Triples or 49 inch widescreen

Zoof2

Premium
I currently have triples but have had a a rough 12 months with gpu failures and nvidia surround after windows updates .

Im thinking of going 49 inch widescreen to only have to connect one monitor and put less strain on my new 1080ti. What do people think who have tried both will i miss the extra FOV from triples ?
Also is it better to set up triples in windows extended mode or with nvidia surround as i have previously ? If I do stay with triples

I switched from triples to the 49" a few weeks ago.

Pros:
much more compact, I saved a ton of space (my main reason)
no bezels!
144 Hz is creamy smooth
Plays super-nice with Nvidia
No "virtual monitor" BS, constant changing parameters, etc
Great colors, HDR capable, works with G-sync
compatible with on-rig mounting with D-Box motion
Adjustable position when combined with the stock sliding mount
Need to mount close to your wheel to really be effective
Great solution for titles with out triple monitor support such as ACC.

Cons:
Loses some FOV
Need to mount close to your wheel to really be effective
sliding mount requires a bit of a kluge to mount on your rig
Windows 10 puts the taskbar functions at the extreme left and right edges

If you can mount this close to your wheel, it's a great solution. You do lose some FOV, but the lack of bezels makes up for this, IMHO. Really, you can't go wrong either way. I'm in the middle of my SFX-100 4DOF motion build, and its recommended to mount your monitor on your frame by many. The 49" is the best solution here, triples just aren't practical for on-frame mounting on a D-Box type setup.

Upvote 0
I have both. So I just took photos and let you decide. Your triple fov might be different.
upload_2019-6-30_3-32-29.png

upload_2019-6-30_3-28-4.png

Please forgive my poor cable management.

I actually use my 49 for working. (I have two extra screens for the computer in the first picture, so I can display my coding editor, papers, websites, etc all at once)..... I guess that was a huge waste of 49's "talent". I probably should one day switch the monitors.:O_o:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have both. So I just took photos and let you decide. Your triple fov might be different. My rule of setting up the fov is if I set the steering wheel to be visible, the one in the screen will be approximately the same size and position as the actual wheel I am using.
Fortunately my surround works fine. The best thing for the 49 is that my rear mirror no long splits in half because of the screen border.:roflmao:
View attachment 312791 View attachment 312790
Please forgive my poor cable management.

I actually use my 49 for working. (I have two extra screens for the computer in the first picture, so I can display my coding editor, papers, websites, etc all at once)..... I guess that was a huge waste of 49's "talent". I probably should one day switch the monitors.:O_o:
In that triple image:
Did you configure the triples correctly? It looks like the image is just stretched instead calculated properly.
Afaik it should look like this, with straight mirrors:
287618_519051558121167_87687488_o.jpg

Upvote 0
In that triple image:
Did you configure the triples correctly? It looks like the image is just stretched instead calculated properly.
Afaik it should look like this, with straight mirrors:
287618_519051558121167_87687488_o.jpg
Well I am running Nv surround and the triple screen configuration is not available for me. (Or it should work but I did not get it right.)I tried my method and formulas I found on the internet and I got more or less the similar results. Do you mind sharing your way of configuration?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well I am running Nv surround and the triple screen configuration is not available for me. I tried my method and formulas I found on the internet and I got more or less the similar results. Do you mind sharing your way of configuration?
It's just a random image, I don't have triples but I know some who have. I'm on 34" 3440x1440, not comparable of course.
I must wondered because the main advantage of triples is the massively increased side view, which you don't really have at all with your triples.

Sadly I have no clue how to do it but from what I've heard you do the nvidia surround thingy and then change some stuff in assetto corsa to activate the triple rendering.

Only found this:
You went into the Nvidia Control Panel and enabled surround on the monitors and set them up correctly yes?

Then you should have 5760x1080 resolution. In AC just select that resolution and drop down the menu screen selection to triple monitor support and you're done.

In game, on track move the mouse to the right of the screen, scroll down the apps and goto the triple screen app and set it all up correcty, the screen width, your eye distance, the degree offset of your monitors and the bezel sizes for correct FOV.

Upvote 0
It's just a random image, I don't have triples but I know some who have. I'm on 34" 3440x1440, not comparable of course.
I must wondered because the main advantage of triples is the massively increased side view, which you don't really have at all with your triples.

Sadly I have no clue how to do it but from what I've heard you do the nvidia surround thingy and then change some stuff in assetto corsa to activate the triple rendering.

Only found this:
You went into the Nvidia Control Panel and enabled surround on the monitors and set them up correctly yes?

Then you should have 5760x1080 resolution. In AC just select that resolution and drop down the menu screen selection to triple monitor support and you're done.

In game, on track move the mouse to the right of the screen, scroll down the apps and goto the triple screen app and set it all up correcty, the screen width, your eye distance, the degree offset of your monitors and the bezel sizes for correct FOV.

Oof.... I always thought the triple screen setting should be run without surround or AC won't know I have 3 monitors. Therefore it never worked. Thank you for saving my life! Now my experience has been completely changed! I have updated the photos.

I thought I was trying to be helpful, but it was me who got saved at the end.:roflmao:

One thing to add. If AC is running on any screen wider than 16:9, 3 triple screen configuration can be used. Just hop into the game and play with the parameter to one's liking. This will prevent the stretch and give the user a wider side view. I used triple setting in the first photo with my 49 as well.

Upvote 0
Oof.... I always thought the triple screen setting should be run without surround or AC won't know I have 3 monitors. Therefore it never worked. Thank you for saving my life! Now my experience has been completely changed! I have updated the photos.

I thought I was trying to be helpful, but it was me who got saved at the end.:roflmao:

One thing to add. If AC is running on any screen wider than 16:9, 3 triple screen configuration can be used. Just hop into the game and play with the parameter to one's liking. This will prevent the stretch and give the user a wider side view. I used triple setting in the first photo with my 49 as well.
Hehe, awesome :D

To make a statement about which to choose:
I would go with the 49". You'll lose the great advantage of actually really seeing what's left and right of you but not all games support it, it takes a lot of space etc etc.

Imo it's just not worth to go triples with the super wide screens of today.
Exception: If you already got a really nice single screen, adding two more might be a good idea especially if you need truly separated monitors for other stuff as well.

Upvote 0
Hehe, awesome :D

To make a statement about which to choose:
I would go with the 49". You'll lose the great advantage of actually really seeing what's left and right of you but not all games support it, it takes a lot of space etc etc.

Imo it's just not worth to go triples with the super wide screens of today.
Exception: If you already got a really nice single screen, adding two more might be a good idea especially if you need truly separated monitors for other stuff as well.
Yup. The problem is not about the cost of screens, but the cost of a spare room that comfortably contains the rig. Lucky I am young and I live along, so I can arrange my entire living room to my like. (F**k the sofa, what a waste of space.) Someone married and with more than one kid should wish themselves good luck getting permission from his wife.:geek:

Upvote 0
Yup. The problem is not about the cost of screens, but the cost of a spare room that comfortably contains the rig. Lucky I am young and I live along, so I can arrange my entire living room to my like. (F**k the sofa, what a waste of space.) Someone married and with more than one kid should wish themselves good luck getting permission from his wife.:geek:
Hehe totally know what you mean!
I'm living with my girlfriend since 3 years now and since 2 years now I luckily have "the half room" basically for me alone.
We have a bedroom and a living room and a small, almost tiny 3rd room.
A big shelf on one side filled with all documents and books we have plus the printer. That's all that's hers too in this.
The rest is my desk with the PC and my wheelstand.

I have the 34" ultrawide between two normally sized speakers (20cm wide, 30cm deep and high), (doing some audio mixing).
I have 5cm to the left wall and 15cm to the shelf (books can be taken out only barely, lol).

Noooo way for a rig, triples or even the 49" :roflmao:
But at least she sees that this hobby is a nice one. Friends all over the world, improving my English, lot of grown ups instead of kiddies and yes, it's still "pc gaming" but simulating something that can be done almost 1:1 in real life and is cool and respected in real life :cool:
So she was all in for me spending money on the Fanatec csw bundle instead of a little holiday trip with her :inlove:

Upvote 0
Hehe totally know what you mean!
I'm living with my girlfriend since 3 years now and since 2 years now I luckily have "the half room" basically for me alone.
We have a bedroom and a living room and a small, almost tiny 3rd room.
A big shelf on one side filled with all documents and books we have plus the printer. That's all that's hers too in this.
The rest is my desk with the PC and my wheelstand.

I have the 34" ultrawide between two normally sized speakers (20cm wide, 30cm deep and high), (doing some audio mixing).
I have 5cm to the left wall and 15cm to the shelf (books can be taken out only barely, lol).

Noooo way for a rig, triples or even the 49" :roflmao:
But at least she sees that this hobby is a nice one. Friends all over the world, improving my English, lot of grown ups instead of kiddies and yes, it's still "pc gaming" but simulating something that can be done almost 1:1 in real life and is cool and respected in real life :cool:
So she was all in for me spending money on the Fanatec csw bundle instead of a little holiday trip with her :inlove:

Really happy you have a GF that understands your hobby and willing to sacrifice her trip to let you buy your rig. One does not always meet girls like that. I wish you can live happily ever after.

Back to the topic, I actually have an 34-inch ultrawide as well. It is now sitting besides my 49. The good news is that the 49 is not actually much wider than the ultrawide monitor. The 49 is pretty tall so I can easily place my speakers under it without worrying it blocking the propagation of the sound.

And about the books. 80/20 rigs not only can make cockpit but also is capable of making a rock solid "floating book shelf" above your table. You just need a clamp, a few extrusion bars and T-nuts. The whole cost can be under 50 USD (or whatever is equivalent), saving you a lot of space.

I bought my 49 a few years ago. Now you can get the 49 around 900 USD (Samsung) if I recall correctly. Not cheap definitely, but not something unreachable. The Viotek one costs only 799 USD on newegg right now. Other brand like dell will set you back a little further. Monitors are growing wider like the kidney of BMW. You are more likely to find a good deal today.

:sneaky:Time to make your GF happy and spend some cash on the 49.
upload_2019-6-30_6-43-25.png

Upvote 0
Appreciate the the different points of views. I did see a smasung 49inch in the flesh so to speak yesterday and it was impressive. I am just really hesitant il miss that extra FOV but i really would like the reduced stress of the triples and take a bit of stress off my GPU.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 102 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 183 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 360 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing