AC Try out #2 Vintage cars@Deutschlandring, Tuesday 12th October 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Darn... (This is exactly what led me to think that the Skoda was waaaaaay faster than the rest last time around.)
Will have a peek at the server config and try and remember what Rasmus said about it all! :D
Neil, since last race I've changed the Skoda version on the practice server with the version on s.gp.

Neil, since last race I've changed the Skoda version on the practice server with the version on s.gp.
OK I just managed to join the server and I'm certain that I still only have the old version of the Skoda (probably v1.7). Superficially though it looks like the info is on the server so it should be able to do the checksum - will now find those instructions and check 'em properly :)

I could not tell the difference. I used the server on the last race and it seemed the same car to me. Set the car up on the server and it felt the same for the race. Strange. I do have V1.9 which is up to date i believe

OK, I finally got to the bottom of the problem - a sneaky problem indeed, caused by Windows treating ".LNK" files to directories almost like they were symbolic links or indeed real directories, but NOT quite the same. The awesomely wonderful side effect is that when you click on a .LNK to a directory in Windows Explorer, it opens just fine, but if you try to use it in a path (e.g. from another bit of software, like the dedi server!) then no dice. Gotta love Windows though... :thumbsup:

The even more annoying bit is that by default on a Windows box, you need special privileges to make the nice symbolic links which make it all work properly (Rasmus and others set up the original links a long time ago now). I've probably/maybe cured that issue but it'll require a logout/login cycle to take effect, which will require us to restart all of the race servers so I'm not doing that tonight :)

For the time being though, I've fixed the Skoda folder and it didn't hesitate to kick me when I tried to join with v1.7. Yay...

I saw some guys practicing today. Ernie in the Mini and Axel in the GTA were very close. I was about 1,5 s slower in the Skoda.
Did some laps behind Axel ad that was great! He created a gap of about 3 s on the straight with his superior top speed but in the wood section and the hairpins I was almost able to close the gap. The trouble with the Skoda is that if you make a small mistake the loss of speed keeps counting until a tight corner.

So with Ernie in the Mini, Axel in the GTA and Allan in the 718 it promises to become a very interesting event tomorrow!

Last edited:
Great race everyone, and congrats Axel! Man, I have never been so confused about how people are getting such laptimes during practice/quali, just glad I could finally work it out and get close in lap times to @Axel Moebius during the race at least. Amazing pace Axel, very well deserved win :thumbsup:

@Kek700's pace was also really quite something to behold in that mini, and @HF2000 nearly got me at the end!

I think the main things I realised was that I was not carrying anywhere near enough speed into the very long right hander in the middle of the lap, and I wasn't making the most of the downshifts to rotate the car. That alone was 2 seconds, which was a real revelation when the first 4:03 finally came. :coffee:

Simresults: https://simresults.net/211012-x8D

My VR onboard:

Last edited:
I knew the outcome before I ever raced, the mini is the quickest around here but it has three big flaws, well with me driving anyway. :unsure:

First, you have to have it on the edge of stability to get it to go quickly.
I can go quicker here in practice, but I have to take big risks to do it, so that was not really a done deal in the race.

Second, if anyone spins in front of you there is a big chance of an off if you have to lift at all unless you are pointing straight.
Thirdly, you are always going to get zapped on the uphill long straight. I can just about slipstream the Skoda, just, but I will probably lose the advantage of the first right-hander, Porsche and Alfa, no way.
The only chance I stood is to have a pile-up at the start and I could get a good gap, well that was not going to happen.:O_o:

Thirdly, qualifying was as near to useless as it can be, that did not help my morale.:(
All sounds bad and I was a bit disappointed not to give the mini the chance it should have.

But and this is a big But, I love the mini and had a great time driving the wee beasty.
Would not change my 40 minutes of driving it, where ever I came.:):):)

A great and enjoyable race @HF2000 thanks for including the mini, I was worried it was going to be excluded.:unsure:

Well done survivers too, and just one very important point, it was a real treat to see our Chris struggling, even if he shone in the race, won't forget that in a hurry.:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

@HF2000,
Sorry for the no show,getting to grips with the new comp and monitors,big jump from 24in to 32,in lol.I keep getting
ACS.EXE stopped working so if any 1 has any ideas,im all ears and thumbs,congrats to podium,hopefully be at Bathurst..:);):thumbsup:
I understand, Allan. I would have liked you very much with us tonight to see how the Porsche would perform in your skilled hands. Hope to have you back on track soon.

@HF2000,
Sorry for the no show,getting to grips with the new comp and monitors,big jump from 24in to 32,in lol.I keep getting
ACS.EXE stopped working so if any 1 has any ideas,im all ears and thumbs,congrats to podium,hopefully be at Bathurst..:);):thumbsup:

Maybe you've already done this and not sure on your acs.exe issue but lobbing all your files, documents and games to a new hard drive/partition and installing a clean windows is a good start with a new computer.

First of all, thank you to everyone for joining us tonight and helping us collect data.
Congratulations to Axel for the win and Chris for his 'remarkable progress'.

I had a great race! Qualified third but swamped by any non-Skoda in the long run to the woods section. From position 8 I had great battles with Guido and Denis and after I had 'clean air' I could start closing the gap with Chris. On the last lap in the last corner I could almost jump in his trunk but the strength of the Alfa allowed him to stay 2nd.
The different characteristics of those cars made this event very dynamic and I liked it a lot.

So now it's the final conclusion: are we going to have a championship with these four cars on vintage tracks?

Everyone in favour, please raise your hand!

Last edited:
First thanks everyone for joining tonight and so helping with gathering data.
Congrats to Axel for the win and Chris for his 'remarkable progress'.

I had a great race! Qualified third but overrun by every non-Skoda in the long run to the forest section. Had great battles with Guido and Denis and after I had 'clean air' I was gaining on Chris. In the last lap in the final corner I could almost jump into his trunk but the power of the Alfa made sure he could keep 2nd.
The different characteristics of those cars made this event very dynamic and I think great fun.

So then it's now for the final conclusion: are we going to have a championship with these four cars on vintage tracks?

All who are in favor, please raise your hand!

Raises hand.

I think the mix of cars makes it really interesting. The different cars will be strong on different tracks. And fun, mostly it was good fun the last time.

Hand touches ceiling :thumbsup:

After a very interesting quali (Chris, I´ll pm you where to deliver the beers ;)) and some unforced errors I actually surprised myself and put in an almost PB in the absolutely last second. :inlove:

After the "dynamic" start phase (great job everyone, dynamic, not chaotic :thumbsup:)
unforced errors where my theme of the day. (just like NOS last week.:cry:)

Seems like everyday frustrations take their toll.
So I´ll take a break and join you again later.

Have fun on "Mount Murderama"

MFG Carsten

Hand touches ceiling :thumbsup:

After a very interesting quali (Chris, I´ll pm you where to deliver the beers ;)) and some unforced errors I actually surprised myself and put in an almost PB in the absolutely last second. :inlove:

After the "dynamic" start phase (great job everyone, dynamic, not chaotic :thumbsup:)
unforced errors where my theme of the day. (just like NOS last week.:cry:)

Seems like everyday frustrations take their toll.
So I´ll take a break and join you again later.

Have fun on "Mount Murderama"

MFG Carsten
Take care, Carsten!

I owe an apology to Bart for the incident in quali. I had done my practice alone so it hadn't dawned on me just how big the speed differences were. I was several seconds behind on the start/finish straight, but had made all that up by the end of the long banked right hander. Thought I had enough pace to go past and into the twisty section, but with the longer braking zones and lower cornering speed of the Porsche compared to the Mini I ended up being a roadblock on the apex and we came together.

In the race the Porsche was really quick off the line so I made up some places there, but again got outpaced by the minis and skodas in the downhill twisty section. The last five or six laps were a constant battle with Paul in the Skoda, he got right on my bumper by the end of the hairpins, I would pull a gap uphill past the finish line, then he was there again by the hairpins next lap. Fun challenge for me to keep him behind, must have been frustrating for Paul :)

Really enjoyed the Porsche here (feels so good when you get the slip angle just right), but the way it made it's laptime made it kinda off sync with the rest of the cars. Curious to see how it pans out on shorter tracks.

Thanks for organizing Han!

I made a change to my setup after quali (DUH!) so it took me a while to settle into my pace. The Skodas were all over me through the wooded section and I turned in on Han whilst wrestling with the Alfa. Sorry Han I should have left more room. I pulled over to let you through but it was Guido behind me, so although I took a small penalty that didn't help you Han. I didn't put up a big fight when you caught back up (as discussed on voice chat) but I fear that I probably cost you a shot at passing Chris towards the end of the race mate. Sorry once again. :(

I was hoping for some tips from Allan (the Porsche whisperer) but his issues with his new PC scuppered that idea.

So I was on my own again wondering why I was 15 secs off the pace. The Porsche goes fast in a straight line but is a bugger around the corners and really slow (for me) in the hairpin sections.

I lost the will to live in the race and just threw the towel in.

I'd hoped to stick with the Porsche and try and get better but it's so frustrating when others can go quicker and you don't know what to do - welcome (for a few minutes) to my world Chris :)

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing