Truck Driver

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Triangle Studios and Soedesco have released some new footage of their upcoming trucking game - Truck Driver.

Taking on the brave if not somewhat daunting task of going head-to-head with the undisputed king of the truck driving game franchise, SCS Software, Dutch development studio Triangle Studios are putting the final touches to their new and admittedly rather cool looking new game - Truck Driver.

Now from the title I'm sure it will leave none of you in any doubt what the game is set to be about when it launches later this year - yep, you guessed it - truck driving!

Truck Driver Game.jpg

One would be forgiven for thinking that a game based on hauling load isn't that fun, but with the frankly astounding success achieved by SCS Software with their European Truck Sim 2 and American Truck Simulator titles, it certainly appears that games based on truck driving have a very large and keen player base within the PC gaming community. Rather than copy and paste what SCS have achieved with their enviable back catalogue of titles, Soedesco are looking for a slightly different take on the truck driving genre, whilst incorporating much of the empire building and realism features that have made the aforementioned titles so popular in recent years.

One thing that Truck Driver will certainly hold above its rival when it launches later this year is multi platform release, with the game set to deploy on both PC and Xbox One and PlayStation 4, bringing the joy of long distance deliveries to an entirely new audience.

Giving us some insight into the latest developments within the game, check out the dev blog post below:
For added fun, also check out the teaser trailer released recently:

Looks like this could be a fun game. Looking forward to hearing more about it as build up to release continues.

For more from the development of Truck Driver, check out our soon to be opened Truck Driver sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

It'll be interesting to see what this game brings to the table, given the dominance of SCS sims over the years.

It's hard to tell anything from a short promo, but one thing that caught my eye was that it appeared to suggest that your hauling could affect the "community". The ability to have an actual affect on the world around you based on your cargo decisions could be an interesting dynamic.

One thing I really hope they get right is the AI traffic. I used to love the relaxation of cruising around in my virtual SCS truck, but I gave up some time ago because I got fed up of the brain-dead AI. In a game where a huge part of the gameplay is manoeuvring through traffic, I think it's ridiculous that we're getting whole states/countries as DLC and yet no effort at all to improve the AI and make it in any way realistic. THAT is a DLC I'd pay for happily, if it was the only way to get it done.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how this one plays out. :thumbsup:

It'll be interesting to see what this game brings to the table, given the dominance of SCS sims over the years.

It's hard to tell anything from a short promo, but one thing that caught my eye was that it appeared to suggest that your hauling could affect the "community". The ability to have an actual affect on the world around you based on your cargo decisions could be an interesting dynamic.

One thing I really hope they get right is the AI traffic. I used to love the relaxation of cruising around in my virtual SCS truck, but I gave up some time ago because I got fed up of the brain-dead AI. In a game where a huge part of the gameplay is manoeuvring through traffic, I think it's ridiculous that we're getting whole states/countries as DLC and yet no effort at all to improve the AI and make it in any way realistic. THAT is a DLC I'd pay for happily, if it was the only way to get it done.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how this one plays out. :thumbsup:
That's actually quite an interesting concept, around paying to improve a certain feature in a game.

I too would pay to improve something like AI in any given title, or weather system etc.

Interesting thought .

One of these developers need to give us race transport dlc where we transport our race car to the track, unload it then turn laps in said race car.

Boom, now go get it done guys.

They should make a 360° motorsport game: from research to hiring engineers, mechanics and drivers; manage the logistic side and then racing.

I already have the name for this game:
"Euro Truck Motorsport iAssettoMobilistaDirtFactorBurnsCARS manager"

They should make a 360° motorsport game: from research to hiring engineers, mechanics and drivers; manage the logistic side and then racing.

I already have the name for this game:
"Euro Truck Motorsport iAssettoMobilistaDirtFactorBurnsCARS manager"

Motorsport Manager is pretty good game, but definitelly dead. Lacking there f1 licensed contents, more tracks and races etc. Modding is too limited. Anyway, I had there a lot of fun previous season: with Sauber I was 8 and 12 in Australia, next race I failed with tires management and was 19 and 20 :D

I'd enjoy these games a lot more if I could drive a box truck or a bus or something smaller. I love the long-haul, task-based cruising concept but I find the big rigs frustrating enough to drive that it ruins any fun I get out of it. Seems like a no-brainer to let us have the option to start in a smaller delivery truck and work our way up to the big rigs (should we desire to do so).

One of these developers need to give us race transport dlc where we transport our race car to the track, unload it then turn laps in said race car.

Boom, now go get it done guys.
Well, that would be awesome, but I think that getting one of these things done right is hard enough for one development team.

However, it is obvious to me that a lot of people with simracing/simdriving peripherals are the audience of both truck sims and race sims (like myself...). So it seems SO obvious to me that these truck sims should at least include the task of taking a bunch of race cars from a garage anywhere to specific/nice/suggestive enough locations in places like Le Mans, Nurburg, Silverstone and Monza…or the nearest international airport, since we also like to race in places like Suzuka, Interlagos…

I am not even demanding it to be so specific to raise license issues, just suggestive enough…

Last edited:
Well, you could argue that the smaller vehicles aren't doing long-haul in the first place, which rather negates the point of having all of Europe available.

And trust me, driving a truck in ETS/ATS is exponentially easier than doing so in real life. :roflmao:

Well, you could argue that the smaller vehicles aren't doing long-haul in the first place, which rather negates the point of having all of Europe available.

And trust me, driving a truck in ETS/ATS is exponentially easier than doing so in real life. :roflmao:

Only because in real life you can't or at least aren't allowed to nudge some of the other drivers out the way.

Motorsport Manager is pretty good game, but definitelly dead. Lacking there f1 licensed contents, more tracks and races etc. Modding is too limited. Anyway, I had there a lot of fun previous season: with Sauber I was 8 and 12 in Australia, next race I failed with tires management and was 19 and 20 :D

You are right, i was talking about Motorsport Manager for its mechanics rather than its content

Only because in real life you can't or at least aren't allowed to nudge some of the other drivers out the way.
Never mind the other drivers.
Try dodging suicidal cyclists with only your mirrors as a source of information.
One of these days I'll simply snap, grab a baseball-bat and go on a rampage on the nearest bicycle-path. :D

In a lot of racing game careers you start in go-karts or a junior Formula car, yet all of the Nordschleife is often available for when you work your way up to the big cars. What's the difference? I didn't say the big rigs shouldn't be there, just that it would be nice to have a slight variety of vehicles and job types and the option to drive smaller vehicles from time to time. That's a pretty common thing in most car/racing games, why do you find it unacceptable in a truck driving game?

I never implied that it was? I just don't like how it throws you right in the deep end from the get-go, no learning the ropes in smaller vehicles like in most games.

Never mind the other drivers.
Try dodging suicidal cyclists with only your mirrors as a source of information.
One of these days I'll simply snap, grab a baseball-bat and go on a rampage on the nearest bicycle-path. :D
I'm surprised camera tech hasn't infiltrated motoring more widely. There was an interview with someone from Aston Martin that I saw recently and he says it would be way better for everyone if cameras were more widely adopted over mirrors.

I'm surprised camera tech hasn't infiltrated motoring more widely. There was an interview with someone from Aston Martin that I saw recently and he says it would be way better for everyone if cameras were more widely adopted over mirrors.

My truck has a camera which comes on with the left turn indicator, bloody amazing quality and awesome at night. It only really struggles when the sun is on at and it suffers from lens flare.

The reversing camera isn't too bad either. I mean I've still hit stuff going backwards, but at least I've seen what I've been running into.

The trouble with cameras is that they break.
One of our replacement-drivers scraped the reversing-camera off my truck, and my 'beloved' mechanic hasn't gotten around to fixing it after 6 months.

My point is that it's a lot easier to use the mirrors and if applicable, using the cams as back-up, than the other way around.
We've got several drivers who refuse to use trailers without reversing cameras because they can't even reverse them into a gate, let alone navigate them around the inner city.

Forget about the fancy cameras. If they would only start to fire Scania's design department and put a decent bed in that bloody torture device...:laugh:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 155 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 293 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 423 39.7%