Tyre compounds

At 20º ambient temp, medium tyres are useless since they can't reach optimum temperature doesn't matter how hard you push.

And at 36º ambient temp, soft tyres are useless since they overheat doesn't matter how smooth you drive.

Is the ambient temperature the only parameter real teams use to choose which tyre they will use?

Because in this game, it seems to be the only parameter.

Is the temperature difference between soft and medium tyres realistic in this sim?

I tought the main difference between compounds were the duration of the tyres, and not temperatures.

And that real teams took the race length as the main parameter.

Last edited:
The softness of a tyre is proportional to it
ability to bind into the road surface, attaching itself
and creating stiction.
When road temperatures gets too high, the tyre soon
over heats , causing the tyres to fail to grip 100%.
The softness of grip induces high wear in the already thin rubber surface of the tyre.
So the two main factor become road surface temps
and survive ability of the compound.
Because you only have a choice of two compounds
usually. Trying to get it right is difficult or impossible.
To sum up , AC does a fair job of reproducing this
pretty accurately.

If this is wrong, then someone will surely point
out my errors and with the consequence of me
also learning something.
I’m old school, things have changed a lot in tyre technology in the past 30 years.

There are a number of actions
you can use
to enhance tyre temperatures in either direction.
But the software does seem to inhibit you from
doing this in excess, when experimenting.:)

I mean, in F1 for example, i always heard they use soft tyres for qualifying because it provides more grip and they don't need it to be durable in a qualifiying. But, in a 36º summer day, according to assetto corsa the soft tyres overheats very fast after few corners. At the middle of the first lap they are completely red.

Do F1 teams use soft tyres for qualifying in a 36º day?

Also

In a 50 laps race, lets suposse a soft tyre has a durability of 15 laps.

The ambient temperature is 20 degrees. Medium tyres doesn't reach the optimum temperature.

What they do then? Do they use a soft compound to reach the optimum temperatures altough they do more pitstops because of its lesser durability.

Or do they use a medium compound which doesn't reach the optimum temperatures but has more durability resulting in less pitstops?

Last edited:
Overheated tyres during a Q lap does happens in F1, more often than you think.

Regardless, you are right. The tyres in AC are too sensitive to ambient temperatures and not enough sensitive to driving style and setup. It has been much improved in ACC.

In AC, choose the compound that works with the ambient temps. You have no other choice really.

Little addition: it's not always about optimum temperature. Cold tyres still have grip and to run on blue tyres with tyres that are meant to last really long is totally normal. The Mazda mx-5 cup for example.
AC for sure is quite a bit off but to wrap the mind around this: imagine it more like the ultrasoft in F1 is at optimum but also borderline to red while the soft tyre for the race is more or less blue the whole time. If you bring a medium tyre up to optimum temperature it won't last as long as you'd expect.

It doesn't change the fact that ac is wrong though.

They use what they are provided with, the days are gone when an F1 team was attached to
a tyre manufacturer.
The disciplin i was attached to, used super softs slicks, without warming blankets, so the slick had
to work straight away. Providing a lot stiction immediately , but with no warning of its transition
from stiction to friction especially with the cars low weight and low centre of gravity.
Trying to get your tyres to work lap after lap is very difficult, as AC shows quite clearly.
It is not the 36 degree day temp but the track temperature thats important. The day time temperature
is an indicator for the track temps.
There is not that much difference in grip between tyre compounds when they are at their optimum
grip levels, the main reason behind compounds is the ease at which it is achieved. But always with
consequences. The performance of a soft is superior to harder compounds. Most of the time gains
in F1 come from low fuel weight and engine boosting and probably lots of other things i am not
aware off.

I still want to know if F1 teams uses ultra soft compounds for qualifiying(which is for what they were designed) in a 36º+ day, can't find this info anywhere. If they do, it means it doesn't overheat that fast under those conditions, therefore AC is completely wrong.

Last edited:
They do not always use the softest compound tyre for qualifying, as far as i am aware today ,
if thats what you are referring too, this is not the same as yesteryear. Years ago super soft meant one
lap with the car and driver in the most advantages conditions. Now they can quite often run the softest compound for many laps with a lighter car and sometimes not.
Do not be so obsessed with temperature it is not the same as track temperature.
Years ago qualifying cars were quite literally fully set up in every conceivable way for that one flying lap.
Then completely revamped for the race the next day.
AC is not completly wrong, you are accessing it in an environment with limited resources.

I clearly remember not being able to complete a lap without overheating the soft tyres with 36º ambient temp. But now i tested it again and i could do it, as long as i don't slide it doesn't overheat that much, it might be a previous version of the game...

Which car, track etc are you referring to btw?
Now i tested it at Paul Ricard and Imola with the AMG GT3, it seems to be fixed, as long as you don't slide the car it doesn't overheat that much, it stays between green and orange.

It used to stay red all the time doesn't matter how smooth you drive.

I still don't know if it is realistic, but it is clearly overheating much less than before.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 111 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 288 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing