Unreal Engine 5 – What Could It Mean For Simracing?

2) There's no jealousy involved when someone says that when it comes to SIMRACING , graphics are secondary. It's simply a fact.

Car simulators are supposed to simulate all real life aspects of car driving/racing as accurately as possible, and graphics happen to be one of them (unless you are blind, nothing against blind persons), so yes those which are lacking in term of graphic immersion are not complete simulators.

Well, if your priorities are textures and aliasing and shadows and reflections...then i'd say you're not focusing on the racing itself but you're "playing" simply to enjoy the pretty graphics. It's ok there's no problem with that. Each "player" has different priorities and gets a different kick out of games. I tend to focus on the scale, physics, AI, FFB etc. That's what provides maximum immersion. Eyecandy is jut the icing.
You got AMS2 or ACC Bruh? Look me up and let's race! I focus plenty on track but just want it all mate and both ACC and AMS 2 are getting close!

Agree totally anyone that says visuals are not important to them is lying else we would all still be player rfactor1 after all gameplay and physics wise it was great.

People just get upset they can't afford the gear to run it I guess but just stay at work a bit later or something :D
Why else would we be running $1000+ graphics cards, $700 CPUs and $1000 1440p and 4k monitors if we don't care about visuals? Just run all games on low with 720p monitors if visuals don't matter! Personally I want the best FFB, physics, graphics then Ai in this order!

Tech like Nanite in UE5 will be huge for sims in the future. Using existing laser scanning and photogrammy for cars and tracks and we could have insanely detailed visuals and track physics. Developers will be able to scan tracks and literally throw them into the game with much less effort required compared to today. Artists won't have to painstakingly trace over the scan data for literally months per track. The physical and visual track mesh become the same thing, but much more detailed, and again less work for the developer. Less work means less cost, meaning more laser scanned tracks for us. Even the likes of Codemasters could get on board if it's cost effective.

The use of LODS and restricted car numbers to reduce draw calls and memory usage also disappear. We get more definition of the cars and tracks at all times, especially in the distance, which allows us to read what's coming up more easily. Things like brake lights can be seen without having to be within spitting distance for example. Track debris, like gravel and marbles will be more visible, and won't pop in as we drive over them. Loads of little things that will improve immersion. Here's one, 3D pitcrew for every single garage as you drive down the pitlane, and increased 3D marshals and 3D crowds around the track. All that can be added without worrying about performance costs.

The future is exciting!

Last edited:
assetto corsa competizione 2.0
I was just about to say the same! This could mean bad news for existing games, as further development for somewhat unfinished releases could again slow down in order to make way for the possible new upcoming release. I want none on that! Give us a BIG update on what we already OWN!

Here's an example, people paid alot of money for a video card that promised exclusive features in a game and still nothing yet. What you gonna tell them they need another video card to fully enjoy Unreal Engine 5, in a 2.0 version of the same release because of the "code"?

RTX.jpg

I think the main thing is a game needs to be highly responsive eg. lowest input lag possible for good feedback / feel.

When I see flashy new game engines, all I think about is all the extra computer power required to run them and laggy controls. Look at ACC, looks rubbish unless at 1440p and even on medium settings starts to eat into your GPU. I think AC has done so well for so long because of it's popularity over time and everyone catching up / overtaking it with computer power.

There's a balance there somewhere I guess at launch for a new game / engine in hitting the right computer requirements. We all have to accept progress and that means ever more powerful computers needed to play them on. My wallet is never generally that happy.

Do we all think Unreal Engine will be the best engine for racing games? Seems to be always used on action / character type games or am I wrong?

I think the main thing is a game needs to be highly responsive eg. lowest input lag possible for good feedback / feel.

When I see flashy new game engines, all I think about is all the extra computer power required to run them and laggy controls. Look at ACC, looks rubbish unless at 1440p and even on medium settings starts to eat into your GPU. I think AC has done so well for so long because of it's popularity over time and everyone catching up / overtaking it with computer power.

There's a balance there somewhere I guess at launch for a new game / engine in hitting the right computer requirements. We all have to accept progress and that means ever more powerful computers needed to play them on. My wallet is never generally that happy.

Do we all think Unreal Engine will be the best engine for racing games? Seems to be always used on action / character type games or am I wrong?
The solution? Radeon Anti-Lag.
Raddon.png

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back