Featured Update 9 For DAKAR 18 Released

Discussion in 'Dakar 18' started by Paul Jeffrey, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +17,437
    Dakar 18 Build .9.png
    DAKAR 18 has been updated once again, build number nine hitting Steam recently - and again it's one impressive sized change log...

Available as of November 3rd for PC players of DAKAR 18, the new build update is again another useful step in the right direction for Bigmoon Studios as they continue an impressive dedication towards bringing this potentially very solid racing title up to a level where it can compete on an even footing with other race and rally simulations in the current gaming marketplace.

Now marking the ninth post release update for the DAKAR 18 rally simulation, the latest update offers a nice selection of fixes and improvements to the software, not least of which is the implementation of several nice touches, such as the ability to skip the initial tutorial (at last!) and a very solid crash camera effect and impact particles.

Check out the full change log below -

We are releasing the ninth update, with new content focused on improving the gameplay experience, especially on Rookie mode.

In addition, we have included improvements and fixes from reported issues.

All PC updates will be available for PlayStation and Xbox as soon as possible

New Features:
    • Implemented permanent WayPoint indicator (WP) on Rookie mode (on and off-track)
    • Implemented the option to skip the Tutorial at the Start Menu
    • Implemented crash camera effect
    • Implemented impact particles
    Features improved:
    • Improved: the Previously used camera is now restored when the player returns to the game, in career mode
    • Improved: Game Performance increase on stages with vegetation
    • Improved: Road book icons were adjusted to improve navigation
    • Improved: Removed the vehicle to tow mechanics when the player choose challenge mode in the tutorial
    • Improved: The Ocean effect
    • Improved: Removed the WayPoint indicator (WP) on training lessons for a better understanding of Dakar 18 Navigation System.
    General Bugs fixed:
    • Fixed: Bikes would hit the ASO NPC during control points
    • Fixed: Audio effects stop playing after a while
    • Fixed: Bikes would fall during the intro cutscene
    • Fixed: Steering linearity was not properly set after using the Last Waypoint
    • Fixed: Problems unlocking the achievement "Better than Walkner"
    • Fixed: Opening the Steam overlay platform during pause would lead to no input
    • Fixed: In the option "Restart Stage" if the Last Waypoint option was activated, didn't move the character to the proper place
    • Fixed: Issue related with the orientation arrow when is inside of the other waypoint radius
    • Fixed: After a Load Game the waypoint counters were duplicated
    • Fixed: After a Load game, all AI drivers would start from the beginning and not on the previous position
    • Fixed: Controller vibration option no longer interferes with force feedback from the steering wheels
    • Fixed: Credits background overlaying gameplay after complete a career
    • Fixed: Road book not updating when doing the last waypoint option on Multiplayer.

DAKAR 18 is available for £39.99 on Steam now.

To keep in touch with all the latest news from this simulation, and to share the excitement with your fellow fans of the great event, be sure to check out the Dakar 18 sub forum right here at RaceDepartment.com!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Instagram
    Youtube
    Twitch

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  2. roadyroad

roadyroad

Ratings:
    +23
    How does it feel now then?

3. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Moving Chicane Premium

Ratings:
    +3,398
    What exactly do you want to know?

4. roadyroad

roadyroad

Ratings:
    +23
    Well, I've understood from previous posts before that the experience was interesting but that the game was better with a controller because with a wheel it was just bad. I know it is not a sim in terms of driving but has it at least a believable driving model?

I would not be annoyed by arcade physics if they provided some minimum enjoyment with a wheel. But I would not touch the game if I had to use a controller.

And is the cocpkit view usable? Driving in 3rd person kills the immersion for me.

• Beer Beer x 2
  5. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Moving Chicane Premium

Ratings:
    +3,398
    Depends on what you call a believable driving model. I would probably be hesitant to even use a term like "driving model" with this game, because using a term like that suggests fairly realistic handling, and that's not really what you get with this game. You get a very simplistic handling that I would describe as "acceptable" for this kind of game. Also depends on what type of vehicle you drive, because bikes and quads have some quirks that can get frustrating, I guess.

As for wheel vs. controller, I can obviously only speak for my humble setup, but wheel all the way. I have no real issues with wheel except the need to set wheel rotation manually it the wheel's control panel and I also like to turn on a bit of centering spring. But we now even have H-shifter option, full clutch, FFB has been tweaked in this update...wheel seems like a no-brainer for me.

And as for cockpit view, "usable" is a very good way to describe it IMO. You can adjust seat position in a limited way. Doesn't have any FOV settings, but apparently they are coming (if I understood a dev comment correctly).

• Like Like x 1
  6. roadyroad

roadyroad

Ratings:
    +23
    Well if the handling is acceptable it may be sufficient for me. When I say "believable" it means "no broken".

Arcade physics like those of The Crew 1 (I haven't tried the second one) are believable but simple, and still enjoyable. For sure understeering and oversteering are is not big issues but you can feel something in the cars , each one having its own behaviour and you can feel the difference between offroad and on tarmac. With something similar I would fet a copy of dakar (although on sale brc1use I'm not sure I'll have the patience for the most inter3sting part of the game ).

7. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Moving Chicane Premium

Ratings:
    +3,398
    The problem is, my "acceptable" might not be your "acceptable", and your "not broken" might not be mine "not broken"...

These things are all very subjective :unsure:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Boby Kim

Boby Kim

Ratings:
    +449
    Buy it, try it, refund within 2 hours or keep it

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. treza94

treza94

Ratings:
    +4
    Early 2018 : THIS GAME GONNA BE AWESOME AND REALISTIC

Now : Hum....well, Need For Speed Underground looks almost better and it also share the same realism. Where did I put my money ?

10. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Moving Chicane Premium

Ratings:
    +3,398
    @treza94 I must've missed the 80-minute long rally raid stages you have to navigate yourself with just a compass and a roadbook in NFS Underground. That's a shame, because I'm pretty sure I would've liked it.

• Haha Haha x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. treza94

treza94

Ratings:
    +4
    @Martin Fiala
    I never wrote about the gameplay, just about the Graphic and the Realism ^^
    In fact, hopefully we can navigate with just and a roadbook in dakar2k18 because of IT'S DAKAR, without that, this game would be a pure failure ^^

12. Jozsusz

Jozsusz

Ratings:
    +24
    Well, I tried the 0.8 version and with a wheel it was laughable. I mean I couldn't go straight with a Peugeot...

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. apex11

apex11

Ratings:
    +392
    At least it's realistic then...

• Haha Haha x 4
  14. roadyroad

roadyroad

Ratings:
    +23
    Well, you're right. Don't know why, I never think about doing that (maybe because I usually don't get keys directly from steam). I'll wait for a sale and shall do that. Thank you all for your answers.

15. Paulo Gomes

Paulo Gomes

Ratings:
    +202
    I guess that a good driving model for this game could be something close to Dirt Rally. For me, everthing this game is about + something close to dirt rally physics = one of the most awesome driving games ever!

16. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Moving Chicane Premium

Ratings:
    +3,398
    If you're expecting Dirt Rally, this is not a game for you.

17. Paulo Gomes

Paulo Gomes

Ratings:
    +202
    Yes this is a game for me, thank you ;) I'm just saying that some physics like dirt rally would make this game better, IMO..

18. Paulo Gomes

Paulo Gomes

Ratings:
    +202
    @Martin Fiala Or in your opnion the only way this game could be a fun/good game is with the current physics? Because they are really bad, and the ffb too..

19. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Moving Chicane Premium

Ratings:
    +3,398
    @Paulo Gomes I don't really understand what you're getting at. We were discussing how the game feels and plays. You quoted my post from that discussion and commented that for you, a good driving model for this game would be something like Dirt Rally. So I simply responded that if you expect Dirt Rally, this isn't a game for you. That's all there was to it. You seem to be trying to read between the lines, except there's nothing there.

• Beer Beer x 1
  20. treza94

treza94

Ratings:
    +4
    That's It : It don't feels good, and only the concept is good because of Dakar.
    The question is why it have been presented as a SIM whereas is a SIM-Arcade with the worst ffb since a long time

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.