F1 2012 Understeer

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)
I know this has been mentioned a lot since the demo, but I thought it might be a good idea to make a proper thread on it, as I'm having terrible trouble with it. I started a career with HRT and am at Australia. I've tried all sorts of combinations to get rid of it and it's not happening.

Some of you may be getting the same feeling, but the car turns in to an extent and then makes that skid noise and just goes straight. :O_o:

I've tried a rear wing of 1 and a front wing at 10, spring settings of 7-8, 8-8, 10-8 or 11-11, roll bar settings of 1-10,
5-10 and 7-10. Nothing seems to work. I've seen threads at CM saying to turn in gently, but I do that and just go wide anyway. I use a Madcatz wireless wheel incase anyone wants to know. How are you guys coping with it and has anyone found a solution?

this made the game playable to me:

2012mod.jpg

Hi MS7, can you give me a rundown on how to do what you have done please? I have downloaded the Ryder CTF editor, but now what? Also, does this mod effect all cars including the AI?

Thanks
Andy

Steering Linearity
The amount of turn of your wheel compared to the amount of wheel turn in game. 100% is a 1:1 mapping.

NO!

0% is 1:1 in F1 2012

Guys, a really good starting point for wheels is actually to put all the sliders down to 0%.

Only increase deadzone on your wheel if it's a little too twitchy on the straight, only only as few percent as you can get away with.

Only increase deadzone on your pedals if you think there is some input still being sent when you lift completely off (poorly calibrated pots for instance). You can usually check this in windows control panel.

If you can adjust your wheel rotation in windows, or through firmware (Fantatec) then set it to around 330 degrees. This is not only fairly realistic, but will give you the precision you need to be smooth without being too hard to reach full lock in the hairpins.

Avoid using saturation at all costs. All it does is compress the range at which your wheel or pedals will respond. This does make them more 'sensitive' but that's not a good thing because it's an artificial (digital) compression of their natural range of travel. You are much better off adjusting wheel rotation (ie: reducing it from 900 to 330) in windows, than trying to compress it in game with saturation.

Get your wheel setup properly first, then work on your driving technique (slow in, fast out as others have said) and finally work on your car setup.

Ignore MS7XWDC, he has been whining about understeer like a stuck pig since the demo came out but makes no effort to improve his driving. Having to resort to hacking the car handling to try and make it on rails like F1 2011 is fairly sad. Oh, and by his own admission he hasn't even bought the game yet. Quite how he is playing it without having bought it I'll leave up to your own imagination. He'll tell you he goes around to a 'friends' house. Yes, and I'm leaving work early to go to the 'gym'.

I have a very hard time to figure out this linearity-thing. Someone say 100 % is 1:1, the other say 0 % is 1:1. In the game "WRC 2" there was a graph that showed 50 % was a straight line and over and under 50 % the line was bent in one ore the other way. So how does it work, really?

Linearity is to do with the rate at which the steering in-game works relative to the movement of your steering wheel. 1:1 means that for every degree you turn your wheel, the steering in-game will move at the same rate.

You can check this yourself by setting 0% and turning your steering wheel slowly at a constant speed, whilst looking at the tyres move in-game. You can also look at the steering wheel in-game, as it is linked directly (and linearly) to the steering angle in-game, whichever you find easier to look at. Make sure deadzone is 0% also for this experiment or you'll see everything stop as you cross the center wheel position.

As you move your (physical) steering wheel at a constant speed from left to right, look to see if the tyres track smoothly from full left lock to full right lock without speeding up or slowing down anywhere.

Now try with linearity at 50%. You will immediately see that the movement of the tyres is much quicker at the edges of travel, and slows down dramatically in the middle. This is why some people find a little linearity helps calm wobbles down on the straights, because it literally dampens the middle of your wheel travel at the expense of speeding up the edges of your wheel travel.

Now try 100% and similarly you will see that the rate of change is not constant from left to right. Only 0% is 1:1 linear.

Linearity is to do with the rate at which the steering in-game works relative to the movement of your steering wheel. 1:1 means that for every degree you turn your wheel, the steering in-game will move at the same rate.

You can check this yourself by setting 0% and turning your steering wheel slowly at a constant speed, whilst looking at the tyres move in-game. You can also look at the steering wheel in-game, as it is linked directly (and linearly) to the steering angle in-game, whichever you find easier to look at. Make sure deadzone is 0% also for this experiment or you'll see everything stop as you cross the center wheel position.

As you move your (physical) steering wheel at a constant speed from left to right, look to see if the tyres track smoothly from full left lock to full right lock without speeding up or slowing down anywhere.

Now try with linearity at 50%. You will immediately see that the movement of the tyres is much quicker at the edges of travel, and slows down dramatically in the middle. This is why some people find a little linearity helps calm wobbles down on the straights, because it literally dampens the middle of your wheel travel at the expense of speeding up the edges of your wheel travel.

Now try 100% and similarly you will see that the rate of change is not constant from left to right. Only 0% is 1:1 linear.

This is how I find it as well.

I would also like to add that it only works like that - when using a wheel - when override device type is set to wheel.

When mine was set to Gamepad or Off, it was very understeery in the middle, almost like the linearity does not make any difference.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back