Upgrade the CPU or the GPU...?!? more frames with Car Mods ( only 0 LOD ).

Hi fellow Assetto fans,

My system specs : Ryzen 1600 + GTX 1660ti + 16 GB 3000 Mhz Ram + 29" 21:9 2560 x 1080 screen.

Situation :

Original Kunos Cars + Car Mods with 0-3 LOD easily gives me 75 fps + in grid size of 20 and above.

However with Car Mods ( only 0 LOD ) barely gives 45 fps in grid size of 20 and above. ( Not smooth enough )

What should i upgrade to get 75 fps+ in grid size of 20 and above for Car Mods ( only 0 LOD ) ...?!?

Upgrade CPU to Ryzen 3600 or the GPU to GTX 2060 Super/2070Super...?!?

Thanks,

Rana

I will say you will have to look at your system as a driver etc.
Because my system is very similar to yours ( ryzen 2600 1660super and 16gb ram) and my fps I have capped at 99fps and it never drops below and it is with everything at max but only in 1080p

I race on SRS every night and it is almost always with 22 cars and it often consists of tracks and cars that are mods..

anyone recently upgraded their CPU or GPU...? Is AC Cpu or Gpu intensive?

Which will make more difference in AC?
I think nowadays its more of a question "which components I can actually buy anywhere" as current hardware availability is.... well... :/
all depends also what CPU/GPU u currently have? old i5 may have some problems in CPU occupancy but Ryzen5 will probably not even notice AC with mods. GPU will depend on resolution you play and desired FPS, so will need more info to answer this.

I think nowadays its more of a question "which components I can actually buy anywhere" as current hardware availability is.... well... :/
all depends also what CPU/GPU u currently have? old i5 may have some problems in CPU occupancy but Ryzen5 will probably not even notice AC with mods. GPU will depend on resolution you play and desired FPS, so will need more info to answer this.
I have Ryzen 1600 + 1660ti.

Problem is mods with enough LODS(upto 3) run very smoothly even upto 20 cars easy 70 to 90 fps on my 29" 2560 x 1080 ultrawide.

But mods with 0 LODS bring fps down to 40 to 50 fps and also introduce stutters with same no. of 20 cars.

In above scenario if I reduce mod cars to 10 in number, then I get back to 70 to 90 fps.

Essentially mods without LODS cause fps to drop and stutter.

So I'm keen to know whether I should upgrade CPU power or GPU power (ignore current pricing) so i can get 70 to 90 fps with 0 LODS mods with a 20 cars or more race...

Last edited:
I´m by no means an expert, this is my first ever gaming PC :rolleyes:

But I see GPU 99% and CPU between 25-35% in AC with CM and 23 Mod AI on mod track ( Skippy on Chang International)

A few days ago I had my FPS badly tanking and the reasons were twofold:

I had played around with graphical settings in CM and AC, some "mirror settings" were extremely bad for FPS.
And I found a lot of background work caused by Simhub. Stopped that and put the mirrors two notches back and Boom, 90-125 FPS, now capped to 90 for GPU care soo it keeps under 70° C. (R5 3600x with rx5700xt triple 1080p)

I´d advise you to look first which part of your PC is struggeling, for example I run NZXT Cam with an overlay for
FPS/Load/Temps.

Than comb through your graphical settings, often putting it down a notch or two doesn´t even show in quality.

From what I read ( NOT an expert) AC is not very good with multicore CPUs so high clockspeeds of the CPU really help.
But your monitoring software will tell where the bottleneck lies.

Good Luck Carsten

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years