Upgrade to GTX 1080 and poor performance?

I've just upgraded to a GTX 1080 from an R9 290X and the graphics performance of this game is now garbage. All other games have received a massive performance boost but R3E is much worse. I understand all the Nvidia settings as I used to own a Nvidia card and have tried many different video settings in game but nothing helps. Can anyone help who has been in a similar situation? I'm beginning to think that because it's relatively old and uses DX9 that my new card hates it.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the game and have also deleted the SIMBIN folder before re-installing.

Last edited:
I've just upgraded to a GTX 1080 from an R9 290X and the graphics performance of this game is now garbage. All other games have received a massive performance boost but R3E is much worse. I understand all the Nvidia settings as I used to own a Nvidia card and have tried many different video settings in game but nothing helps. Can anyone help who has been in a similar situation? I'm beginning to think that because it's relatively old and uses DX9 that my new card hates it.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the game and have also deleted the SIMBIN folder before re-installing.
You don't provide any other specs (CPU, resolution, etc.) but I suspect your CPU may be a bottleneck. I have a 1080 Ti and run most everything in R3E at max @ 5870x1080. But when running with say 17 AI I can only maintain 60-100 FPS while my GPU is only running at 60%, CPU maxed (i7-3770, 4GHz turbo). My performance was similar with my previous GTX 1070 (will some settings less than max) - can't fully take advantage of my 1080 Ti as my CPU is the bottleneck under certain conditions.

Outside of VR, I can run R3E with all graphics maxed out and 30+ AI on the track without any performance problems on my 1060. It definitely sounds like your issue is coming from something other than your graphics card.

Not sure what you mean by "bad performance" but if you have strange stuttering every few seconds it might be the stupid energy saving from nvidia.
Go into the control panel, the race room profile and change "power managing" or something similar to "prefer maximum performance".

My 1070 likes to run not that demanding games with 800 MHz instead of 1800 MHz...
Sure, saves a lot of energy, but induces stuttering!

Open Oculus Debug tool and look at your actual headroom and when AWS is kicking in first. I see people all the time claiming they are maxed out on all settings in games with perfect graphics when in reality they're hammering AWS at 45FPS and getting tons of blurry artifacts as a result.

R3E is a DX9 implementation. That being said, it is a lot like PCars2 in that it is very CPU heavy. Using a 1080GTX card, I was stuck on medium/low settings until i jumped to an i7-7700k CPU. Now, i'm in the med/high range with no issues.

Mirrors are the biggest killer of FPS, even on low and you'll never get the performance out of this title you may with AC/iRacing because of the engine but you can still make it playable depending upon your CPU

Open Oculus Debug tool and look at your actual headroom and when AWS is kicking in first. I see people all the time claiming they are maxed out on all settings in games with perfect graphics when in reality they're hammering AWS at 45FPS and getting tons of blurry artifacts as a result.

The OP does not mention Oculus.

Here are my specs

AMD FX8350 @ 4.5ghz
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8GB video ram
SSD
16 Gb DDR3 ram
Playing at 1080p (some games using DSR @1440)

I know it's not the best processor in the world but is coping fine with lots of modern games (FH3, PCars 2, F1 2017) and verified using afterburner.

However, I guess that it is the CPU with this game as when I lower the amount of cars things get a lot better

Not sure what you mean by "bad performance" but if you have strange stuttering every few seconds it might be the stupid energy saving from nvidia.
Go into the control panel, the race room profile and change "power managing" or something similar to "prefer maximum performance".

My 1070 likes to run not that demanding games with 800 MHz instead of 1800 MHz...
Sure, saves a lot of energy, but induces stuttering!
Thanks but it's not this.

R3E is a DX9 implementation. That being said, it is a lot like PCars2 in that it is very CPU heavy. Using a 1080GTX card, I was stuck on medium/low settings until i jumped to an i7-7700k CPU. Now, i'm in the med/high range with no issues.

Mirrors are the biggest killer of FPS, even on low and you'll never get the performance out of this title you may with AC/iRacing because of the engine but you can still make it playable depending upon your CPU
I've played this game for years with the same CPU and an R9 290X and the game ran like silk and I know the game settings inside out. BTW I am not using VR

Last edited:
I just monitored CPU and GPU usage using afterburner whilst watching a replay.

Max overall CPU usage was only 48% but certain cores out of the 8 spiked to 100% so there in lies the problem. GPU usage maxed at 71% but was much lower on average.

CPU has never spiked liked this before when using an R9 290X with much higher graphical settings?

Last edited:
Here are my specs

AMD FX8350 @ 4.5ghz
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8GB video ram
SSD
16 Gb DDR3 ram
Playing at 1080p (some games using DSR @1440)

I know it's not the best processor in the world but is coping fine with lots of modern games (FH3, PCars 2, F1 2017) and verified using afterburner.

However, I guess that it is the CPU with this game as when I lower the amount of cars things get a lot better
That will never work... FX, no matter at what speed, is nothing more than a hot bottleneck for a 1080... Believe me, I also had to replace my 9370 (@4,8GHz) with a 7700k. Night and day...

That will never work... FX, no matter at what speed, is nothing more than a hot bottleneck for a 1080... Believe me, I also had to replace my 9370 (@4,8GHz) with a 7700k. Night and day...
I'm only playing at 1080p or 1440 using DSR and is working fine now that I've sorted out the power management in the Nvidia driver settings. After burner is showing acceptably low CPU usage on all cores. I'm under no illusions though and know I'll need a faster processor if I want to play at much higher resolution in the future.

Triple screen setup with 8350fx and 980ti, runs fine.
usually the culprit is the high mirror detail or the shadows, check that first.
also im not overclocking had issues with project cars blue screen, so its standard clock and runs all my sim games super...

Triple screen setup with 8350fx and 980ti, runs fine.
usually the culprit is the high mirror detail or the shadows, check that first.
also im not overclocking had issues with project cars blue screen, so its standard clock and runs all my sim games super...
Running fine now thanks. Just some minor tweaks I had to make in the driver settings and also in some games. Also a managed to overclock my FX8350 to 4.64ghz on air with the hyper evo cooler/fan and is stable as :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back