DiRT Rally Tutorial: How to modify Co-Driver callouts

UPDATE: Wwise Sound Tool BETA v.0.9.9

This tutorial shows how to translate the original DiRT Rally Co-Driver callouts into your own language or switch to a different co-driver voice using Wwise Sound Tool by Xaser (v.0.9.9). If you can find out where the notes are called during a stage then you can tweak them as well. This method does not work for countdown and messages callouts. Tested on Windows 10.
  • Create new folder named Original and extract contents of wwise.7z here. Rename Wwise Sound Tool.exe to wst.exe and copy your chosen soundbank to this folder (s_cd_panzerplatte_rally_01_fwd.bnk used as an example). Duplicate the folder and rename it Custom.
  • Open Command Prompt within Original folder and run following commands:
wst.exe extract_all s_cd_panzerplatte_rally_01_fwd.bnk
wst.exe decode_all wem​
  • Using wav files as a reference create or modify your custom calls in your favourite audio editing software, remembering that they have to be exactly the same length as their counterpart originals. If your call is too short, simply add silence at the end. Export to 16-bit PCM and save as .wav in Custom folder.
  • Open Command Prompt within Custom folder and run following commands:
wst.exe encode_all wav
wst.exe pack_all wem s_cd_panzerplatte_rally_01_fwd.bnk​
  • If the process of packing files is unsuccessful then compare all your custom .wem files in Custom folder with original ones extracted from the soundbank in Original folder. All of them have to be the same kB as their counterparts.
  • Replace the original soundbank in your DiRT Rally installation folder with your custom one. If you want to revert back to original calls use a backup or reinstall your language in Steam.
I strongly advise to use French/German/Italian/Spanish version of Route Notes for translation because they contain only the necessary calls as opposed to English version, which uses 4 intonations of the same call. Although translated calls are not as detailed and correct as English notes this simplifies the job as you would have to translate and replace 4 times as many samples as with other languages (the sound files are scattered all around the soundbank and unless someone can read the binary files inside them it is very hard to establish where the calls appear during a stage).

Use at your own risk, however there is no messing with physics so it is safe, I guess ;)

CREDITS:
Xaser - Wwise Sound Tool BETA 0.9.9
versedi - batch processing code (obsolete)
Codemasters - DiRT Rally!

Last edited:
After conversion from wem to wav the filesize is bigger. This is normal because wav is uncompressed format. After conversion from wav to wem the filesize is smaller because the wem file is compressed. This compressed wem file has to be the same size in kB as the original wem from soundbank. If it is different that means the wav file length is different. I open original wav in Audacity then add my custom call as a new track below. I select original track then hold Shift and select custom calls tracks. And then hold Shift and deselect original track. Save selection as...

Hello sorry if I'm a little heavy.

I have the problem but have not located the solution.

modify any wav file if I run the command wwisetool.exe filename.wav encode the program closes.

if i run the .bat THROUGH
for %% f in (* .wav) to encode wwisetool.exe %% f
ren * .wav * .wem
for %% f in (* .wem) which wwisetool.exe pack %% f s_cd_panzerplatte_rally_01_fwd.bnk

the only thing it does is change the file extension to wem not encoded

i exported the file as wav Audacity. 16-bit PCM.

No where you can be the fault

That is why the translator of google, but I use is code copied from your tutorial i is correct for some reason the wav files does not make me wem well, I guess in the end give you the reason, I use win10

Well, you say that the piece of code is correct but it's probably still at fault here, as Palo Samo said.

I use win7 but I recall having this unexpected problem of different software being unable to paste (or save) the code as it is on the first go (Notepad AND Notepad++). They seemed to add some extra characters like ? to the end or something else and to make the batch files work I had to edit the files afterwards. So to cut a short story long: Once you've saved the file as ANSI (in Notepad) or encoded the text as ANSI right from the start (in Notepad++), you should still check the bat file one more time to see if the code really matches the one in here.

Or maybe you've just had a typo while changing the bnk name in the code.

K_perny_felv_tel__42__www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

3rd is this page, first has no wwisetool.exe and the exe that it has doesn't work with your bat code (renamed is bat, yes)

EDIT:
It works if I rename the exe, not in bat but the exe... Btw thanks for the guide! :)

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 99 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing