Trying to get my setup right

Hi guys,

I'm a complete newbie here, and having just bought rFactor and my G27 wheel, I was trying to get a nice setup. I've downloaded the DRM Revival mod and the 1990 Spa track and installed them. I used Ryders mod manager to install the mod and just plonked the track in manually.

When I go into the game, I set the mod up to use the Lancia Beta (On the understanding it will probably be the easiest car for my skill level!) using the H shifter. I've set the difficulty at the highest and turned of the auto clutch option.

Some problems I'm having:

1) The track texture seems very low resolution and speckled, distractingly so. It does not look nice at all! Also where I skid or slide, the smoke kicked up is green, which seems odd to me. I have my graphics options set to maximum.

EDIT: Fixed, didn't realise there was an external setup program, now in DX9 with full screen resolution!!

2) I understood with the DRM Revival mod, we would have to double clutch, but I don't seem to have too. I can quite happily change only pressing the clutch in once as I would in my road car, maybe I've mis-interpreted what it means to have to double clutch, but I thought I would have to press the clutch in, shift to neutral, release the clutch, reengage the clutch, select my next gear then release the clutch again.

Does anyone have any help for me or suggestions as to how I can improve my experience? (though it is already amazing the bus stop chicane in that car is just heartstopping!!)

I am about to install the LEO Plugin as reccomended in the mod manual, does anyone have any good G27 settings? (I prefer realistic rather than competitive)

The reason you can change gear without using the clutch properly is this isn't simulated in rFactor very well. It'll let you crash the gears without using the clutch, and both your engine+tires will just take the punishment.

There is a plugin which addresses this, and forces you to repeat your shift if you ever get it wrong. I haven't had a chance to try it myself, but here it is. That should improve driving with your H shifter.

You do Blip the throttle though ?

Haha, ooops, forgot to write down the most important stage. Yes, I do of course, otherwise there would be no point! And of course I am only talking about times when a double clutch is necessary, obviously not attempting this every shift, just the big downshifts!

So even if I don't double clutch, the car will not lurch significantly or seem to lose any grip, but my tyre / engine / gearbox wear will be increased in the game?

Having never owned a wheel before, I don't have anything to compare it too - I nearly didn't buy it, as I found it on offer, £100 off and immediately purchased it, only to be told they were out of stock and when they got the new stock in, it would be full price again. I have to say though, I am so happy with it. I have always loved driving games, since the days of the lotus series and I feel like I am rediscovering the genre.

Well... In racing condition, you don't have to double-clutch... Double-clutching would only be used in your everyday car to be kind to your gearbox...

In a race car, just single-clutch, do your heel and toe and here you go...

When in fourth gear in his Formula Ford back when he was racing, my father wasn't even going into 3rd and 2nd gear for a tight corner... He was holding the clutch and blipping them and finally only released the clutch on the 1st gear...

To be honest, you don't really have time to double-clutch in race condition :)

Well... In racing condition, you don't have to double-clutch... Double-clutching would only be used in your everyday car to be kind to your gearbox...

In a race car, just single-clutch, do your heel and toe and here you go...

When in fourth gear in his Formula Ford back when he was racing, my father wasn't even going into 3rd and 2nd gear for a tight corner... He was holding the clutch and blipping them and finally only released the clutch on the 1st gear...

To be honest, you don't really have time to double-clutch in race condition :)

I was going by the mods included pdf which does explicitly state the need to double clutch:

What is the effect?
All given gearup, geardown ,clutch and double-clutch times are now to zero.
The player now must use the clutch, has to double-clutch and needs to use the H-shifter.…
it´s fun to drive when you have to control the times on your own and we don´t want to cancel
this option.

It's a null issue for me now anyway, as I'm going to hopefully join the Clio series instead, it seems a gentler introduction for a beginner like myself!!

Having never owned a wheel before, I don't have anything to compare it too - I nearly didn't buy it, as I found it on offer, £100 off and immediately purchased it, only to be told they were out of stock and when they got the new stock in, it would be full price again. I have to say though, I am so happy with it. I have always loved driving games, since the days of the lotus series and I feel like I am rediscovering the genre.

Well you didn't go wrong by buying G27. And 100 off to top it off Beauty!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 374 16.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 256 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%