F1 2017 Ultra @1080P or High with DSR?

F1 2017 The Game (Codemasters)
Wondering what people think will give the best image quality with F1 2017 - Ultra settings with 1080p or knock a few settings down a bit and use nvidia DSR?

I have a GTX 970 which is rock solid at 1080p max settings, but higher DSR resolutions might make it struggle a bit so I would need to bump some details down a bit...

Just try what's looking best on your monitor, for your eyes.
In the end it's all the same.
Blurred image = no performance impact like smaa, fxaa, mlaa, taa, whatever

Upsampling + filter = heavy performance impact like msaa, ssaa, ingame supersampling, dsr, vsr, sgssaa, whatever

You always need a combination of higher resolution and a filter. Dsr with smoothing on 50% is the same as dsr, smoothing on 15% and fxaa.

What looks better? It's for you to decide! For me it's all about less flickering/shimmering while in motion! Jaggies while standing still? I don't care :)

What I use when it's available in this order of priority:
- sgssaa forced with inspector
- ssaa forced with inspector
- txaa (+sweetfx sharpening)
- dsr + msaa (or Upsampling ingame + msaa)
- dsr + taa (or Upsampling ingame + taa)
- msaa + fxaa + taa (+sweetfx sharpening)
- dsr + fxaa +taa (+sweetfx sharpening)
- fxaa+taa
- fxaa

Smaa and mlaa I find totally awful! Nice image when standing still and massive Pixel crawling while in motion!

Taa seems to be the future like in battlefield 1!
No performance hit but quite smooth while in motion!

The list above is not a 100%, more like a general order in which I try to get to work. It shuffles depending on what looks better with which game :)

okay, so I don't turn it on in game, I do it from the 3d settings?
Yes, and no. A bit more info around that because when I wanted to activate it the first time I didn't find it!

You open the nvidia control panel and click on 3d settings. Now you have a global profile and a second tab for game specific profiles.
Important: dsr is global, you won't find it at the game specific tab!

In the global tab you scroll down a bit until you find dynamic super resolution (DSR-factor).
You check every number in it (well 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0 look best) and below that you'll find the smoothing. If you want to deactivate fxaa I would recommend something around 30-50. If you want to have it look like normal, you set it to 17.
Below 10 will result in an overly sharped image!

Now comes the fun: the game doesn't know you have enabled dsr. For the game you now have a 4k monitor so you go into the game settings and you'll find a lot of resolutions unlocked to pick from :)
Just go higher until your graphics card can't handle it anymore. 4k always looks best because you have 2 pixels for each pixel of your screen. Vertical and horizontal!

Note: while you can't enable or disable the dsr factors on the fly, you can however select a different smoothing on the fly!

Also another note: sometimes this all gets screwed up (no resolutions visible in game, no options in the nvidia panel etc). Unplug every monitor other than your main one and restart the computer! After everything is set and done you can plug in the other screens again.

Have fun :)

Yes, and no. A bit more info around that because when I wanted to activate it the first time I didn't find it!

You open the nvidia control panel and click on 3d settings. Now you have a global profile and a second tab for game specific profiles.
Important: dsr is global, you won't find it at the game specific tab!

In the global tab you scroll down a bit until you find dynamic super resolution (DSR-factor).
You check every number in it (well 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0 look best) and below that you'll find the smoothing. If you want to deactivate fxaa I would recommend something around 30-50. If you want to have it look like normal, you set it to 17.
Below 10 will result in an overly sharped image!

Now comes the fun: the game doesn't know you have enabled dsr. For the game you now have a 4k monitor so you go into the game settings and you'll find a lot of resolutions unlocked to pick from :)
Just go higher until your graphics card can't handle it anymore. 4k always looks best because you have 2 pixels for each pixel of your screen. Vertical and horizontal!

Note: while you can't enable or disable the dsr factors on the fly, you can however select a different smoothing on the fly!

Also another note: sometimes this all gets screwed up (no resolutions visible in game, no options in the nvidia panel etc). Unplug every monitor other than your main one and restart the computer! After everything is set and done you can plug in the other screens again.

Have fun :)
thanks for the detailed reply, I will try this tomorrow!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 277 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 402 40.0%