F1 2011 Tyre Management advice

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
Hi, I would like have some tyre management tips. Ive decided to to play 100% race distance in career mode. I always fall short of 2 or 3 laps before i arrive to the pitstop window and I've lost 3 places in 2 races in a row because of poor tyre management. Also, I would like to know if driving on the kerbs all the time eats up the tyres. And any slight setup changes required for the race from qualifying. Thanks.

Well I also do 100% races in career and I used to eat my tyres up at the start of the season but as im 3/4 through now ive been able to push them 2/3 laps further than the recommended stops.

Only things I can say for sure is spinning up the rears under acceleration and locking up tires wont do you any good. Also continually touching the grass probably doesn't help, I don't know about this one but running off line down straights when you hear all the marbles getting picked up and hitting the car might have an adverse effect too.

My advise would be record a few laps for us to see and im sure a few of us will be able to see if theres anything majorly wrong.

A while back there was a thread about tyre wear, and I remember a few of us starting to think that tyre wear is pretty much scripted regardless of what you do, there may be a couple percent less wear, and a few 'do's and dont's' to bear in mind, but comparing tyre wear on a hot lap, and compared to a very slow lap, there wasnt much difference at all.
Although I guess it all adds up over the course of a 100% race.

Thanks for the advice everybody. Also I forgot to mention that I use TC, Im still learning to drive without the TC. Today Im doing a full race at Turkey. I'll surely experiment about the grass and the marbles thing and also the engine map. I will get back after the race.

Can you post a typical setup?

If you run max camber, toe in and springs/ARBs 11/11 it should in theory eat tyres. We haven't established that in fact yet though. But somehow some guys in our league get worse wear than others.
Be careful not to use tyre hungry TT setups in GP.

No mate, I dont use TT setups at all. I refer RD's setups. I usually run springs around 7/8, camber just a little modification and toe in no modification at all..

Can you post one please?

Car
Williams

Circuit
China

Condition
Dry

Distance
Race distance 100%

Aerodynamics
Front Wing Angle:6
Rear Wing Angle:3

Braking
Balance: F 51% - R 49%
Pressure:High
Brake Size:Standard

Balance
Front Anti-Roll Bar:4
Rear Anti-Roll Bar:10

Suspension
Front Ride Height:2
Rear Ride Height:2
Front Spring Stiffness:6
Rear Spring Stiffness:7

Gearbox
Gear 1: xxx kph / 88 mph
Gear 2: xxx kph / 108 mph
Gear 3: xxx kph / 127 mph
Gear 4: xxx kph / 147 mph
Gear 5: xxx kph / 169 mph
Gear 6: xxx kph / 191 mph
Gear 7: xxx kph / 219 mph

Engine
Fuel Map: Mix 3
Fuel: 6 LAPS

Alignment
Camber Front:-3.30
Camber Rear:-1.20
Toe Front:.09
Toe Rear:.38

I got this from the setups section. Did a few wing modifications thats all..

Car
Williams

Circuit
China

Condition
Dry

Distance
Race distance 100%

Aerodynamics
Front Wing Angle:6
Rear Wing Angle:3

Braking
Balance: F 51% - R 49%
Pressure:High
Brake Size:Standard

Balance
Front Anti-Roll Bar:4
Rear Anti-Roll Bar:10

Suspension
Front Ride Height:2
Rear Ride Height:2
Front Spring Stiffness:6
Rear Spring Stiffness:7

Gearbox
Gear 1: xxx kph / 88 mph
Gear 2: xxx kph / 108 mph
Gear 3: xxx kph / 127 mph
Gear 4: xxx kph / 147 mph
Gear 5: xxx kph / 169 mph
Gear 6: xxx kph / 191 mph
Gear 7: xxx kph / 219 mph

Engine
Fuel Map: Mix 3
Fuel: 6 LAPS

Alignment
Camber Front:-3.30
Camber Rear:-1.20
Toe Front:.09
Toe Rear:.38

I got this from the setups section. Did a few wing modifications thats all..

Thanks

The couple of funny things going on there is that the ARBs are setup to give you understeer and the Aero (and springs) to give you oversteer.
The very low rear wing could cause excessive rear tyre wear esp with high ARB setting and higher spring setting and toe in at rear.
The car is setup stiffer at the rear, with camber and toe in but with almost no wing there.
Suggest wing at rear 1 click more than front. or more importantly front 1 click less than rear. (rear is the business end)
So try aero 4/5 say or 5/6.
ARB 6/9
Springs 7/5
Maybe rear camber to 1.10 too.
It almost looks like aero is being used to try to get low speed turn in.
Try toe increased to .012 it will turn in fine w/out the excessive higher front wing balance.
decrease rear toe to .035.

Se how that goes

Thanks

The couple of funny things going on there is that the ARBs are setup to give you understeer and the Aero (and springs) to give you oversteer.
The very low rear wing could cause excessive rear tyre wear esp with high ARB setting and higher spring setting and toe in at rear.
The car is setup stiffer at the rear, with camber and toe in but with almost no wing there.
Suggest wing at rear 1 click more than front. or more importantly front 1 click less than rear. (rear is the business end)
ARB 6/9
Springs 7/5
Try toe increased to .012 it will turn in fine w/out the excessive higher front wing balance.

Se how that goes
Thanks, I will do these changes in the setup and try a long stint now. Thanks once again.

Thanks

ARB 6/9
Springs 7/5

Se how that goes
Hello. I modified the setup as you mentioned. Yes, I was able to do the long runs quite comfortably now. I could push on with the primes for 1 or 2 laps more. Thank you very much for the advice :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back