget to consider your eyes too - you've only got a pair of those so if u spend hours daily staring at those screens be sure to go flicker free and blue light filter.

1 vs 3 I'd say for simracing 3 is always better than one. And don't go overboard with the resolution - 3x 1080 is a proper workout since you're pushing more than 6m pixels (4k is around 10m for comparison)
Your monitor is the one I'm currently looking at, do you run triple? Any complaints?

Upvote 0
My triple 27" 1080p are 75 Hz IPS driven by a GTX 1080. I'll second everything @GEO27 said. I'm looking to upgrade to 32" 1440p IPS, but choices are limited and I think I'll wait another year for the sake of my bank account since it will be time for a whole new system, not just swapping cards.

Upvote 0
Yeah you will be happy with 27inch and they have freesync so if you ever upgrade your gpu to a 2080 or something you should get freesync working too via gsync comparable in Nvidia settings.
The monitors I have are 75hz and I can just about get that in most Sims with decent eye candy. If you want 144hz you would have to drop the visuals a good bit to get it. But if you got the 2080 it should solve a lot .
I will get a 2080 myself whenever I can.

Those are the Iiyama TN g-masters right? I can get those for a good price here in Japan and are considering them but wondering about the colors and viewing angles. What are your thoughts?

Upvote 0
Colours and viewing angles are pretty good. I looked at a lot of info about them prior to purchasing. Very happy with them in every way.
Totally Dubbed HD does monitor reviews on YouTube and he amongst others rated them very highly .

Upvote 0
So this one? https://www.amazon.com/AOC-CQ27G1-DisplayPort-Adjustable-Zero-Bright/dp/B07V39QHMY
That does indeed look cheap considering the 1440p (but I don't think my PC would run 3 with good performance, would it?)

I wish I knew! I'm in the same boat really, I want to go to triples but not sure how. I already have an AOC Gg2790px (144hz 1080p) so could add two more cheaply - or do I utilise the older AOC elsewhere and go for 3 X CQ27Q1 (1440p). I've just upgraded my rig PC to an i9 9900k and 2080Super so have to decide what is better.. 1440p clarity but with reduced settings/lower fps or 1080p but higher settings/fps

Upvote 0
What do think about triple ultra wide 34 monitors ?
I feel its a waste of money compared to triple 27" monitors. The ultrawides will give you a slightly better center because the bezels are spread further apart, but the side monitors experience will still be about the same. Remember you focus on the center monitor, but the side monitors are in your peripheral vision except when you directly look at them. You can get much the same experience with better overall FOV by going to triple 32" 16:9 monitors--finding the desired 32" monitors is difficult though because the selection is limited.

Is the 1080ti enough to run 3 ultra wide monitors?
Not really, particularly if they're 1440p.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 103 8.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 185 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 363 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing