tv's or monitors

Hi,

In a few months I'd like to go for a triple screen setup.
For monitors the budget is in the range of the 27inch screens
but if I go for tv's I can get more inch for the same money

now I've seen several setups where tv's are used instead of monitors
but I'm not completely convinced by it:
-what about viewing distance?
for tv's they advise 2-3 metres, are monitors less harmful for the eyes or so?
-and what about the sharpness of the image on a tv
is it still doable to spot an enemy in Dayz several 100 metres away?
(racing will get priority but I find this still important)
-and what about the latency in ms with tv's how big is that compared to a 5ms monitor
(or is this sthing completely irrelevant?)

please let your wisdom shine upon this mater :)
thnx in advance

Tim

ha, thanks guys.
And do you think these tv's are also suited for playing a game like arma
where you are watching at small spots in the distance through your scope?
or will tv's let me down here?

Upvote 0
ha, thanks guys.
And do you think these tv's are also suited for playing a game like arma
where you are watching at small spots in the distance through your scope?
or will tv's let me down here?

Tim, I play COD, Battlefield4 occasionally on my 32in 50Mhz with no picture or resolution issues affecting any aiming scoped or not, so I'de say you'll be fine.

I think we have a winner:
http://www.toshiba.eu/television/led/L2/32l2333dg/

Probably gonna buy three of those for my triple screen setup
any thouhts/concerns?

Hmmm, they certainly look the goods mate, cant see any reason why they wouldn't do the job for you :thumbsup: :D

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Easy....a monitor.

- Less input lag, way less. My current monitor feels as good as my old CRT.

- Available in 120 or 144 Hz (99% of TV's that say they are 120, 240, 600 etc. hz are using interpolation, which is fake and is just inserting a copy of the previous real frame, you are still only seeing 60 fps, it's a gimmick, not to mention it adds even more input lag to the already high amount of input lag on TVs).

- Available in 1440P (yes I know, 4K is available for monitors and TVs but too expensive atm, plus requires too much GPU power. Also, i'm assuming that current 4K displays probably have quite a bit more input lag then a good 1080P monitor).

- 2D Lightboost (compatible monitors). If you ever experienced true 120 FPS/Hz and thought that blew you away then that is nothing compared to 2D Lightboost. 2D Lightboost basically gives you the equivalent fluidity and motion clarity of a non-lightboost (regular tv/monitor) at something like 960 FPS/Hz. You will pretty much have a visual-to-brain orgasm, or meltdown lol, once you try it. 2D lightboost can also be used at 100 Hz incase you have troubles getting your FPS around the 120 area. http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/10564-Zero-motion-blur-amazing!!! Thank me later ;)

- Did I mention 2D Lightboost? :) ""Yes, I've finally found the holy grail of gaming in 2D mode on an LCD monitor: zero motion blur! It literally displays motion as good as a CRT and then some".

Go for a proper monitor. TVs are meant for movies, and if that's what you want then that's easy as well. Get one of Panasonic's high-end Plasmas. Panasonic used to only be second in TVs to Pioneer and their Kuro lineup. Pioneer then left the game and sold their technology to Panasonic putting them in an easy first.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ok, that's some useful info too Spinelli, thanks!! :thumbsup:
2D lightboost monitors, I assume they are more expensive?

which would be THE 27inch monitor if you had to choose one?
I'm going triple screen so it will have to be +/- 300 a monitor max

Upvote 0
I was going to say the new ASUS PG278Q. http://hexus.net/tech/news/displays/64509-asus-announces-rog-swift-pg278q-27-inch-gaming-monitor/ FINALLY 1440P AND 120 Hz, combined with a 1 ms refresh rate, and probably extremely low input lag as well (won't know for sure about input lag until 3rd party tests, but the ASUS gaming series monitors are usually at the very top when it comes to minimal input lag).

I thought this was finally the be all end all gaming monitors, HOWEVER, there is a problem...apart from the rip off inflated price of $800 (part of this is because it comes with G-Sync) I just read (although not officially revealed) that it is NOT 3D Vision compatible, this means that you cannot use 2D Lightboost as that requires a monitor that is 3D Vision compatible.

Trust me 2D Lightboost is so amazing. This is from user "DrR1pper" in the RFactor 2 2D Lightboost thread I started, he thought I was maybe over-exaggerating a bit about how amazing 2D Lightboost was, until he bought a 2D Lightboost capable monitor and tried it for himself....
Oh and i've just been driving in spa....this is truly meant for racing before anything else. It adds a whole other meaning to the word realism. You actually feel like your there because the picture is so damn smooth when in motion as it would be irl.

edit 2:

So i've been doing some more driving.....and it's absolutely ****ing subliminal! There is such a great sense of presence in the game that you feel like your actually there and as if time almost feels like it has slowing down giving you more time to think, i'm really not making this **** up or embellishing.

This experience in rf2 alone has sealed the deal for me....i'm keeping the monitor.

sold.248100057_std.jpg

smile.png

oh and i managed to find 0.5s in the corvette on spa having not driven for about a week and being dead dead dead dead tired from the last weeks worth of constant uni work...yet pulled this out the hat. I wasn't even pushing the car that hard i just felt a sense of control that I didn't feel with my old monitor and resultantly did not trust the car around corners as much as i do now (complete trust now). The corners feel so slick and smooth and i have a much more fine-tuned sense for the grip, balance and speed of the car causing my control inputs to naturally be way less aggressive and more minimalist as a result. I don't over react....I don't under react.....just the perfect amount of reacting.....a "mind like water" state of being and presence.

I have to be honest, i did think your reaction and massive bold fonts statements in here about how great this is Spenilli to be ott at the time. But I can completely understand and appreciate where your coming from now.
One more
FYI, i would tell people that upgrading your monitor to one of these is better than any upgrade for your wheel.....seriously. Ofc, if you can afford both...the more power to you.
tongue.png

In BF3, i can run into corners and flick my mouse around without single drop of blur to my vision meaning i spot the enemy first and react quicker....it's no frick'n joke how good and pleased i am with this purchase.

Thank Youuuuuuuuuu guys!

As of a year ago the ASUS VG278H was probably the best 27" 2D Lightboost monitor, the VG278HE and BenQ are good too but the VG278H (non-E) has less crosstalk than the "HE" version and therefore better for 2D Lightboost and/or 3D. However the 1ms monitors are the absolute best for 2D Lightboost, specifically the ASUS VG248QE (what I have) and the almost internally identical BenQ XL2411T but they're 24", also there are some more 2D Lightboost monitors out as it's gotten pretty big the last year or so. I strongly advise you to check the link here for much more information, links, opinions, etc. http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/10564-Zero-motion-blur-amazing!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you so much Spinelli, hadn't heared from the technique before but you made me so curious.
Another investigation awaits! :)

BUT: the monitor you described above: it is 1440p, if I want three of 1440p monitors
my gpu won't cut it (nvideau 780TI), right?

Upvote 0
Hi Leemstradamus,

I will NOT use them as everyday monitors. This will purely be for my gaming rig.
So for racing it should be okay you say, but how about ARMA where you're looking at a few pixels sometimes?

also what's up with the input lag?
I hear very different opinions about it
but also: you can't go higher than 5ms input lag because otherwise you can feel the input lag while racing
and when I check this site:
http://www.displaylag.com
I see that the best input lag of a tv is 26ms :confused:

Sorry I didn't reply, didn't see that this thread was still ongoing in my alerts. If you put a @ like this @Tim Meuris it will tell me you tagged me.

Input lag looks like ghosting most of the time it is how long it takes for your input to be rendered on the screen. As far as screen resolutions go tv's only come in two 720p which is 1280 pixels in columns across the screen and 720 pixel rows up and down the screen. The other being 1920 x 1080 same principle. Note as you go up in resolution it takes considerable hardware to push that many pixels. I'm running three 27" monitors that are 1920 x 1080. For a resolution of 5760 x 1080.

Upvote 0
I was going to say the new ASUS PG278Q. http://hexus.net/tech/news/displays/64509-asus-announces-rog-swift-pg278q-27-inch-gaming-monitor/ FINALLY 1440P AND 120 Hz, combined with a 1 ms refresh rate, and probably extremely low input lag as well (won't know for sure about input lag until 3rd party tests, but the ASUS gaming series monitors are usually at the very top when it comes to minimal input lag).

I thought this was finally the be all end all gaming monitors, HOWEVER, there is a problem...apart from the rip off inflated price of $800 (part of this is because it comes with G-Sync) I just read (although not officially revealed) that it is NOT 3D Vision compatible, this means that you cannot use 2D Lightboost as that requires a monitor that is 3D Vision compatible.

Trust me 2D Lightboost is so amazing. This is from user "DrR1pper" in the RFactor 2 2D Lightboost thread I started, he thought I was maybe over-exaggerating a bit about how amazing 2D Lightboost was, until he bought a 2D Lightboost capable monitor and tried it for himself....One more

As of a year ago the ASUS VG278H was probably the best 27" 2D Lightboost monitor, the VG278HE and BenQ are good too but the VG278H (non-E) has less crosstalk than the "HE" version and therefore better for 2D Lightboost and/or 3D. However the 1ms monitors are the absolute best for 2D Lightboost, specifically the ASUS VG248QE (what I have) and the almost internally identical BenQ XL2411T but they're 24", also there are some more 2D Lightboost monitors out as it's gotten pretty big the last year or so. I strongly advise you to check the link here for much more information, links, opinions, etc. http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/10564-Zero-motion-blur-amazing!!!
I checked out that monitor from Asus and thought it was the holly grail until I read it was a tn panel. No way I would pay that much for that. I'm holding out for 120Hz in IPS.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back