• Guest, RaceDepartment is now on Discord!  Join Here

Tripples or 49" wide screen

Kurvz

75RPM
Premium
May 2, 2011
Hi guys,

Just wanted some views on what is the preferred choice, triple screens 27" or a super wide 49".

At present, I am on a 35" ultrawide with G-Sync, I do have a rift S but its pants on ACC.

I'm looking to upgrade GFX when next gen are out at present on a RTX 2080.

But I'm interested maybe going for a different display, I'm thinking if I go for triple 27" non G-Sync how bad will screen tearing be ?, if I went for a 49" would go for a G-Sync.

Cheers Kurvz

Motorhead68

10RPM
Premium
Nov 2, 2017
Hi - I have tried both and you can make good arguments for either option and ultimately it depends your requirements / limitations.

For the last couple of years I have been on a 49'' super ultrawide with Gsync - this works well for me due to: lack of real estate for having a tripple screen set up, no need to fiddle with Nvidia surround or the like for each sim, easy to switch between VR and monitor, less cables etc -

Just my thoughts

stigs2cousin

25RPM
Jun 5, 2020
I vote for the tripples, with 60° angle they don´t need much more space than a 49er.

And even if you don´t use the bigger viewing angles for looking at and behind the apex
(which you absolutely should) the peripheral vision helped me immensely with car control.
In real life i have a countersteer reflex which showed up in the sim after i changed to tripple screens.

That was not the case with a 42" screen in 70 cm distance.

And setup was not complicated for a computer noob, here is all i needed:

Chris Haye ftw:thumbsup:

MFG Carsten

CC

9000RPM
Premium
Apr 27, 2013
I vote for the tripples, with 60° angle they don´t need much more space than a 49er.

And even if you don´t use the bigger viewing angles for looking at and behind the apex
(which you absolutely should) the peripheral vision helped me immensely with car control.
In real life i have a countersteer reflex which showed up in the sim after i changed to tripple screens.

That was not the case with a 42" screen in 70 cm distance.

And setup was not complicated for a computer noob, here is all i needed:

Chris Haye ftw:thumbsup:

MFG Carsten
Yes I vote triples also

I’m running triple 32 Samsung ultrawide at 144hz I think with the total span it’s roughly 2.1 meters wide the actual same width as say a formula 1 Spec car or GT3 car,

gives me goose pimples driving ingame it’s a special experience you don’t get with a 49 ultrawide or a TV

I’m talking wall to wall viewing experience I am there ingame with TrackIR it’s sensational! :geek:

Reactions: TShrimp and Kurvz

TShrimp

100RPM
May 7, 2020
Hi guys,

Just wanted some views on what is the preferred choice, triple screens 27" or a super wide 49".

At present, I am on a 35" ultrawide with G-Sync, I do have a rift S but its pants on ACC.

I'm looking to upgrade GFX when next gen are out at present on a RTX 2080.

But I'm interested maybe going for a different display, I'm thinking if I go for triple 27" non G-Sync how bad will screen tearing be ?, if I went for a 49" would go for a G-Sync.

Cheers Kurvz
NVidia supports Freesync now, and most monitors now support that without high price of G-Sync. Before my upgrade to a 5700xt, I had two GTX1070 in SLI running freesync, and it worked great on my MSI 34" Ultrawide (which is not on their list of supported/tested monitors).

I tried triples for a very short time, and didn't care for it personally. Therefore I am trying to talk my wife into one of these.

Last edited:

turen009

10RPM
Premium
Apr 22, 2020
Great info. I only play AC, iRacing, rFactor 2. I have a 27-in now (2560x1440, 144hz). I am trying to decide whether to buy 2 more of this monitor or go for a 49" ultrawide. My PC is AMD Ryzen 5 3600 and Nvidia RTX 2070. Any advice?