Triples setup advice please

Hi all,

I'm really struggling to make my mind up on triples setup for my SimLab rig, so hope community can help!
My budget is very limited since I just invested massively in the rig, DD wheel and loadcell pedals.
So it is a choice between 24" 144hz and 27" 75hz tiples (I currently own single 27" Acer 75hz monitor)...
My GPU is GTX 1060 6GB so I doubt I will achieve FPS anywhere close to 100 FPS, so is it really worth going down to 24" for 144hz refresh rate?

Should I just stick to 27" triples at 75hz? considering I will not be able to upgrade my GPU anytime soon, without getting divorced anyway :)

My initial plan for to go 75hz, as I'd only need to purchase two more monitors. But there are so many raving reviews on 144hz simracing online, that I started to doubt my initial decision.

P.S. not interested in VR for various reasons, so don't even go there please :)

thanks all in advance!

Make sure you got the width/ space for triples mate. I bought a secondhand 27" 1440p 144hz triple setup with Simlabs stand and yes there great, but after setup in my bedroom there just to wide ,so moved whole rig setup to a corner in spare room and they still getting in the way at times, so now thinking of selling them and going back to my old 46" TV.

Upvote 0
that's actually a very good point mate. I might have to think this through a bit more.

thank you

Here picture from few weeks ago when first setup in bedroom. Once my bed was backdown the left monitor was only about 2 inches away from my shoulder when I laid down in my single sized bed.

Attachments

• IMG_20190407_202304~2.jpg
    IMG_20190407_202304~2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 639
Upvote 0
Thanks a lot for the picture!
It looks like 24” is the way for me, it’s actually plenty of screen estate + added benefit of 144hz for the future.
It also looks 27” triples would be taking too much space in my case too...

Thank you very much MeNoMoney, very very useful!

Upvote 0
I'll be the jerk who says .. Buy a Samsung 49" ultrawide.!

So much less hassle and just as good for immersion... I pulled down my triple 144hz 32" setup in favour of the ultra ultra wide and would never go back...

Food for thought!

Upvote 0
My 2p is higher refresh rate the better, might make sense now but later on when you upgrade you'll be annoyed. You can invest in better gpu later, you really notice high FPS on the faster cars.

With a smaller screens its worth looking into pushing the screens towards you between the motor and the wheel if you can, get the things as close to you as possible to maximise FOV. I put a 100mm extension shaft plus a Q1R on the DD wheel motor and the monitor sits just behind the wheel with just enough clearance for my hands on the shifter paddles unobstructed, took a bit of planning to get right but was worth it. It also means you can use the cars dash on the monitor visible through the wheel, depends on the car model or use a dash overlay. I have 3x 29 inch ultrawides which are essentially stretched 24 inch monitors and up close its pretty decent.

The centre of the side monitors ideally want to be perpendicular to your eyesight to avoid distortions, this needs a bit of calculating to get it right. If you are tight for space, makes even more sense to pull the monitors towards you as they will be more angled in and take up less space.

Saying that looking at a lot of other setups 27 inch monitors seem to be the sweet spot for size. Another way to think about it is to buy one 144hz 27 inch and wait to buy the other 2 when you can later. That's what I did.

Upvote 0

So much less hassle and just as good for immersion... I pulled down my triple 144hz 32" setup in favour of the ultra ultra wide and would never go back...

Food for thought!

Agree with this.

Looking at the prices for them now actually makes a lot of sense, when i got my setup these 49 inch were very new and expensive the same price as getting the 3 29 inch ultrawides on offer that I have now.
Running a 49inch ultrawide is also easier on the GPU at 4.1m pixles for the 1080p one, so higher graphics settings for the same FPS.

Upvote 0
I have triple Curved MSI Optix MAG241C 144HZ - 1MS Refresh with G-Sync enabled,
RTX 2080 Jetstream,
i7-9700k 8 cores watercooled,
32gb Hyper x fury, 2400mhz ddr4

Ultra settings in-game and PP on high, currently 1 x car @5760x1080 143hz I am hitting 180fps,
26 cars grid I am hitting almost 80-95 fps on average,

I am going to upgrade to a watercooled RTX 2080TI Sea Hawk X over the coming weeks,

but hoping for 100fps with a 1060 card is totally unrealistic specially with any decent settings tbh,
specially racing online or with friends, youll be hitting 50-60fps max even with 10-15 cars most likely even less.

anything less than 100fps on triples is so eye draining.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Food for thought!
Yeah mistake I made also and my stuff is brand new, I would say go for a 50" ultrawide or something,
not because it makes more sense simply because Nvidia control panel is total trash, so had to buy DisplayFusion to gain autosplit on my NV Surround,
you can buy all the fancy crap you like but with half assed graphics support from the manufacturer its not worth the hassle. :D

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for your input, very valuable. My current 27" is right behind the wheel and I totally agree on this approach. Attached my old 24" as side screen at 45 degrees to see how much space it will take. It didn't look too bad, additionally turns out side arms on my stand do swing backwards into butterfly position, if it makes sense, so I could do that after I finished racing to save space I guess.
I am hoping to upgrade to 1080ti within next 8-12 months, so I should probably go with 144hz.

I did think about ultra wide, but isn't vision angle still narrower than with triples? I mean for side by side racing e.t..c?

I might have to watch some more youtube videos of people's setups to understand more.

@Trebormoore84 would you mind posting photo of your ultra wide with view from cockpit? just to understand how much "fits" into it?

Reactions: CC
Upvote 0
I did think about ultra wide, but isn't vision angle still narrower than with triples? I mean for side by side racing e.t..c?

Yes however you get the mirror in the screen, think the thing you lack is that complete side to side peripheral awareness, but then Crew Chief and radar apps are great to overcome that, plus its so wide there are no obstructive bezels. The bezels on 16:9 annoyingly are where you look to the apex, obviously dependant on screen size and how close it is.

I have 2x 1080ti and they have to work full gas to get the triples to work, even then can't quite run full graphics have to turn down shadows and reflections (in RF2 mainly) to get a solid 100-120fps. If you run that 49 inch super wide with a 1080ti it'll be in the sweet spot for.

Also with games like ACC, there is no real triple screen support and no real emphasis they are going to bother fixing it any time soon, its all stretched and a bit pointless, that game specifically looks far better on the Samsung ultrawide.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yes mate i posted the rig here: https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/show-your-cockpit.19/page-181

Centre one has a tobii eyetracker fixed to it. Pretty useless and should have got the one without to get it a bit lower.

Appreciate its a tad excessive, but that's just how i roll...

Nice Rig! I have same Simplicity wheel by the way..., but Protosimtech pt2 pedals however, really like them. All on a strange hybrid of Simlab GT2 and P1 rig. Bought second hand, I think it was original more expensive GT2 rig maybe.

guess will have to watch more videos and try to make my mind up... still very much torn apart between all the options, with addition of ultra wide now :)))

Upvote 0
Im a little bit on the same boat,i have the TR1 rig from sim-lab but dont have the triple stand yet...so my monitor is pretty far away at the moment,around 95cm viewing distance i got now.
Im using an AOC AG352UCG 35” 100hz Ultrawide monitor,but now im really missing the side views,im racing different now...more careful,its not how i like it atleast.
But when i got the triple screen stand im also considering what im gonna do....triples is pretty expensive if you want decent ones,and i actually thought that you shouldnt had that much view on a 49” screen like the video....impresses me that its actually quite good.

Upvote 0
Maybe worth trying ultra wide with a head tracker... I have seen one guy racing on a normal screen with head tracker. looks weird, but he swears by it.

This is a very particular solution some people love it some don't, I did this for a while on the single ultrawide for about 6 months with the settings at 1:1 with no acceleration and I quite liked it, it felt quite natural. You can look into the apexes and mirrors and move your head to see round the pillars in tin tops, initially a bit weird but it did make sense after a few hours. Someone posted about this recently and worth looking at that thread on how to do this cheaply as a test.

With this super wide screen and triples however I don't think its such a great idea as with the extra screen space it all gets a bit too weird, far too much going on, personally I want the car / drivers head / camera to be absolutely fixed to the car in the triple setup with the world moving around it and you turn your head naturally into apex and mirrors, plus the wheel in a fixed position. To me this is the most immersive, but this gets into personal preference.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 237 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 165 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 159 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 120 7.5%
  • < 5 years