F1 2012 Understeer

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)
I know this has been mentioned a lot since the demo, but I thought it might be a good idea to make a proper thread on it, as I'm having terrible trouble with it. I started a career with HRT and am at Australia. I've tried all sorts of combinations to get rid of it and it's not happening.

Some of you may be getting the same feeling, but the car turns in to an extent and then makes that skid noise and just goes straight. :O_o:

I've tried a rear wing of 1 and a front wing at 10, spring settings of 7-8, 8-8, 10-8 or 11-11, roll bar settings of 1-10,
5-10 and 7-10. Nothing seems to work. I've seen threads at CM saying to turn in gently, but I do that and just go wide anyway. I use a Madcatz wireless wheel incase anyone wants to know. How are you guys coping with it and has anyone found a solution?

I had massive problems when I first started this game, because the handling is just so different.

In F1 2011, I was a notorious late apexer (I'd square off the corner most of the time). I'd increase brake pressure, turn in, almost certainly cause a bit of slide (2011 inherent off throttle oversteer bias, where the front wheels stayed locked to the ground), and then feather the throttle until the car settled, then progressively feed power.

In F1 2012, it's almost like doing the exact opposite. E.g. turn 3 in Melbourne.

Here is something i noticed that might be the reason for this change, i'm also a natural late apexer (go deep in the braking zone, bring back and feed the power), but when you go wide aiming to bring back all at once in 2012 the game counts that as "going off the racing line, into the dirt" and all you get is even more understeer, i think that's a bit unfair, a number of racing drivers would also take this type of line making just as clean (and valid as the default line).

And yes trail braking does work, it's just a lot harder to get right.
But when you do get right the front bites nicely.

It seems to me that we all keep referring to the 2011 game with how we all know how it acts and how different the 2012 game is to it. I think it would be much easier to someone who hasn't played this franchise and started with the 2012 game. I'm just too used to the physics of the last one and just cannot get the hang of this one. Thank god for gamefly ;) Absolute crap

However you look at it, the current level of understeer in the game is too much and you can't dial it out. The complete lack of oversteer also doesn't help. Steve Hood confirmed the understeer problem (more or less) and that it will be fixed in a patch so fingers crossed they also make the back end a lot more loose.

So the patch they are talking about fixing the problem, is that just on the pc version or also in the xbox and ps3 versions as well, only bad thing is that with understeer i like it because in multiplayer if you are already used to driving with it, you do better in multiplayer, most people are to concerned with winning that they push the car too much and they over drive the car, (good thing) if they take under steer out it could be like 2011 again with the fact that they could break at the very last second, and some how make an un realistic turn.

However you look at it, the current level of understeer in the game is too much and you can't dial it out. The complete lack of oversteer also doesn't help. Steve Hood confirmed the understeer problem (more or less) and that it will be fixed in a patch so fingers crossed they also make the back end a lot more loose.

I am hoping that when you mean that the back end should be more loose, you are talking about low speed corners and hairpins? Squirrelling and oversteer when under too much acceleration coming out of the corners.

As CM purposely made the back end stick more in high speed corners to reflect the down force involved at speed. There is no way I could open my DRS @ 130R or Blanchimont last year, but you can now, as they do in the real world.

I hope they just fix grip levels off racing line, not the way car handles. It handles just fine now in my opinion.

Gnu, actually I'm talking about all types of corners. Because even with the lowest rear wing you still get way too much rear traction in high speed corners. Flooring the car when on rear wing level at 1 while going through say the high speed section at Barcelona in S1 should not be possible.

As for low speed corners, well you get way too much grip even in the wet, flooring the pedal would just cause understeet unless you have a ridiculous amount of lock where you'll get a hint of oversteer. In short, they dumbed down the nervousness of the car.

There is no way I could open my DRS @ 130R or Blanchimont last year, but you can now, as they do in the real world.
It was possible to do it in Blanchimonte if you nailed the apex 100%. Still, you are right about the fact that it wasn't realistic.

Personally, I absolutely love the new physics. It takes a while to figure it out but once you do, it's so much more satisfying. I hope CM doesn't change a thing because the game currently takes so much more skill than F1 2011.

It's not simply understeer. For me turn in is quick and responsive but after turn in forget it. In the middle and exit the car pushes. It's extremely unpleasant. I'm also using a gamepad so it's possible the game was developed specifically for a wheel.

It's not simply understeer. For me turn in is quick and responsive but after turn in forget it. In the middle and exit the car pushes. It's extremely unpleasant. I'm also using a gamepad so it's possible the game was developed specifically for a wheel.

You're probably taking too much speed into a corner or you have setup problems. I also race pad, all assists off. I don't really have any problems.

this made the game playable to me:

2012mod.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back