Ultrawide or Oculus Rift?

Hi All,

So I have a Lenovo Explorer and my IPD is too large so it needs to go. I was really not impressed with the Image quality of the WMR.

Do I purchase an ultrawide or do I try out the Oculus Rift? I have looked for demos locally but cannot find any.

Thanks

The Lenovo Explorer has a higher resolution than the Rift, so I don't think you'll be more satisfied with the image quality. The Samsung Odyssey Plus would be the better option I would have thought?

I have neither but I'm looking to Ultrawide myself. Just hoping to make the right decision as it's a big purchase for me that I can't even make yet...
VR may be something I entertain once it's the norm but right now I've heard too many issues with the current gen and prefer to wait until it's more mainstream.

I have neither but I'm looking to Ultrawide myself. Just hoping to make the right decision as it's a big purchase for me that I can't even make yet...
VR may be something I entertain once it's the norm but right now I've heard too many issues with the current gen and prefer to wait until it's more mainstream.
I have to say that even with the issues VR is the better gaming experience.

I would wait this week or so as I believe the Rift S (the new higher res replacement headset with inside out tracking) is going to be announced during GDC 2019 which is this week. Interested to know the cost of it if this is the case.

I'm happy with the Rift, the experience is very slick even with the low resolution. Factor in the glossy experience you get with Oculus software and its a no brainer over a single Ultrawide.

Personally I run 3x 1080p Ultrawides at 200hz for racing, but that's a whole other story of unnecessary excess...

But don't you need to upgrade the rig to pump out the required graphics to run sims through VR too?
Could this make a fairly large dent in the wallet over an ultrawide monitor maybe?
What are your specs? Anything over a 970 (including) is enough. Sure you might not be abe to run Sol (or you might in really low PP settings and no SS) but for me the tradeoffs are worth it. For the couple of hours you have your headset on, you are a racing driver. No better way to put it. As an example, Automobilista for me is the best sim I own. Honestly love the feel of the cars, it feels super connected in a way Assetto Corsa doesn't. It has been gathering dust since I got VR. I don't really play it because it lacks VR support.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 127 13.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 100 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 94 9.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 67 6.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 134 13.8%