UK Channel 4 To Broadcast WEC Highlights

C4.png

Good news for WEC fans in the UK, off the back of Channel 4's venture into the world of high-end motorsport coverage in the form of a trimmed Formula One package it appears that the broadcaster has gained the rights to show highlights of all WEC events with immediate effect.

According to F1 Broadcasting's twitter, the United Kingdom's Channel 4 will begin covering WEC from the June 11 with the opening episode airing from Silverstone; presented by Lee McKenzie, John Hindhaugh and Mark Webber. Whilst official confirmation from either Channel 4 or the WEC is yet to appear, F1 Broadcasting has proven to be a reliable source in the past.

The news is certainly a huge sign of the impact the WEC has had on the racing world since it's inception in 2012, with this highlights deal marking the first time endurance racing has been broadcasting on a major network in the UK.

Meanwhile with Le Mans just on the racing horizon the deal could not have come at a better time for a series which is quickly rising within the microcosm of motorsport.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! If they keep the contract, then the WEC and BTCC will be free to air on UK channels but not F1. And the FIA and Bernie want everyone to watch F1...

Nice! If they keep the contract, then the WEC and BTCC will be free to air on UK channels but not F1. And the FIA and Bernie want everyone to watch F1...
This would actually put the WEC at the same level of coverage as F1 since it would just be highlights, and F1 is still free to watch in the UK since we can watch some live races and the rest as highlight format.

This would actually put the WEC at the same level of coverage as F1 since it would just be highlights, and F1 is still free to watch in the UK since we can watch some live races and the rest as highlight format.

I think he was talking about the situation from 2019 onwards when supposedly there will be no free to air F1 coverage in the UK at all.

I think he was talking about the situation from 2019 onwards when supposedly there will be no free to air F1 coverage in the UK at all.
Yeah there's nothing in place yet and given their operating methods regarding other sports I can't see a situation where Sky won't pay the extra money to make it exclusive.

It's still entirely possible, maybe even likely, that someone will then broker a deal with Sky directly for a free-to-air highlights only package in a similar way to what Channel 5 and ITV have both bone in the past for things like international cricket.

This is great for the WEC, I think with the signing of some F1 names it's generated interest in the series. Also helps small teams get more sponsorship for TV coverage, etc.

The crowd figures certainly increased at Silverstone in the last few years because of Mark Webber, Porsche coming back, etc.

Even though the project was a failure the Nissan LMP1 program I think generated a lot of publicity as well.

I won't be watching the highlights personally because I like to enjoy the entire races during the day (strategy, teams battling to keep cars running are all part of it for me) but a terrestrial TV company can't show races of that length, it will bore most viewers as they are used to short F1 races.

I know some that are totally confused about the class structure as well so hopefully Ch4 will help bring in more viewers to this side of the sport. Well done Ch4 :thumbsup:

That must be why GTWorld (the YouTube channel) just deleted their full coverage videos of the Spa 6 hour race. I'm not sure if this is such a good thing. If Ch4 are only going to show highlights we lose the ability to see the whole thing on YT. :(

GTWorld is the Blancpain channel not the WEC which is FIAWEC. You are probably right though because the people at C4 will want to stop any streams in the UK to maximize their viewer numbers, but I am sure we can find another stream anyway.

The DTM livestreams on YT are blocked in the UK so as Andrew says it's BT Sport, looking for dodgy streams or using a VPN.

GTWorld is the Blancpain channel not the WEC which is FIAWEC. You are probably right though because the people at C4 will want to stop any streams in the UK to maximize their viewer numbers, but I am sure we can find another stream anyway.

The DTM livestreams on YT are blocked in the UK so as Andrew says it's BT Sport, looking for dodgy streams or using a VPN.

Nope it was definitely this Spa 6 hours: http://www.fiawec.com/races/6-hours-of-spa-francorchamps.html

The Blancpain doesn't go there until 5th July.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 274 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 400 40.0%