Tutorial - Objects for BTB with Sketchup

B

Biggles1212

• Biggles1212

Hi I've completed a full tutorial that should be comprehensive enough for just about anyone to make objects in Sketchup and use them in BTB for their favorite sim.

I'd appreciate any good suggestions.

It took me a few hours to work all the snags out and there was a lot of great information already here at Race Department.

I've uploaded the tutorial here.

http://forum.racedepartment.com/downloads/btb-library/38/full-objects-sketchup-btb-1805/

If you have any questions post them here or PM me. I'll do my best but I'm no guru at this.

Do enjoy. Thanks

I tried to build some shields for my track like this one.

pnbbuinen.JPG

But how can i put this text on this shield. I tried to import a texture but it didn't fit. Working with 3d text did not work either. It doesn't show up in the game.

When you import a texture with the picture of the sign (should be .png or .jpg - Sketchup does not accept dds) - right click the face you've put it and take "position" Then make adjustments. The face with the texture should be set as group then Sketchup will not cut the texture for parts. (the same way you can right click on group and - "edit group"). Always check how many textures it exports to kmz4 - the number should be exactly like you imported/used. Good way to solve problems like this is do delete unneeded textures from "materials" panel. Even if you delete right textures from there. you can import them again. Sketchup sometimes creates new textures somehow...
I usually use png's which have better quality than jpg and convert them to .dds. Textures are to be replaced when creating xpack - When you add a collada data to the object, the png's will be taken, then switch material to proper dds and that's it. (import dds to xpack, choose original Sketchup's "material0.png" (or what number you have) and then "pick" your dds).

Textures sizes should be in power of 2 (2x2, 4x4, 8x8, 16x16, 32x32, 64x64, 128x128 and so on), then you can of course draw many small pictures of your sign's parts on one texture and then use just this instead of couple small images. This way you will save some place, some kilobytes too :) And you avoid a mess in xpacker. Just position the same texture differently to didfferent faces in Sketchup and voila!

When you import a texture with the picture of the sign (should be .png or .jpg - Sketchup does not accept dds) - right click the face you've put it and take "position" Then make adjustments. The face with the texture should be set as group then Sketchup will not cut the texture for parts. (the same way you can right click on group and - "edit group"). Always check how many textures it exports to kmz4 - the number should be exactly like you imported/used. Good way to solve problems like this is do delete unneeded textures from "materials" panel. Even if you delete right textures from there. you can import them again. Sketchup sometimes creates new textures somehow...
I usually use png's which have better quality than jpg and convert them to .dds. Textures are to be replaced when creating xpack - When you add a collada data to the object, the png's will be taken, then switch material to proper dds and that's it. (import dds to xpack, choose original Sketchup's "material0.png" (or what number you have) and then "pick" your dds).

Maybe i made a mistake somewhere in this proces.
Importing the texture (*.png) into sketchup works, np with that. Then i make adjustments with positioning. Only i did not work with groups.
So i should rename all the individual textures with the village and section names?

Question in regards to kslm's earlier note: "The problem I noticed is trying to export\import a model from the web, even using SU6. Sometimes bits and pieces will scatter all over the place, hundreds of feet in the air..."

There are a few plants, bushes and trees in SU which would be perfect for my Hong Kong based track- but when I import them into my test track after making the xpack they scatter as mentioned above- leaves all over the place.

Can that be corrected in SU or in the xpacker?
Or is that something inherrent with how the sketch was made?

Thanks as always.

@ kohnboy - if you open your xpack in xpacker, select an object and go to "Edit" tab - there you will see on what attitude is your object. You can adjust this - enter a proper numbers and hit "Center Object on Ground".
Strange - for my objects made with Sketchup when I change these numbers (for e.g. trees), the red ball (when some object is selected) in BTB is moved somewhere outside of the center of that object - mostly like 1-2 meters. But it's still on the ground. I think this happens then, since the object in Sketchup is positioned right in the center and at zero attitude... I don't know - try this first.

Attachments

• xpacker.jpg
    xpacker.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 363

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back