UK TV coverage

Hear hear nick. Somebody sensible has spoken.

I have sky sports but at work I don't. My weekends are spent mainly at work. I work harder on Sunday's so I get to sit and watch f1. This is not likely to happen if this goes ahead.

Realistically the radio 5 live commentary in the uk is by far the best available, in fact I would say it's more enjoyable than watching it. The BBC coverage of practice sessions is shown online with r5live commentary team, it's exciting, these people have passion for it.

I like watching races live - repeated and highlights are dull at best.

Sky won't produce anything good with this. I hate their sports coverage, and was due to cancel the sports package.

the best thing that could come from it is a breakaway series as threatened last year. If nobody is going to watch it - sponsors lose interest, teams lose funding and the f1 empire folds. without fans you have nothing.

Let sky waste their money. Let's start Formula A ( for alternative) for the fans. Make it fun, enjoyable, exciting and FAIR.NBA. The Rilke tracks, and let the BBC SHOW IT FOR NOTHING.

The rights are nothing in income terms in the grand scheme of things.

The teams start he series with their money, under their control. Bugger the FIA, and world motorsport council and start from scratch.

Interesting. Kudos to FOTA for trying, but a primetime delay is the best we can hope for I guess. Better than 50% live on BBC and the rest exclusively on Sky I suppose. Looks like the phone hacker will get less money after all. Win.

At least this means the BBC will have enough money for more cookery shows and now they wont have to stop paying their stars like Jonathan Ross 18 million pounds a year, hurrah for the BBC.

Guys! Calm down. I'm sure this is all for the good (but yet again sky trying to rob people of there well earned money). There will still be highlights on BBC. And as I can see you all have internet connection so you can still watch F1. Plus if some of you like going to the pub then go down every saturday and sunday afternoon and watch it. I'm not trying to cause an arguement here guys, I'm just laying my opinion down.

Freedom of speech is encouraged on this forum. People are entitled to their opinions, and people atentitled to challenge those opinions.

what is not encouraged is: inappropriate comments such as personal attacks and insulting other members. This is not tolerated here.

I am out at the moment, but when I get to a PC, I will be dealing with complaints that have been received. And members who are out of order.

This is a subject which most people who like motorsport will be affects by. Let's keep it on topic, and not start personal disputes.

As I said, with this development from Sky, we really need A10 World series to get going. I'm assuming it will be cheaper for BBC to broadcast, especially with the British team. A1 Team GBR was one of the protected franchises that would not have been sold to any other country. It will be something else to watch other than F1.
Good luck F1.

I was reading the newspaper earlier and the deal with Sky is said to be worth £375 million, I guess it priced out Channel 4, they were said to be seriously interested. It also mentioned in the column that BBC actually introduced Sky as potential partner. The column included other sickening comments from Bernie E saying it would be better for fans. WTF?

If BBC do delay the other 10 races, that would be far more acceptable. Like MotoGP on Eurosport (which is delayed one or two hours as BBC have sole rights to the live event) I always wait for it to come on as the BBC coverage poor compared to it. I'd be willing to do the same for BBC depending on the quality of the Sky Sports team (Which I doubt will be anything short of annoying and dull)

We will probably have morons saying things like "Back to the studio" which contains 2 so-called experts who really cannot tell the difference between a tyre and a KERS. During the pre- and post-race shows, we will have sh!* like "Formula One Super Sunday is brought to you by <insert obscure and irrelevant brand here>" followed by a 5 minute ad break.
This whole arrangement stinks of ITV, except without ads during the races.
Brundle is out of contract because of BBC, so he may go to Sky and take DC with him, so we may have a decent commentary team at least. But then what about the BBC races? I know, MURRAY WALKER!!
The BBC pundit team is very respected in the F1 paddock, and can get interviews that no-one else could, such as with Stefano after Hockenheim 2010. We're going to lose that, because BBC will not axe BBC 4 which no-one watches anyway, or one of those pointless talent shows.

We will probably have morons saying things like "Back to the studio" which contains 2 so-called experts who really cannot tell the difference between a tyre and a KERS. During the pre- and post-race shows, we will have sh!* like "Formula One Super Sunday is brought to you by <insert obscure and irrelevant brand here>" followed by a 5 minute ad break.
This whole arrangement stinks of ITV, except without ads during the races.
Brundle is out of contract because of BBC, so he may go to Sky and take DC with him, so we may have a decent commentary team at least. But then what about the BBC races? I know, MURRAY WALKER!!
The BBC pundit team is very respected in the F1 paddock, and can get interviews that no-one else could, such as with Stefano after Hockenheim 2010. We're going to lose that, because BBC will not axe BBC 4 which no-one watches anyway, or one of those pointless talent shows.

Couldn't have put it better mate, well said!

i suspect that if the BBC were to show delayed coverage that it would end up on the red button which you could access when the highlights are on. I am very sceptical about how sky will present the whole show as i do love the coverage that the beeb gives (its one of the few programs that i actually watch on their channels and can count the rest on 1 hand). will have to wait and see what happens but suspect that this deal will also impact on how the BBC presents their show to us, therefore moving the whole thing into a new era which could be great, or a big almighty flop.
Also what is going to happen in other countrys? as i get it at the moment any english speaking country at the moment get the BBC comentary.
Hope this makes some kind of sense as suffering abit this morning from last nights over indulgence:beer:

Just watching Jenson and Lewis V Brundle and Coulthard in a pit stop competition. Sky will never have this sort of relationship with the teams and drivers. Heartbreaking

People are quick to point the finger at Ecclestone and SKYbut its the BBC who have let F1 fans down, and sports fans in general. Theyhave lost more and more sports coverage over the last few years while theyspend our license fee on more reality TV tosh and chat shows with hosts onridiculous sums of money. Channel 4 apparently offered the same money as Skybut Channel 4 would have run with adverts whereas Sky have far more resourcesto throw at coverage and their sports presentation is far superior in myopinion. When Sky last showed F1 live they asked for a subscription on top ofthe Sky sports package subscription. I refused to pay and continued to watch onITV despite the far inferior coverage. I paid for the last three races when Skyran a deal to try and temp people in and I wish I had paid for it right fromthe start. In my opinion the presentation was slick and better in fact than theoften infantile efforts by the BBC team.
Damon Hill (who interestingly is standing down as President of the BRDC so would be free to work for a channel like Sky) was one of the studio team when I watched it andhis views were largely unbiased even when dealing with his old rivalSchumacher. ITV and BBC may as well be called 'The Lewis Hamilton Show' as evenwhen he's not in the race they will rabbit on about how he would have done ifthis that or the other had not happened. Eddie Jordan is a joke; he is oftencrass, sycophantic and puerile. He often goes out of his way to criticiseSchumacher and you can’t help but wonder if he’s still so very bitter at losinghim to Benetton. Jordan were an ‘also ran’ team but to listen to Jordan and therest of the lick-spittle BBC crew you’d think Jordan was some kind of F1 teammanagement genius. Coulthard and Brundle are the only two worth salvaging in myopinion, Coulthard more than Brundle who often comes across as a narrow minded ‘littleEnglander’ with some of his comments regarding other nations which is surprisingfor a man so well-travelled. The BBCcoverage is the same pantomime as ITV, any team that’s not got any tenuous linktoo the UK such as Ferrari are portrayed as being some kind of pantomimevillain.
Sky’s F1 coverage in 2002 offered interactive menu’s toselect whatever driver cam’s you wanted or alternate commentary. Sky will advertisethe hell out of F1 as they do with all their sports across their full range ofchannels. With 4 dedicated sports channels and HD you will never find coverageof F1 being shortened to make way for Eastenders, Coronation Street or AntiquesRoadshow, Sky just know how to do sports coverage so choosing them over Channel4 seems quite a logical choice. The BBC has wasted far too much money on themove to Manchester when they already had their entire infrastructure in placein London, it’s a complete folly to move and even many of their own staff areagainst the move. Ecclestone reacted to a situation that had to be resolved, he’snot taken anything from the BBC, the BBC lost it all by their selves.

TBH the adverts on ITV never bothered me. I don't 'like' them but to me its far more important that a) I could watch all the races and qualy's live, b) There was a decent pre/post race with informed presenters.

I wonder how meny GP's you could go to for the £600?

Some interesting points however even though i love F1 £30 per race is a total insaine joke. I will not pay £30 per race to watch it not cause i cannot afford it but because i think its a disgrace to ask for such money. I watched the 24 hours of le mans for under £5 now compared to F1 next year thats a joke.

Now if you were to only watch Sky thats £30 but if you prefered BBC then it makes each race you have to watch on sky £60. If anyone thinks thats an ok figure then i want your bank account not mine. Its the principle of the whole thing that is wrong. Sky wanted it to do what they had done with football in this country and have it all so the audience is captive and has to pay. But if your a football fan id say you get a damn sight more for your money than any F1 fan would.
I am not against anyone paying it thats for exh individual to decide but personaly for me i would rather save my money and got o a couple of touring car events and the british GP with the money.

Fully agree with Kevin, sums it up beutifully. Providing Sky can make an unbiased show that doesn't feel the need to mention Hamilton every minute, i'll pay whatever it costs! :p

Tbf though Sky do do sports well. Cricket is a good example - When it went from Channel Four to Sky, Sky took the succesful team from Four and improved it, with extra graphics, nicer studios and jsut a general slicker show. For me it all comes down to Sky's budget. I beilive they'll do F1 well.

My only concern is not for how good Sky's show will be, but how this will damage F1. Even from this thread people are anoyed @ the move, F1 Audiences will drop, which will mean even more spending cuts in F1 are needed which we've already seen teams strugle to do too well.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 263 13.6%