TV for Gaming

Sorry not really about Sim racing, but thought I’d ask anyway.

Son is into his gaming and spends a lot of time playing Fortnite with his mates. He presently has a Samsung 49” curved monitor which he is about to sell, then look to buy a new 48” LG OLED TV, that will also be used as a TV in his room. He‘s really only buying the new TV because his mates have told him it’s the best he can get. So I’m trying to do a little homework and maybe stop him blowing £1.5k when he may get something just as good for half the price. Unfortunately I have no idea when it comes to monitors or TV‘s as I’ve used VR for years and only purchased TV’s for the living room on costs and size:redface:. hopefully other members may be into shooter type games and offer some assistance, or maybe his mates are correct and it is the best one.

Those LG OLED are pretty legit. The downside is that they OLED pixels degrade a cause what is knows as "burn in". It is a known issue and LG and every other OLED company does NOT cover it under warranty. Basically, if you have a static image on the screen for a long period of time, the pixels will degrade and retain that image. This has been going on for years, so they have tried to take steps to mitigate the problem. They shift the image around constantly and have filters you can run to try to "Clean" things up. These help, but it is just the way OLEDs work right now. A few places have been testing and tracking this. Rtings.com has done multiple years with multiple OLED displays in various situations to show the impacts over time. Pretty well done if you ask me.

So, why are these TV/Monitors so popular. Simple, they offer the best picture quality and amazing response times. They are also able to do black levels and dark areas much better then tradition LED since each pixel can actually turn off.

Crap, burn-in is a thing again? Guess that's one more reason I'll not be buying new monitors for awhile. (old enough I have not so fond memories of TVs with Pong burned into the CRT)

Last edited:
Sorry not really about Sim racing, but thought I’d ask anyway.

Son is into his gaming and spends a lot of time playing Fortnite with his mates. He presently has a Samsung 49” curved monitor which he is about to sell, then look to buy a new 48” LG OLED TV, that will also be used as a TV in his room. He‘s really only buying the new TV because his mates have told him it’s the best he can get. So I’m trying to do a little homework and maybe stop him blowing £1.5k when he may get something just as good for half the price. Unfortunately I have no idea when it comes to monitors or TV‘s as I’ve used VR for years and only purchased TV’s for the living room on costs and size:redface:. hopefully other members may be into shooter type games and offer some assistance, or maybe his mates are correct and it is the best one.
In my opinion it's not a great choice.
Tell him that a monitor will most likely have better response times so he'll lose some reaction skills in fortnite.
Also tell him that 48" 16:9 are overwhelming for eyes and brain so it's less easy to keep focused on the opponents and spot them.

Also the wide fov he has now is a great advantage over 16:9 users. He will definitely feel bad when he sees less to the left and right!

Fortnite is no cs:go where you have standard paths that you need to "scan". In cs:go, many play in 4:3 with black bars to keep themselves focused around the cross hair. They scan certain paths with it.
In fortnite, opponents can surprise you from 360° around you so a wide fov is awesome!

Also the LG oled is hyped as f*ck at the moment but tell him that a 29 year old dude that knows stuff and plays counter strike since he's 13 years old advices against it and he should tell his bros that he prefers his perfectly suited monitor over an overhyped TV with burn-in issues while gaming due to HUDs.

Crap, burn-in is a thing again? Guess that's one more reason I'll not be buying new monitors for awhile. (old enough I have not so fond memories of TVs with Pong burned into the CRT)
Only OLED! You won't find a monitor with oled right now as far as I know.. And it's unnecessary really... Having pitch black dark areas isn't a great advantage when being competitive...
Most gaming monitors already have an option to make black more bright and gray so you can see stuff!
Mostly called "dark stabilizer"

Thanks for the great response, unfortunately he sold his 49” monitor today:(. Think the change is more to do with watching TV 60% of the time, versus 40% gaming, hence his reason to change from his wide screen monitor.

OLED burn-in is definitely an issue, but can be minimized if you take some steps to mitigate. The worst thing you can do is have the brightness turned up with static elements on-screen for long periods of time (menu bar, task bar, background graphic, etc.) Obviously, very difficult to do this with a PC, so the key thing is making sure the brightness levels are not maxed. This will go a long way towards preventing the issue. There are also some anti-burn in programs which help fix the problem if it starts to occur.

I have a calibrated LG 65" OLED TV that runs cable news chyrons for 4-5 hours a day along with significant PS4 use and there is no evidence of burn in after 3 years of constant use (even more during 2020).

Something else to consider is the amount of content watched on the PC - OLED's are as good as it gets for movies/tv/etc.

See:

Last edited:
With a 1 millisecond response time and perfect blacks the OLED CX is an excellent choice for gaming. Burn in is way over stated and I have zero issues. I am using a C9 55 inch, last years model and have used it for Iracing since January and it performs better then any monitor I have ever seen, again zero burn in. I liked it so much i got the CX 65 for the living room to do console gaming and TV.

Excellent TV for anything you throw at it, your son chose wisely.

I’m not a competitive gamer by any means - I am far more interested in immersion. So maybe my comment doesn’t apply. But I went in the other direction - I’ve got an LG OLED TV - the picture quality is absolutely stunning. But then I bought the Samsung G9 a couple weeks ago and haven’t gamed on my LG TV since. No way I could go back to 16:9.

Conserning burn in on Oleds this is actually the conclusion from the tests above.
And I guess one of the reasons there have until now been no Oled monitors is exactly because of this issue.
Eventhough the zero delay and top contrast on Oleds would make them ideal as gaming monitors.

Oled Burn in.png

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back