UE4 Crashing

Hi,

I seem to get this crash fairly regular. Game crashes with a message about UE4 crashed, stopped or error (can't remember exactly). It can happen mid race or just at the end.

I never used to get problems with ACC. Has something changed, do others notice more crashing?

I recently upgraded from an RX580 to an RTX 3080. I wonder if that's causing the issue. I could try downclocking the GPU?

I tried downclocking my 3080 by -100Hz on core but no better.

I tried not running Afterburner on Windows Startup. Still no joy.

I uninstalled ACC including removing everything in documents folder for acc and steam. Just re-installed as new. I will test later.

Update.

As I said before, I uninstalled ACC and deleted the ACC folder in MyDocuments then re-installed.

I had to start again with video settings exactly as before and selecting wheel profile (picked preset profile first then customised).

Ran a few 10 minute AI races and one MP session (practice, qualify and 25 min race) and seemed OK, no crash.

Not getting too excited at the moment, I'll give it some more time before passing judgement.

I do have an integrated gpu on my cpu which I use for a second monitor (main monitor on main GPU at 240Hz and 2nd monitor on integrated gpu running at 60Hz). I did disable the 2nd monitor previously (disabled in Windows but not disabled in bios) but it didn't stop the crashing. It's still disabled in Windows.

I noticed a few freezes in my last AI race last night but I had just rebooted and I think COD Warzone was updating. Why have I got that stupid game installed that I never play? Note to self, delete Warzone.

During all this I've been shutting down all the programs I don't need when running ACC (battlenet, epic etc.).

As I get more confident with the stability, I will think about enabling the 2nd screen again and leaving the other game clients running.

I wonder if issues can come about with corrupt user configuration files in relation to controllers and by deleting everything you start with a good set of working configs?

If the problem re-surfaces I will give it a damn good formatting and a clean install and see how it likes that :mad:

I've had similar crashes both in ACC and AMS2 in VR (Tbh, the main titles I play, so I could have had crashes in other games, I'm not sure).
I tried several things, including re-installing the games etc but ended up with a fresh windows install + dirvers + games.
Everything is running smooth now.

In fact, the main lesson I learned is: if your desktop is dedicated to sim racing, re-install everything once in while, We all know that the games we play are quite demanding, so from time to time it's a good idea just to dust off the system and start from zero.

Had real problems with ACC last night. There was an update I think but I didn't see it download.

It would crash on startup. I verified local files and it then downloaded one file sized around 470Mb. Still crashed on startup everytime.

I tried deleting all of mydocuments folder for ACC but still no joy.

I will try an uninstall / re-install again but I'm close to just going for a clean install. I'm also thinking about dual booting to see if that could help me going forward.

Had real problems with ACC last night. There was an update I think but I didn't see it download.

It would crash on startup. I verified local files and it then downloaded one file sized around 470Mb. Still crashed on startup everytime.

I tried deleting all of mydocuments folder for ACC but still no joy.

I will try an uninstall / re-install again but I'm close to just going for a clean install. I'm also thinking about dual booting to see if that could help me going forward.
Could you point out the pros of a dual booting?

Fatal Error File unknown line 198. Unreal engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. my game keeps crashing i dont have an overclock on and i dont run on full graphics i run on medium and i have a 2060 rtx

So, yeah... I thought the CTD were gone but.. no. I'm still experiencing CTD / Erros in AMS2 ( I might have the same issue with ACC, but didn´t test it properly yet, since the fresh install)

For testing purposes, I just did a 45 min race agaisnt the AI. Somewhere around the 30 m mark, I got a CTD. I've monitored my temps and everything is okay ( CPU averaging 73º C with one-min interval spikes of 83 / 84º C. GPU running at 66º Celcius).

The bug report mentioned some files in Appdata/local/temp but I think it's just the location of the report doc.
I've looked at the crash file but I'm not savvy enough to see anything that could help me find the culprit.

So, yeah, I'm clueless.

EDIT: I just noticed this is a UE4 thread, where I first stated my CTD in ACC. By then, I had CTDs on both titles. I might still behaving the same issue with ACC, as I said before.

Once I do a proper test in ACC, i'll reportthe outcome here.

Last edited:
I am having the same crashing issue when i launch the game. Worked fine until yesterday, and the today i am completely unable to start the game, it crashes at startup every time. I tried most of the solutions that you find searching around, but nothing seems to work, PS: brand new PC built two weeks ago, used only for sim racing, only ACC

• Deleted member 197115

I had UE4 crashing issue a few updates back, nothing worked except full reinstall of ACC with its Steam and Documents folders removal. Looks like when some files get corrupted, Steam integrity check cannot properly recover.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like I made progress at the weekend.

I was able to play against AI for two half hour races back to back with no crash.

I formatted C drive and re-installed Windows. I have just installed drivers and ACC, not even Fanalab.

I have an MSI Gaming X Trio RTX3080 and I was running the quiet firmware. I re-flashed with the alternative firmware that runs cooler but noisier. I increased the case fans to 50% and changed the AIO mode to balanced from quiet.

I'm thinking it's GPU related as I did get an error a little while back mentioning a D3D device failure which came up when ACC crashed. I'm wondering if I have a GPU issue or if I need to downclock a bit?

The only problem is I did get another crash at the end of yesterday. I purchased the British DLC last thing. I'm wondering if this caused an issue and I need to wipe / download the whole game again.

So, on my end, I've doing some trial and error and.. today I did a 30m race 'till the end. No CTD!
What have I changed? I did not use the rift sound, but instead my headphones.

I ran this test because I searched a bit more and found this error in the Dxdiag, regarding the Oculus audio driver:

"The file OCULUS119B.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL).
You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer."

So I tried with no audio coming from the Rift and, voilá!

I'll do some more testing with this solution ( including in AMS2m where I'm also experiencing CTDs)

Guess I have an audio driver issue...

Last edited:
I thought I had stability after format / install ACC. I had even turned up the fans in the case and forced the GPU fan to 70% (GPU temp maxed at 65 degrees C), but as I said, I had one crash on Sunday night after about 3 hours total racing against AI on and off through the day. Longest race was 30 mins. My crash was after I purchased the British DLC so it 'might' be related to some corrupt download? Clutching at straws here.

Yesterday I reset BIOS to 'Optimised Defaults' and then re-applied RAM XMP to 3200 (manufacturer's RAM spec.). I was running the CPU 5ghz all cores no stepping and RAM at 3600 which has never caused a problem before. So now it's running at 4.7Ghz all cores with stepping enabled so it should throttle back when not under load reducing temps.

Basically no overclocks applied as I have read somewhere that RAM overclock 'may' cause issue with UE4 engine. I just think when you get these stability issues you have to revert back everything to stock just for the purpose of elimination. Once stability is confirmed there might room to start OC'ing again although I did a quick run on F1 2020 last night and you wouldn't know the difference in reality between stock and OC I think.

Last night's testing:

I ran Cinebench R20 for 30 minutes, CPU temp. only hit 72 degrees C, no issues.
I ran memtest over night and ran all four test passes, no errors.
I did a 30 minute run on Furmark and GPU was fine, no errors, GPU temps hit 69 degrees C
I ran Firestrike and TimeSpy benchmarks no errors or glitches, both results show my score bang on average score for my setup.

I think I will try a bit longer testing on GPU tonight, perhaps longer Furmark test (only good for power / heat performance not Direct X), or looping Heaven (only DX11 I think).

Does anyone know of a good UE4 benchmark tool that could run continuous heavy load?

I uninstalled ACC, deleted documents folder and AppData\local\AC2 folder. Re-installed ACC. Not run it yet.

If after I prove all this stability and I still get ACC crash then I guess my next step would be downclock GPU or RAM further?

Perhaps I need to roll back the Nvidia driver, the trouble is I have an RTX 3080 so not too many versions I can go back to! I was having the same issue with the previous driver so the one before might be the way to go. Might have been the second one available!

Oh yeah, I forgot, I also dropped my monitor refresh down to 120Hz form 240hz. I don't run vsync or frame rate limit anyway as ACC only manages about 110 fps most of the time but I do have GSync enabled in Nvidia CP. That would be another thing to turn off I suppose to eliminate?

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 109 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 286 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing