Unable to host

I am having problems hosting race07. I tried a lot of different setups.

Machine 1:
I tried it using both XP and Vista. I turned the software firewall of just to make sure it was not blocking any ports.

Machine 2:
Tried it with XP also the software firewall was shutdown.

My games keeps appearing with a ping of 5000 meaning that the ports are blocked.

Also notice that hosting rFactor is not working also. I do however manage to forward ports of other applications (bittorrent, remote desktop etc) to the correct computers in the network

Blow are the settings used on my router and "Machine 1":

Attachments

• race07_st1.jpg
    race07_st1.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 273
  • race07_st2.jpg
    race07_st2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 241
  • tcp_settings.jpg
    tcp_settings.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 245
If your hosting an internet server, any other machine on the network (LAN) still have to connect via internet (They go out to come back again). If your othe machine is listing a ping of 5000 then you need to:

A. Check ports are properly routed to your sever
B. Allow the same ports to all machines on the network

Last Resorts:

C: Check for firmware update
D: If possable try a differant router
E: Factory reset router and network and re-enter ports

I originally started this thread and I never got it to work with my ST780(Factory reset, newest firmware). I did get it to work with my ST716. Thing is however I have a problem with my adsl line and the ST716 is dropping the connection like 10x as much as the ST780 and that doe not help the hosting. I even got a disco during last Saturdays race at Zandvoort, using the ST780. Really Annoying. Anyone know a routine on how to check the in house phoneline to see what the quality is.

If you live in the UK:

Find your master BT socket remove cover plate and inside youll find your test socket.

Attach Router via filter to test socket and check your Line Attenuation the lower the number the better.

Unplug any extention phones, extention cables, answer machines or fax (anything except the phone you will use to do the test!).

Plug a normal touch tone phone directly into the BT master socket.

Dial 17070, press option 2 (quiet line test)

You should hear 'Quiet Line Test' and then silence, there should be no pops, clicks, whistles, buzzing etc. If there is noise on the line, make sure it's not your phones connection to the socket (wiggle it about a bit) and that you are using the master socket. If you are sure its the line making the noise then dial BT (or WorldOnline) and report the fault, they should be able to sort it out. Remember that 'mis-reporting' a fault (e.g. if it turns out to be your phone, extention cord etc.) may be charged a call-out fee by BT (/WOL).

Distance From Exchange

Dial the same line test number as the quiet line test (17070). Then press option 3 (fast test) then press option 1 (to say you are authorised, don't worry about 'not being officially authorised'). The press option 2 (ring back test). Then put the phone down.

You will get called back by the test facility within about 10 seconds, one of the bits of information given will be distance from exchange (in kilometres).

*The distance result may not be accurate if you have a 'DACs' fitted. It is not 100% accurate but does serve as a guide.

Thanks for this, if I only lived in the UK ;) But actually I want to test the phone line in my apartment. I live in an apartment building. The phone company is responsible for the line up until the point where it enters my "house". In my case that is just outside of my house inside some compartment. From the the line goes trough the ceiling all the way to the main socket on the other end of my apartment.

If you link at my line info you will see it is very bad. In this case it even trains at a lower downspeed than I should have:

Link Information
spacer.gif
Uptime:0 days, 7:28:29
spacer.gif
Modulation:G.992.1 annex A
spacer.gif
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:512 / 2.720
spacer.gif
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]:896,87 / 1,90
spacer.gif
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12,0 / 18,0
spacer.gif
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:25,5 / 47,0
spacer.gif
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:23,0 / 6,5
spacer.gif
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / BDCM
spacer.gif
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
spacer.gif
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):13 / 0
spacer.gif
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
spacer.gif
Loss of Link (Remote):0
spacer.gif
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):5.507 / 0
spacer.gif
FEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 0
spacer.gif
CRC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 76.995
spacer.gif
HEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 20.028
Hmm maybe I should try and connect the router to the line in the compartment where the it enters my apartment. Probably no power line there...

If you live in the UK:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 245 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years