Two FFB issues.

Hi, there~
I need your suggestions about two FFB issues.

(1)
I take FFB settings fot G27 in COPA PETROBRAS DE MARCAS to rfactor(Controller.ini) and GTR2(username.PLR).
In rfactor, this setting is great, it gives me lots of information.
But in GTR2, the FFB responses in GTR2 seem more "silent" compared to rfactor, even I use the same car mod.
Do you know why?
Anyway to make GTR2's FFB as rich as rfactor?

(2)
GTR2 does not have FFB vibration while I drive over brick roads, but rfactor does.
You can test this on the track Lienz or Neurberg Village.
In rfactor, FFB will tell you the brick road is bumpy, but GTR2's FFB say nothing on brick road.
What makes this difference? My FFB setting? The GTR2 track moder remove the bump FFB information for the brick road? or GTR2 doesn't support FFB effect for the bumpy brick road?
Anyway to enable this FFB effect on brick road in GTR2?

Thank you so much~

Last edited:
(1)
I take FFB settings fot G27 in COPA PETROBRAS DE MARCAS to rfactor(Controller.ini) and GTR2(username.PLR).
In rfactor, this setting is great, it gives me lots of information.
But in GTR2, the FFB responses in GTR2 seem more "silent" compared to rfactor, even I use the same car mod.
Do you know why?
Anyway to make GTR2's FFB as rich as rfactor?

Change PLR FFB steer force output max="1.80000" to 0.95.

It won't make it as "rich" as rFactor, GTR2 just isn't capable of that because it's so old, but it will be a huge difference from stock GTR2.

For context, what that parameter at 1.8 does is apply 80% more weight to steering forces than are 'really' actually present and that results in swamping out road feel. There's not a lot of road feel in GTR2 so I find 0.95 leaves 5% head room and does a decent job of achieving good results for both steering forces and road feel. The default value at 1.8 is absolutely ridiculously damaging to the modern ffb experience but I guess they had to do it to achieve anything on older wheels.

(2)
GTR2 does not have FFB vibration while I drive over brick roads, but rfactor does.
You can test this on the track Lienz or Neurberg Village.
In rfactor, FFB will tell you the brick road is bumpy, but GTR2's FFB say nothing on brick road.
What makes this difference? My FFB setting? The GTR2 track moder remove the bump FFB information for the brick road? or GTR2 doesn't support FFB effect for the bumpy brick road?
Anyway to enable this FFB effect on brick road in GTR2?

Thank you so much~

This is the fault of SimBin who, at the time, didn't believe in high definition ffb meshes for their tracks. That just means they put very little 'road feel' into their tracks.

That said, try the Steer Force Output Max setting and I think you will feel a little bit coming through.

Also, consider tweaking FFB Rumble parameters to feel rumble strips more. Additionally, I recommend enabling some Brake Vibe and a tiny amount of Engine Vibe to give you extra feedback that just adds to the immersive experience. These require at least FFB Effects Level=4, if I recall correctly.

You may be interested in my FFB settings over on my blog:

https://selah.ca/secrets-of-gtr2/#Table_of_Mods_and_Custom_FFB_Files

Good luck!

About FFB PLR, I have tested many settings and I must admit that the more solid combination was found by Shovas so I highly recommend his FFB settings on his blog ;)

Unfortunately the ffb strength/design is built in tracks/mods so if the modder is different then ffb will be different too. Brick road vibration is set in track gmt so try to find another version which may reproduce this feature.

Last edited:
Hi~Shovas:
Your blog is famous for GTR2 players, I visited it from google, and saw it again from Nogrip. There are lots of pratcical and interesting information, it's must read for anyone who want know more about GTR2. But I don't know it's still updating. What a surprise! And thanks for your suggestion, I will tweak my FFB by following guidance on your blog to get more immersive experience.

Hi~GTR233:
Now I guess the brick road in Lienz is just a flat road with brick texture, because the car body had no any vibration while I drove over the brick road. Thanks for your advice, maybe to find another version is the only way.

To answer your 2nd query. Unlike rFactor, GTR2 does not interpret some of the material names the same when it comes to road surfaces and the FFB signals to your wheel.

Example:

In the rFactor version of Lienz, the cobblestone roadways in the town area have the material name of COBL_COBBLE. rFactor sees the COBL material prefix and translates this into a FFB signal (and sound) the same as it does with the RMBL material prefix used for the rumble strips.

GTR2 on the other hand does not understand the COBL material prefix in any way, so any roadway material named that will not translate into any FFB signal and it also causes issues with the roadway surface itself. Roadways in GTR2 have to be named with a material prefix like ROAD. The other material prefixes like GRASS, GRAVEL, etc. are another story.

To make the cobblestone roadway in the GTR2 version of Lienz feel bumpy through FFB you need to open the track in 3DSimEd and change the various cobbled road names of certian lienzsurface_xx.gmt files so they have the material prefix of RMBL. This I have done for drEdOp's Lienz v1.0 GTR2 conversion so PM me.

Last edited:
PM and Conversation is pretty much one in the same here at Race Department.

Don't expect a true cobblestone type of feel through the FFB. It's OK but you have to tune the Rumble Strip FFB settings a little in your PLR file else your wheel will shake pretty bad. Might not be a bad idea to make a new player profile and experiment with the FFB settings.

PM and Conversation is pretty much one in the same here at Race Department.

Don't expect a true cobblestone type of feel through the FFB. It's OK but you have to tune the Rumble Strip FFB settings a little in your PLR file else your wheel will shake pretty bad. Might not be a bad idea to make a new player profile and experiment with the FFB settings.

Hi~Zipdrive:
The modified file you made worked very good. When I drove over the cobble stone road in Lienz, I felt the little vibration from FFB and heard the tire sound "BooLon-BooLon....". You really did a great job, Thank you so much! Maybe you could share this good work for others who want it.

By the way, I found these file worked in Lienz 1.2, too.

Note:
My FFB setting is below, It's comfortable to me:
FFB rumble strip magnitude="0.18000" // How strong the rumble strip rumble is. Range 0.0 to 1.0, 0.0 disables effect.
FFB rumble strip freq mult="0.60000" // Rumble stip frequency multiplier 1.0 = one rumble per wheel rev.
FFB rumble strip wave type="0" // Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.
FFB rumble strip pull factor="-0.50000" // How strongly wheel pulls right/left when running over a rumble strip. Suggested range: -1.5 to 1.5.
FFB rumble strip update thresh="0.07500" // Amount of change required to update rumble strip effct (0.0 - 1.0)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 228 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 157 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 222 14.3%