Tutorial - Objects for BTB with Sketchup

B

Biggles1212

• Biggles1212

Hi I've completed a full tutorial that should be comprehensive enough for just about anyone to make objects in Sketchup and use them in BTB for their favorite sim.

I'd appreciate any good suggestions.

It took me a few hours to work all the snags out and there was a lot of great information already here at Race Department.

I've uploaded the tutorial here.

http://forum.racedepartment.com/downloads/btb-library/38/full-objects-sketchup-btb-1805/

If you have any questions post them here or PM me. I'll do my best but I'm no guru at this.

Do enjoy. Thanks

Kennett Ylitalo

Of course everything is right you wrote here but i hate low poly tires. Agree that it's too much overdone for tire wall because i use 40 segments... Next time i will reduce it around 20-30 segments. 25 maybe ?

0915597a9a50.jpg

ed94235023e3.jpg

I also have too much details for side wall and i will try to reduce it to. I want to make something like this:

I hit car but i don't notice any FPS drop. Need to try it again with more tires together. Between thanks for response and the advices. Appreciated :)

Last edited:
Sure, the smaller the scene, the more you can get away with. For cinematic, we basically don't use LOD at all but then we don't render at full speed anymore either. For games, you just need to do one or two LOD levels, 8 segments are fine for up to 100m, taking the backside out is easy trick that takes 50% of work away with zero quality loss but doesn't always work. It depends where the bottleneck is going to be, CPU, GPU or between them. Materials are usually easy with tirewalls, there should be only one material ;) That decreases drawcalls sooo much and those are what really matters.

Stack a LOT of them in the test scene. I mean 5 to ten times more than you plan to use.. Try to choke your system, really benchmark how many tires can you put until your PC starts to really struggle (keep eye on PC temperature, this is a stress-test... ). Then you have baseline and making changes to assets gives you direct results; better or worse..

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back