Tutorial - Beginner's guide to making rFactor AIW

Here's a reposting of the guide to making the AIW file I did that was up on our old RSC forum.

You’ll need to download the AIWCamera editor [rFactorAIWCAMEditor1255.zip]. Go to http://www.rfactor.net/index.php?page=devcorner where it's listed under:
Waypoint and camera editing tools
* Download v1.255 [zip]
Put the unzipped file [rFactor AIWCAM Editor.exe] in your main rFactor folder and double click it to run rFactor with the editor.

You also need the 'Dev' files folder - this is essential for the AIW editor to work, but for some reason is not included with the editor. It used to be at RSC, but I've put a copy up here:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/agb595c/n/rF_AIW_Editor_DevFiles_rar
Unzip this to your main rFactor folder. It contains two folders:
DEVFILES - the folder needed for the editor to work.
AIW Editor Docs - contains screenshots of the editor plus another guide to using it.

You can also use the AIW CAM Editor by Guitarmaen to fine tune the AI. I didn’t use it myself as I found I could do all I needed using the rFactor editor. Get this from rFactor Central, it’s under Addons\ Mod tools. It doesn’t have to be in the rFactor folder, but you need to edit the rF_AIW_CAM.conf file to point to your rFactor installation.

Cheers,
Chub

Attachments

• laymans guide to aiw.pdf
    70 KB · Views: 5,678
Thanks a lot for the tutorial. First I'm trying to fix the undrivable track Mushroom Final.
I moved up these 6 waypoints that were below the bridge. The white arrows are the new .aiw
mushroom moved 6 points.png

but this track cannot be drivable yet.
There are about 20 points below the ground level that must be lifted up.
mushroom aiw-line.png

I don't know how to calculate the proper height, because the RF AIW editor doesn't display the track, the road at least. :confused:
I think I will set the highest point on the bridge first,
then try to set the middle points in between, by average.
Then the rest of points the same way.

The whole .aiw seems to be full of errors.
Isn't there a simpler way? Cannot I just load the track to Bob's Track Builder and adjust the .aiw in graphic mode?

Some clarification is needed.

ramp.jpg
How has this ramp been made? Is it a piece of track in BTB or is it an object?

bluething.jpg

Is this blue thing also a piece of track is an object?

Isn't there a simpler way? Cannot I just load the track to Bob's Track Builder and adjust the .aiw in graphic mode?
No, if there was a way I'm sure someone would have posted it. I don't have any inside info about BTB but I think when BTB generates the AIW waypoints it takes the drivelines and then sets the height to some high value and traces downwards till it hits a driveable track object. That's why the lower part sticks to the tops of any crossovers.

Last edited:
Exactly I don't know how this part of track should work.
Cars cannot go there, because the aiw is too low - they crash on the wall that is a part of the lower road.
For testing I made the two walls collision target = false,
but there is still a difference in height where the upper road begins and the cars go below this road.

The blue object is not rendered originally.
I think there is a jump from the yellow arrows over the road below.
I think also that such a long jump is too risky. The jumping cars will land on the lower road and crash with the lower wall.

I want to make the blue object a brigde, that is rendered, drivable, collision target and hat target.
Now I'm still in a dead point, because I don't know if I should generate a new .hat before .aiw mod
or first edit the .aiw then new .hat :sick:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.3%
  • 100% offline racing