Upgrading from PS4 to pc options?

Hi,

I'm looking at upgrading from a PS4 to a pc.

I honestly have no idea what I need but have a couple of quotes, at two different price points.

Just wanted to check if either would be suitable;

Option 1: (will have an upgraded graphics card to eventually run triple screens).

XyynfNkGDXbR9gOlm6pth3oA0QnTBnunpEQcQmjZEEk5_muaDy1deh-v8PEnF6E6NMX3Sm2GDkJehpWaLnolI5HmzDSCaJiiv6BzmJtAp_ECUNnb5Syw-JK85aqpaWJ2lbs=s0-d-e1-ft

Option 2:

AMD AM4 Motherboard
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 HEXA SIX Core CPU, 3.60 GHz, Max Turbo 3.9 GHz
240GB SSD Solid State
Motherboard
A320M AMD AM4 Motherboard SATA3 6Gb/s, USB 3.0 & Ultra M.2
RAM
8GB DDR4 RAM/Memory PC-21300 (2666MHz) with Life-time Warranty

Video Card
AMD Graphics RX 570 8GB GDDR5 Full ULTRA HD 4K DirectX
AMD RYZEN 5 2600
500W PSU

HDD
Samsung / Western Digital / Crucial 2.5" 240GB SATA III Solid State Drive

Audio
Onboard 7.1 CH High Definition Audio

Network
Onboard 10/100/1000M Gigabit LAN
RX570 8GB

PSU
500W PSU with 12cm Super-Silent Fan
8GB Ram

Ports
LAN Port / RJ45 Ethernet / HD Audio Jacks
Front - 3 x USB Ports / Back - 6 x USB Ports
1 x HDMI Port / 1 x Display Port / 1 x DVI Port

Any help would be highly appreciated!

It would be helpful if you posted the prices of the two builds. Also, please post your budget.

Many PC gaming sites (Bitwit, JayzTwoCents) suggest spending the majority of your build cost on the GPU as this is the single most expensive component. For instance, some of the entry level Ryxen CPUs are excellent bargains in the sub $90 USD range. I would also increase the PSU to 650W for GPU and CPU requirements, especially if you think you may upgrade later.

If you can, be patient and look for used parts from fellow sim racers making upgrades along with sales and rebates. It took me a lot of planning, but I just built a Ryzen 3700X / GTX 1080i combination. I can see clearly where I could have shaved several $100s off my build going to a less expensive CPU and motherboard, case, RAM, etc., but I was trying to futureproof ( yes, the f-word) my system and keep it as cool as an aircooled system will allow.

Good hunting and Godspeed!

It would be helpful if you posted the prices of the two builds. Also, please post your budget.

Many PC gaming sites (Bitwit, JayzTwoCents) suggest spending the majority of your build cost on the GPU as this is the single most expensive component. For instance, some of the entry level Ryxen CPUs are excellent bargains in the sub $90 USD range. I would also increase the PSU to 650W for GPU and CPU requirements, especially if you think you may upgrade later.

If you can, be patient and look for used parts from fellow sim racers making upgrades along with sales and rebates. It took me a lot of planning, but I just built a Ryzen 3700X / GTX 1080i combination. I can see clearly where I could have shaved several $100s off my build going to a less expensive CPU and motherboard, case, RAM, etc., but I was trying to futureproof ( yes, the f-word) my system and keep it as cool as an aircooled system will allow.

Good hunting and Godspeed!

Hi Ruttman98,

Thanks so much for the reply and detailed message.

The prices for both builds are:
Option 1: $1,272.43.
Option 2: $700.00.

My budget is around $1500 at the moment.

I guess I'm looking for something off the shelf as I have no idea what to look for or any technical ability to put something together.

Thanks again for the message!

Be safe and well!

Hi,

build 1 I reckon is a rip-off for that price. I quickly put in the components from your screenshots to PC part picker, the result you can find here. These are probably using the cheapest prices available online, so you can maybe add another $100 on top of that, but this sort of build should still cost no more than $900.

Other than price, the biggest potential problem with option 1 is the CPU. Generally speaking you don't want to be gaming on a four core four thread CPU in 2020. While it might work ok with today's sims, lots of games are already a stuttery mess and have started to demand a minimum of 4C/8T. I wouldn't consider Intel platform at all currently unless you go for the most expensive high-end performance rig.

Build 2 is a better baseline and the price seems more in line, however, there are a couple of oddities. The motherboard listed uses the first-gen A320M chipset from 2017, I don't see much point using it as you can find cheap and more capable B450 chipset motherboards for the same price (some of the older A320M boards may actually not even be fully compatible with newer Ryzen CPU's). The CPU itself is a good choice, however, you could even go with the Ryzen 5 1600AF, it's basically a 2600 with minimally lower clock speeds. The RAM I would straight go for 16 GB as in option 1, 8 GB is limiting in many modern games.

Finally, the GPU choice is probably the most important. Actually both of those options come with decent GPU's for 1080p game play. For anything like triple screens, I would look at a minimum of RTX 2060 from Nvidia side or RX 5700 from AMD, but then again, those are 300-$400 cards. Hope this was of some help anyway.

Theres a quick build I've slapped together for a $1500 budget, water cooling, all SSD system ;) $1500 is more than enough budget for a decent rig! Could happily change the large SSD for a normal HDD to save $100 if you need it elsewhere. That will quite happily run triple screens with FPS to spare:p

Hi Ruttman98,

Thanks so much for the reply and detailed message.

My budget is around $1500 at the moment.

I guess I'm looking for something off the shelf as I have no idea what to look for or any technical ability to put something together.

Thanks again for the message!

Be safe and well!
As mentioned, I built my system--my first--so anybody can do it!

It is a bit nerve-wracking working with expensive, sensitive electrical components. It doesn't require a great deal of finesse, but some of the steps are ambiguous. (I should post some do's and don'ts for dummies having just completed a week ago.)

If you do decide to tackle a build: be crucially aware of static discharge: if you can feel, hear or see a spark, it contains many times more volts than those required to ruin a CPU, MB or GPU. Ideally, buy or borrow an anti-static mat (a must in a dry environment IMO) and wrist band.

After a lot of debate about getting a mat (indoors, Missouri is adequately humid this time of year), I built on a wood floor on our wooden kitchen table while seated (most of the time) in a simple wood chair. I also avoided synthetic or wool clothing which could create static; I wore cotton--blue jeans and a t-shirt. I even made my own anti-static wrist band from a velcro strap, a carriage bolt, and a 24" length of insulated copper wire which I looped on the perforated vents of the rear PC case metal as a ground. Better yet: use a set of alligator clips.

Getting down to the nitty gritty: spend a little time studying the layout of your motherboard. There are so many great build resources online from manufacturers and YouTubers. It's difficult to plug cables in the wrong places if you have a quality PSU and MB--they should be marked and the connectors are fairly specialized

I targeted 1080p triples (still yet to test in game), and the combo rocked a graphics stress test--performed, mind you, by my PC-savvy stepson). My build clocked in a shade under $1500--I will post later. My biggest gamble was on the used $400 EVGA GTX 1080 ti Gaming SC2 from eBay. For a little more $, the RTX 2070 Super would be a safe bet for a new card with a warranty, but consensus seems the 2070 S does give up some performance to the older 1080 ti due to the latter's 11 GB RAM and core count.

Thanks Ruttman98, robt100 and John-Eric Saxén for your messages!

Ruttman98 I'm massively impressed with your DIY build! I used to be a mechanic so I'm good with nuts and bolts but pc hardware still feels a little intimidating to do it myself.

Would option 2 with 16GB and a different motherboard be a good starting point to possibly upgrade later on?

Thanks again everyone for the help it's greatly appreciated!

I hope everyone is safe and well!

Ruttman98 I'm massively impressed with your DIY build! I used to be a mechanic so I'm good with nuts and bolts but pc hardware still feels a little intimidating to do it myself.

Would option 2 with 16GB and a different motherboard be a good starting point to possibly upgrade later on?

A couple more things to think about:

Most prebuilt PCs skimp on something. Try to get a look at the internals--are they name brand components or cheap off-brand parts? Read buyer and user reviews. If you plan to upgrade in the future, will you be able to do so? In some ways, the choices the PC OEMs make in choosing components could limit your upgrades more than an automotive OEM might limiting the addition of hop-up parts.

8GB RAM should be a minimum for any gaming PC with today's AAA titles; 16 GB is quite competitively priced compared to where prices were not that long ago. Even some of the lesser known names are perfectly good for RAM.

Whatever you do, check the RAM slot capacity of any motherboard: some only have two DIMM slots; 4 is preferrable for future expansion. Always add RAM in two "stick" pairs (2x4GB, 2x8GB, 2x16GB, etc.) Also, take care to match RAM speed to your CPU (AMD Ryzens seem to like 3200hz to 3600hz) and also to the capabilities of the MB (some boards cannot take advantage of greater RAM speeds.) There are many more experienced PC hands on these forums who could expound these considerations and help your selection.

I urge you to continue to research hardware and look for discounts on component bundles. I had the luxury of a MicroCenter store just across the state line where I bought my CPU, MB, RAM, thernal paste, and a great Lian Li case which was on sale and then $10 less as an open box item. My PSU came from Newegg.com and was deeply discounted and carried a $20 rebate. I bought fans and my (second) case from Amazon, but be forewarned that even Prime purchases are taking weeks compared to days for shipping. Amazon shipping may surprise you in a good way as well; they have been very conservative in estimating delivery times; my case arrived a week earlier than originally stated.

I fast-tracked my build slightly due to concerns over component shortages due to the COVID-19 crisis, but most PC experts are not urging stock up mania unless you are ready to build now. In most cases, patience pays off.

A little more DIY build encouragement: As a mechanic, if you are working on 1980s and newer vehicles, you are dealing with ECUs/ECMs/PCMs and the DTCs that accompany angine monitoring. Much like a dashboard Check Engine Light, a motherboard actually tells you if something is amiss with your initial build with either a digital readout or a couple of illuminated LEDs. In my case, when I crossed my fingers to turn on my PC for the first time the MB was "looking" for the operating system (Windows 10) which an easy install from a USB drive. (Beginner's luck?)

One more idea: you might think about bartering your mechanical skills for experienced PC build advice and labor. Our 2000 Yukon XL always has need, and I need someone to chase all (and be able to get to) all of the annoying vacuum leaks (CEL is on) on our son's 2001 F-150 104K mile V6!

Thank you for the well wishes.

Start playing around with pcpartpicker for a week or so and watch a couple of yt vids on how to build a pc. IMO, These are much more useful actions than asking on forums about specific parts lists.

I think this will either wake your inner geek and convince you to build your own, or scare you off. Either way, you’ll learn something and if you have a mechanical background, my money says you’re a builder!

The most fun part of building a pc is choosing the parts. The actual build is usuall y disappointingly brief.

Option 2 with a B450 board (people prefer the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max in particular due to its VRM cooling) and 16 GB RAM is definitely a good start. You can't go much wrong with AMD Ryzen's at the moment, so then you'll just have the GPU choice remaining, which is always less trivial.

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all your detailed responses, they are really appreciated!!

After reading everyone's messages I think I need to build my knowledge a bit more.

As having little to no knowledge on PC's I initially was hoping that I could buy something off the shelf. But it's seems like the best option for value and performance is a self build or possibly somewhere in between.

This is my first question on this forum and everyone's been amazingly helpful, so thanks very much!

Again I hope everyone is coping okay with the current situation and staying safe!

You are doing all of the right things. If after your research you still do not want to build your own PC, you might pick out your parts, ask for feedback here and on PC build sites about yor selections, and have them assembled by an experienced builder.

Since I have family in the Detroit area, I strongly considered having ISRTV.com forum contributor low_psi build me a system. The once-lively forums over there are nearly dead, but he occasionally posts some mild to wild builds and build services in the ISRTV classifieds. He goes by BL Sim Racing PC Solutions on Facebook if you want to see some of his work. If I remember correctly, he is a longtime IT guy and passes along the excellent prices he gets on components to his customers. I gather he is located somewhere near the Microcenter store in Troy, MI, and really likes doing great builds tailored to people's wants for very little labor cost. After delivery, he is as close as a text away for his customers.

Excellent custom prebuilts include Digital Storm, Xidax, Maingear, and Origin PC which is owned by component maker Corsair.

Alternatively, you might look at the Corsair One Pro as a premium watercooled prebuilt with a very small desktop footprint, but this will likely exceed your $2k budget. It is a work of art and a powerful compact system. There were some heavily discounted refurbished Ones with the I7700k /1080 ti on the Corsair website which had at least a year of warranty (maybe 2), but they were out of stock the last time I checked. I likely would have gone that route for approx. $1350 USD.

As others have said, enjoy the hunt. Take care of yourself and keep us posted.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back