F1 2013 Tyre Wear: tips and hints

F1 2013 The Game (Codemasters)
I open this thread to talk about tyre wear, how drive to reduce it and get the maximum performance from the tyres.
I want to share my experience with the idea to open an interesting discussion each others.

I play in Legend, with Traction control ON and automatic gears.
I have already did 2 races 100%:

maxresdefault.jpg
Silverstone
Mercedes - Hamilton, Sunny.
Starting with Medium set of tyres from the 3rd place I fight really hard with Vettel to gain the first position and after 8 laps I get it. At lap 13 (3 laps before the teoretical stop) I have to pit for a new set of Hard. No problems with Hard compound, Grojean goes fast and I'm in P2. At lap 35 I pit for Medium tyres (17 laps to go) but after 10 laps I have no more grip..losing position and finish 6th.
Learned lesson: harder compound offers better performance for more time.

433819796_640.jpg
Melboune
Ferrari - Alonso, Sunny (light rain from lap 52)
Starting 4th with SuperSoft tyres. Amazing start: P1 at turn 3, good manage of tyres and I have my first stop at lap 11 on Medium. I win the race with only +0.2 seconds of gap between Rosberg in a fantastic final of the race...stopping 3 times: lap 11,26,41 for Medium compound but I had more performance than in Silverstone and less tyre wear.

Write here your impressions and tips, posting photos and graphics.
This year F1 2013 is really well done, I really love it.
Have a good day :)

Last edited:
want to last tyres longer?
just being slower lol
short shifting esp on first engaged gears in order to spin less, reduce hard braking in order to avoid locking up tyres, being gentle with your car, do not leaves out the main trajectory
there is no secret
i m currently racing 100% on Interlagos with no aids, manual gears
fortunately i m not being chased by followers, i have good margin about 5 seconds but also 3/4 seconds from guys ahead of me
their times are pretty close to me and they r running with same tyres as mine
while first pit stop coming pretty soon, they became faster and faster
at the meantime, i started to suffer with my tyres
so i set several objectives to keep tyres
- being slower from 0.8 sec - 1 sec not more because you r going to lose your own pace
- short shifting and braking gradually, watch out about the braking distance because you ll need longer braking distance
- only use DRS for latest engaged gears, if you use for the first gears you will wear your tyres more quickly

main issue its how to be slower and not risk to be hunted by others and not lose time much
but hey its F1, that why i love F1, there is not ideal situation you got plenty of strategies depending of each situation that you can meet

I'm playing the career mode in F1 2013 and just wondering how I stop them putting worn tyres on the car at the start of the race as I have made sure I have 2 sets of green option tyres and a set of green prime tyres after practice and qualifying sessions

I'm playing the career mode in F1 2013 and just wondering how I stop them putting worn tyres on the car at the start of the race as I have made sure I have 2 sets of green option tyres and a set of green prime tyres after practice and qualifying sessions
If you qualified in the top ten then it's correct that you get used tyres to start the race because you have to start on the tyres that you qualified on. If you want fresh tyres you have to either start outside the top ten or don't run a quali lap in the final session.

If you qualified in the top ten then it's correct that you get used tyres to start the race because you have to start on the tyres that you qualified on. If you want fresh tyres you have to either start outside the top ten or don't run a quali lap in the final session.

I just started career mode in F1 2013 doing 15 laps in Melbourne, and I only just found out about the tires after doing some great laps in Q1 & Q2 coming first, then for some reason everyone really put in some blinders in Q3 and my time was not as good as in Q1 / Q2, so I got relegated to 7th in the Toro Rosso.

I could only get 4 laps out of my starting tires before they lost their grip and pitted, I got up to 3rd place after everyone pitted, but on the last lap I couldn't hold Webber off as my tires lost their grip again, and I struggled to keep in front till the turn and he passed me so I was 4th.

I was using a recommended qualifying setup but after reading this it's a mistake because of extreme tire wear. I have since changed to a much more "docile" setup and I am very competitive in the second race practice. So I will only use the qualifying tires for one flying lap each and a better setup so hopefully I can get on the podium.

There is a lot more to this game that meets the eye.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 429 16.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 286 11.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 280 10.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 194 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 328 12.8%